Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2021, 11:21 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

tire choice for towing on tow vehicle

Hi all, I've got a question on tire choice for the tow vehicle. Truck is a 2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 TRD crew cab, rated for 10,000 lbs. ish. Trailer is a 2013 Sunset Reserve 29SS, dry weight 6400 lbs. There are two adults, two kids, plus gear etc. I know we'll be somewhat close to the limit but with some smart choices (plastic dishes? ) we can stay under the overall numbers.

Question is on tire choice for the truck. I have a set of Toyo Open Country H/T tires on factory wheels that came with the truck sitting in my garage. 275/65/18. From what I can see they are E rated 3400 lbs @ 80 psi. On the truck right now are a set of aftermarket wheels that look way better... AMP Gripper 305/60/18 E rated 3500 lbs @ 65 psi. Aftermarket wheels are Fuel Shok rated at 2500 lbs load, which were purchased to ensure they at least matched the truck tow rating. Truck is raised 3" in front, 1" in rear, with airbags in back. My gas mileage is about the same unloaded with the AMPs.

Question for you all. For towing this trailer, would you switch back to the Toyo's @ 80 psi, or do you think I'm ok sticking with the AMPs at 65 psi? Safety, comfort, and fuel mileage comments appreciated!

I'll be running either tire at full pressure of course. Also based on your experiences, what pressure would you run the bags at? For normal driving around I set them to 10-15 lbs... My father towed for years with his set at 40... But more opinions are always appreciated, at least for a starting point.

Thanks all.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:48 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

Tires load is stated per tire. As long as you do not exceed your truck's payload (stated on driver's door sticker) either one will work. Family, luggage and trailer tongue weight need to fit in the payload. The rest of the weight will stay on trailer tires. You can always check it by stopping at CAT scales.

Gas mileage with such trailer will suck anyways. Assuming it's 5.7l like mine expect something around 6.5-9mpg depending on the amount of hills and speed you go at. In the mountains it can go as low as 5, cruising 50 on flat you may be able to get to 10.5-ish.

I have no idea on bags - mine are self adjustable.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:53 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

I would put what ever pressure is needed to level the trailer. But keep in mind the bags do not increase the amount you can tow, they just help make your experience a little more enjoyable.

Screen Name = half Labrador, half Beagle and full of attitude.
Labbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 01:21 PM   #4
Site Team

My question is are the tires the factory size? A taller tire will hurt the final gear ratio. If they are the same height then run the heavier rated tire.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 01:29 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

@labbie that was beat into my head - bags are for comfort / ease of towing, and to help reduce squat, not for bump capacity. Thank you for the reminder!

@dagst1 tires are same diameter as factory size (within 1%). They were carefully chosen to be "the same" to maintain handling and not to affect gear ratio or the speedometer. So 275/65/18 is ~1% smaller than 305/60/18.

@ugauga thank you. I figured it would suck. I generally have a light foot and .... although I care we wouldn't have bought a trailer if I cared that much about mileage. I just won't let my wife drive - she treats the pedal like an on off switch.