Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2017, 08:40 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

ST Tires - (China Bombs)

We went camping this weekend about an hour and a half from home, and had our first blow out. Our trailer is just under 1 year old, and we check and adjust our tire pressure early morning the day of our trips (including spare). Yet with all preventative checks it still happened. We were able to get AAA to put on our spare, and started researching horror stories of all of these cheap tires manufacturers put on. Luckily we noticed it ASAP as my wife was saw the tire smoke. When we pulled over the front tire was just melted, and the rear tire on that side was rubbing on the underside of the slide from the loss of the front tire, and once the blown tire was replaced it was just a cosmetic rubber burn mark, but I was fearful it may have damaged that tire in the process.

We've decided to replace all with Good Year Endurance tires because they are one of the few made in the US.

Now to my question. I can't seem to find the "recommended" PSI for these tires. I see the maximum cold psi, but not recommended. Tire dealer said run the sidewall max. Anyone have any experience or input on this topic?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-06-03 10.16.11.jpg (298.9 KB, 38 views)

-Tim

TV: 2015 F-150 XLT Crew Cab 3.5L Eco 4x4 Max Tow
TT: 2017 26BB
SB: Catalina 22
NoodlesWIU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:52 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Tim, I'm glad you didn't have worse damage. It sounds like you care for your tires. No TPMS I'm guessing?

There should be tire charts if you want to go by the weight of your trailer in setting the psi. Aks your tire company or check the internet. Personally, I do what most do and run at the max psi the tire states on the sidewall.

I'm curious how the Goodyear Endurance tires do. I may go that route in a year or two, and hopefully by then there will be some reviews.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:58 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

What brand were the previous tires?
If goodyear and you saved pics, they paid for my replacement and damage repair....

I have posted the contact info on other thread if you want to contact them
Old 06-05-2017, 11:33 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Tires that came with the Unit we bought last July were "Castle Rock" manufactured under the company Lions Head.

UPDATE: Just dropped off the trailer and with the 10 mile drive to the tire place the cord broke on the other tire, and was ready to go as well. My worst fear was almost realized of having another blown with no spare.

Notice the bulge on the right side of the tire compared to the left where the tread is separating.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-06-05 11.33.58.jpg (183.2 KB, 30 views)

-Tim

Old 06-05-2017, 12:29 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

When I had a blow out, I All ways replace both tires on that side. I am going to replace the tires on our new unit with GoodYear next month
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:29 PM   #6
Site Team

To answer your question, I would also run them at the sidewall pressure.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:14 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I had 2 Lions head tires blow on me on the same trip last year. Also a trailer only 1 year old. I've replaced them all with Goodyears and put a tpms on with steel stems.

fill em up to the 80 psi max to get the max load.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:26 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

I am also looking at adding TPMS now. My ignorance to the need for them was this. I figured, "Why would I need a fancy TPMS if I check the tires and pressure before each trip. If a blow out happens, I'll know immediately because I'll feel it. TPMS won't stop a tire failure, just alert me to it."

Well this trip has enlightened me of learning, you may not know a tire failure just happened, and you could be doing a ton of damage to your trailer if you don't get over and stop quickly.

-Tim

Old 06-06-2017, 08:45 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesWIU View Post
I am also looking at adding TPMS now. My ignorance to the need for them was this. I figured, "Why would I need a fancy TPMS if I check the tires and pressure before each trip. If a blow out happens, I'll know immediately because I'll feel it. TPMS won't stop a tire failure, just alert me to it."

