Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2020, 01:32 PM   #1
New Camper

Sway Problem / Need Help

Title says it all...
I am towing a 25' Sunset Trail with a F150 Ecoboost and am having a hard time with it if there is ANY wind at all.
For the most part it tows decent on a calm day but if there is any wind at all it feels very unstable in the back end and reduce speed considerably / "white knuckling" it.
I am using a Anderson hitch which I am debating on changing out with something that can transfer the weight better. I also added a Roadmaster suspension kit to the truck to help take some of the squat out.
I used this hitch on my last Sunset trailer which was slightly bigger (26') so figured it would be fine. (Although we never had it long so maybe just never noticed) Tow vehicle then was a 2015 F150 Ecoboost with Goodyear airbags.

Trailer
2019 Sunset 253RB
Dry Weight 5531#
Loaded 6700#

2019 F150 Ecoboost (w/levelling kit
275/65R18 'E' Rated Duratracs

Truck Only - 6063#
Front Axle 3395#
Rear Axle 2668#
GVWR 7850#
GAWR F-3750#
GAWR R-4800#

Truck & Trailer Combined
Front Axle 3110#
Rear Axle 3924#
Trailer Axles 5710#

I've tried loaded everything up heavier, lighter, transferring weight around, adding more tension and less tension to hitch chains, adjusted hitch from level to slightly nose down, ran tires from 40# to max.

Any ideas on what else I could do to make this setup work better? Is it just the hitch that isn't transferring enough weight and need to go back to a "Bar" style?
mikerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 02:01 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I’m not familiar with Andersen hitches so I googled them. You’re taking 285lbs off front axle and adding almost 1300lbs to rear axle when hitched. Seems like there’s not enough weight distribution there. I have a 13 Zinger ZT260BH. I pull it with a 13 Silverado CC 1500 4WD.
Front axle empty 3217, hitched 3234
Rear axle empty 2450, hitched 3388
Husky WD hitch 1200lb bars. Camper axles at 6400lbs.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 02:52 PM   #3
New Camper

I would be curious on what type of WDH everyone recommends for this setup as well. Tried coming up with a fix at the dealer but they just say what I have should be fine and weren't any help and said if they hooked it up on there truck it would pull fine...They recommended the Anderson too so....
Old 03-14-2020, 02:57 PM   #4
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 660catman View Post
I’m not familiar with Andersen hitches so I googled them. You’re taking 285lbs off front axle and adding almost 1300lbs to rear axle when hitched. Seems like there’s not enough weight distribution there. I have a 13 Zinger ZT260BH. I pull it with a 13 Silverado CC 1500 4WD.
Front axle empty 3217, hitched 3234
Rear axle empty 2450, hitched 3388
Husky WD hitch 1200lb bars. Camper axles at 6400lbs.
Yes, I definitely need to get more weight to the front. Just didn't think that would contribute to it swaying so much. Though that was just more so when it is too light on the hitch.
Old 03-14-2020, 02:58 PM   #5
Gone Traveling

Couple of things you didn't mention!
That 253 model number is just that, a number, yours will be 28'+ in length.
You didn't give the GVWR from the tag on the RV, dry weights mean ABSOLUTELY nothing. You listed a loaded weight, is that from scales or the brochure?
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 03:04 PM   #6
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Couple of things you didn't mention!
That 253 model number is just that, a number, yours will be 28'+ in length.
You didn't give the GVWR from the tag on the RV, dry weights mean ABSOLUTELY nothing. You listed a loaded weight, is that from scales or the brochure?
Yes, I realize the model is not the length. (It is 29'11")
I added the dry weight vs loaded weight (At the scale) to show how much weight I was carrying.
GVWR of the trailer is 7510#
Old 03-14-2020, 03:15 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Just an FYI, mine was scaled weight and my camper is also 29’ 11”.
Old 03-14-2020, 03:28 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

I thought that being too LIGHT on the tongue was a major cause of sway? and tire pressures also. ..... Don't take my word, though, I'm fairly new at this, just repeating what I have heard.
Old 03-14-2020, 03:40 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrizz View Post
I thought that being too LIGHT on the tongue was a major cause of sway? and tire pressures also. ..... Don't take my word, though, I'm fairly new at this, just repeating what I have heard.

Yes, too light is not good. You want 12-15% of trailer weight for tongue weight.
Old 03-14-2020, 03:48 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerat View Post
Yes, I definitely need to get more weight to the front. Just didn't think that would contribute to it swaying so much. Though that was just more so when it is too light on the hitch.

