Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Will a dodge 2500 with the cummins engine be Okay to pull a Rushmore model Washington? I haven't signed on the Rushmore yet can anyone help?
Thanks
vanhatfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Need more information - what year is the truck, 4x4 or 4x2, quad cab or mega cab, etc. To understand the trucks capacity we need the actual setup.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:06 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Mike,
I see you are looking for a travel trailer. I am looking for a fifth wheel. I have a 2012 Cruiser 28RKX, bought in April of 2012. I have the 2+5 Warranty and have scheduled with Andi Miles to take it back to CR to have the annual inspection done and have them repack the bearings and check the brakes etc. I have less than 2,000 miles on my unit and have never had any problems with it. I have boondocked with it many times and used it in full-hookup situations. Everything works as advertised. Not sure what you are looking for but I would rather sell mine than trade it in as they don't give you squat. If you're interested let me know maybe we can work a deal.

Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:57 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

It's a dodge 2500 4x4 crew cab 2013 model.
Thanks
Old 01-28-2013, 03:29 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Looks like the only problem would be hitch weight. You are over on every configuration of 4x4 or 4x2 with the Cummins and Auto transmission.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:39 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

At our local RV show a few weeks back, there was a guy that was talking to a salesman, and he asked the same question. Said he had a Ram 2500 ext cab long box and asked if he could pull the Lincoln that we were in. The salesman said, "Personally sir, I would not hook this size of a unit up to anythign but a 1-ton dually."

I haven't checked the weights or anything on either truck, but just telling you what I overheard a salesman say.Edited by: JeremyN
JeremyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I got this off of Pickuptrucks.com, hope this helps. Looks like a dually would be your best option.

http://blogs.cars.com/files/2013-ram...500-charts.pdf

Edited by: longhauler

Chris & Karen- Heyworth, Illinois
2009 CF32BL pulled by a 2011 RAM 2500 CTD 4x4
PullRite Superglide 18K hitch
2015stats:
Nights: 28
Miles: 3245
longhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:24 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Hitch weight of 2700 lbs - as others have said you exceed the GVWR of the truck. Pin weight with the trailer loaded will probably be closer to 2900 lbs.

Truck weight will go up a couple of hundred lbs. setting it up to tow. Then add fuel, passengers and anything else in the truck will add more to the payload

I would say a dual wheel unit is needed. Even with a 3500HD SRW with a GVWR of 11,600 lbs or so you'll exceed the GVWR of the truck.
Edited by: NorskeNY

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyN
At our local RV show a few weeks back, there was a guy that was talking to a salesman, and he asked the same question. Said he had a Ram 2500 ext cab long box and asked if he could pull the Lincoln that we were in. The salesman said, "Personally sir, I would not hook this size of a unit up to anythign but a 1-ton dually."

I haven't checked the weights or anything on either truck, but just telling you what I overheard a salesman say.

There is a rare event. Most salesmen will let you drag it out with a Kia if it means they get the sale.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

That is too much trailer for the truck. If you already own the truck, go load it up with all passengers,pets, gear and a full tank of fuel. Take it loaded to a local truck scale (www.catscale.com) and weigh it. Make sure you weigh each axle on a separate pad. This will give you individual axle weights and a total weight of your truck. Next look at your door sticker to find out your max rawr and your vehicle gvwr. Look in manual for your gcwr. Subtract scaled rear axle weight from max rawr to see how much room you have for hitch plus pin weight. Subtract total scaled vehicle weight from gvwr to find out your available payload. Subtract the total scaled vehicle weight from gcwr to get your adjusted towing capacity. Your 5er should fall within all of these ratings. If you haven't bought the truck yet and really want this 5er then buy a diesel dually for it.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbldavis
Quote:

I haven't checked the weights or anything on either truck, but just telling you what I overheard a salesman say.

There is a rare event. Most salesmen will let you drag it out with a Kia if it means they get the sale.

Why do you think it sticks with me so much? I was waiting in line behind the guy to ask the salesman a question. When I heard the guy ask if he could pull it with his Ram, I thought for sure the salesman was going to say, "Absolutely you can pull it. That diesel will do fine." Instead, I heard a salesman give an honest answer to a guy. When I got to talk to the salesman, I actually told him that I respected his honesty to that question. That is how all sales guys should be.
JeremyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the charts long hauler .Looks like the one I am looking at will pull a trailer weight of 17,210. I call the dealer I'm working with and was told you could add 400 lbs to the chart weight. Thanks for all the input.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:19 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Pulling it and supporting the hitch weight are 2 different things. Look at the payload vs pin weight of trailer.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:55 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbldavis
Quote:

X2..........never agreed more

I tow a 35CK Rushmore 2012 and have a friend that tows another model Rushmore of the same year. We have discussed this and both agree we wouldn't want to tow these beasts with anything other than our 3500 Silverado's which are both both diesel dually.
Walkingstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:36 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

To answer my own question I call Dodge. The 2013 2500 will tow 18,000 lbs in the diesel and has the transmission to boot. Thanks for all the input.