Well this trip has enlightened me of learning, you may not know a tire failure just happened, and you could be doing a ton of damage to your trailer if you don't get over and stop quickly.
Tim,

A TPMS won't stop a sudden catestrophic tire failure, but in my opinion most "blow outs", not all, are preceded by a loss of tire pressure first. This is where the TPMS would warn you first, hopefully giving you time to pull over before the tire fell apart. When you see pics of the tires that are completely tore apart and the owner says they had a sudden blow out, how did they know it wasn't a loss of pressure over time causing it. The pics of the tires where a sidewall has a hole in it and the rest of the tire is in tact, now those appear to be true blow outs.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:45 AM   #10
Gone Traveling

Loss of pressure is usually accompanied by an increase in temperature so whichever TPMS you get be sure it shows psi & temp. I have the TST507 on all 10 tires & works great, they've been on since '13 & have only had to replace 5-6 batteries (which are user changeable).
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:07 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Quote:

Tim, we had our first blow out last year in the UP of Michigan. I have the TST TPMS system (507 I think) and love it. It checks both tire pressure and temp. I've had wheel bearings lock up in the past and there is no way to test for that pre-trip, so the temp monitor is an extra bonus!

The TPMS system worked beautifully in our experience. As soon as the pressure dropped, I got an audible warning. I was able to pull off the road immediately and prevent damage to the trailer from a tire that would likely have come apart if I had continued without knowing we had a failure.

The couple of hundred dollars for the system is well worth it in my opinion.

Now you have me wondering about what tires will be on our new SS26SI when we receive it next month ;(
https://www.treehousewellness.com/Pho...amper/F150.jpg
mikenannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 05:33 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Replaced our stock trailer tires with the Goodyear Endurance a little over a month ago and so far so good. Trailer feels like it pulls better with them on it but could just be my imagination. Our 240BH came with some cheap load range C tires on it and I was always afraid they would blow out on my some day so we made the switch to the load range D endurance. I run them at 60psi cold as the trailer is pretty lightweight at only 6500lbs fully loaded. Also use a tireminder tm55 TPMS that reads temps and PSI. First trip with the new tires was about 300 miles away and entire ride down temps and psi looked great. 5 days later we were pulling out of the campsite and the back passenger sensor went off that I only had 35 psi. Sure enough i had picked up a nail in my new tire and slowly leaked down over 5 days. Having the TPMS right there saved me from a possible blowout and/or having to change a tire in the side of the interstate. Got the system off Amazon for about $100 and it paid for itself already! I got certificates on the tires and the nail was just into the shoulder of the tire so when we got home discount tire gave me a brand new one

.... Everyday is a good day for Camping....
Poppabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:07 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

I just spent $400 on amazon for the TireMinder Smart TPMS. Easy to install, and works fantastic. Let me know what tires come with your new trailer. I'd be curious to see if they are still the Castle Rock. From this whole experience, if I ever purchase/order another trailer, I would demand before purchase the Good Year US made tires.

-Tim

Old 06-13-2017, 08:08 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

Will do. I wonder if CR has any control over the tires since they get the frame etc. from Lippert. I'm assuming Lippert puts the tires on?
https://www.treehousewellness.com/Pho...amper/F150.jpg
mikenannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:28 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

My china bomb went off headed home between el paso and van horn. Put on new carlile ST's when we got home from discount tire. I run the pressure that is recommended on the tire sidewall. 80 psi cold, for max load, but i'm not even close to max load. More pressure the better. Stiffer sidewalls and rolls easier, better mileage ? In therory. On my pu, I run 65 psi for a little softer ride when empty, but loaded, I also run max of 80 psi.
2011 27' RLX
gregtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:02 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

Quote:
I just spent $400 on amazon for the TireMinder Smart TPMS. Easy to install, and works fantastic. Let me know what tires come with your new trailer. I'd be curious to see if they are still the Castle Rock. From this whole experience, if I ever purchase/order another trailer, I would demand before purchase the Good Year US made tires.
Our 2017 289qb came with Castle Rock china bombs.
tott9713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:31 AM   #17
Family Vacation Member

Lion Head bombs were on my Cruiser when I got it. Had 2 blow on me on a long trip last year (NH to the Outer Banks). Changed to Good year Endurance this year. Also put on the tpms. I keep track of my gas mileage and found that mine went up .7 miles a gallon while towing on the same trip.