I believe you’re taking too much weight off front axle. Does your manual state how to get to 100% weight distribution? My GM manual does. I run Michelin LTX AT2’s E rated tires. Rear pressure at 65 and front pressure at 55 when towing. Both at 45 when not towing. How much does your truck squat when loaded and how much does it raise the front end of the truck?
Old 03-14-2020, 06:21 PM   #11
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 660catman View Post
I believe you’re taking too much weight off front axle. Does your manual state how to get to 100% weight distribution? My GM manual does. I run Michelin LTX AT2’s E rated tires. Rear pressure at 65 and front pressure at 55 when towing. Both at 45 when not towing. How much does your truck squat when loaded and how much does it raise the front end of the truck?
The manual tells you how to measure to make sure you have the weight distributed appropriately but I can't get the squat out my truck and level with my current setup. I wasn't thinking that was causing the sway as I have always error ed on the heavier side vs too light with any other setup I have had.
Maybe I was wrong?

I haven't hooked on yet this spring so I'd be guessing on drop but it was a fair bit. Thinking around 4" drop in the back, maybe 1" in front but again i'm guessing.
Old 03-14-2020, 07:00 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

So I watched an Andersen hitch install video. What I saw would work on a 2500 which already needs less WD. However I believe a 1500 needs more WD for it to work properly. I know myself with the husky, I couple camper to hitch and raise both units up to set bars. It makes it easier and there’s very little squat when lowering after bars are set. Dealer I bought from didn’t have WD hitch set correctly as I had that white knuckle ride on our first venture out. I went back to dealer and told him what I needed, he changed hitch angle, and it worked out better. With new LT rated tires and helper springs I have it perfect and I am comfortable with long hauls.
Last year I went from Southern Manitoba to Yellowstone/Jackson Hole and back without issue. It’s a 2400 mile round trip.
Personally I don’t like that Andersen setup for a 1500.
Old 03-22-2020, 03:12 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

I was having the same problem. I have a 2012 Ford F150, doesn't matter engine. First and foremost is yours. It comes from factory with P rated tires. Change them to LT tires, too much sidewall flex! I'm also running Firestone air bags in the rear which helped. The biggest problem was the P rated tires! Oh, btw, I'm pulling a 32ft. Rezerve which weighs 9k dry.
gblackburn120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 05:47 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Trailer Sway

This will not be a popular solution due to the cost but speaking from experience it works.

The ProPride hitch that I use or possible the Hensely hitch. They are related.

I tow a Sunset 2019 289QB with a 2012 Ford Expedition. Zero sway.

But the effect is when you are hit with a gust or a semi going by is that you feel like the Expedition is being pushed hard. You don't really move but it feels that way. Once you get used to it not a problem. The trailer does not sway at all.
Fastest I have driven is 70 mph in winds up to 20 mph.

Good luck
Old 03-22-2020, 06:49 PM   #15
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblackburn120 View Post
I was having the same problem. I have a 2012 Ford F150, doesn't matter engine. First and foremost is yours. It comes from factory with P rated tires. Change them to LT tires, too much sidewall flex! I'm also running Firestone air bags in the rear which helped. The biggest problem was the P rated tires! Oh, btw, I'm pulling a 32ft. Rezerve which weighs 9k dry.
I'm not so sure about the P rated tire thing. My last set was the goodyear duratracs, which I believe is a 4 ply. Just recently had them changed out mainly due to the road noise (and the fact that I got new rims, so I'll keep them for winter use) I went to Goodyear SRA's, which are P rated. I questioned the manufacturer after my tire shop recommended them knowing that I towed a Trailer. Goodyear says as long as I'm within the weight limits, All is good. (considering axle weight and tongue weight, I'm well within)
Mind you, I expected that answer from them, and hope for the best.
I have since only pulled the trailer once for about 10 miles highway, and 15 miles on some hilly, curvy roads, and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.
I did a few thousand miles last year on the duratracs, and had no issues at all.
I do use a distribution/sway hitch.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:13 PM   #16
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrizz View Post
I'm not so sure about the P rated tire thing. My last set was the goodyear duratracs, which I believe is a 4 ply. Just recently had them changed out mainly due to the road noise (and the fact that I got new rims, so I'll keep them for winter use) I went to Goodyear SRA's, which are P rated. I questioned the manufacturer after my tire shop recommended them knowing that I towed a Trailer. Goodyear says as long as I'm within the weight limits, All is good. (considering axle weight and tongue weight, I'm well within)
Mind you, I expected that answer from them, and hope for the best.
I have since only pulled the trailer once for about 10 miles highway, and 15 miles on some hilly, curvy roads, and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.
I did a few thousand miles last year on the duratracs, and had no issues at all.
I do use a distribution/sway hitch.

Changing to LT rated tires makes a HUGE difference. 65 lb LT tire pressure over an inflated P rated at 44 maximum doesn’t compare.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:14 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblackburn120 View Post
I agree with the LT tires. I switched last year and the improved stability is amazing. I also put Goodyear Endurance tires on the RV. The only regret is that I didn't make the change years ago. I no longer feel the 18 wheelers passing us.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote