Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2014, 06:48 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Tow Vehicle got rear-ended!

Need advice,

I was sitting in traffic and got rear ended by a car going about 50 MPH. My trusted shop said everything is ok with the frame, bed is find, just bumper, tailgate, and sheet metal. Got hit pretty good. Short bed, is not a bit shorter!

Anyone have thoughts/opinions about keeping/ditching the vehicle for towing. We're hooked on the longer trips out west (in OH).

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:59 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

If it has been checked over properly there should be no issues with keeping the truck. The first thing they would have checked for is frame damage but the F150 has a solid frame so a direct rear end impact is the best place to get hit. Make sure you get your hitch checked to make sure it isn't misaligned from the impact.

If that's all the damage I'm guessing the vehicle wasn't going 50 mph or both vehicles would have been shorter by at least a foot - trust me on this one - I know from experience what happens when metal meets metal at that speed as I was the one rear ended when I was at a dead stop and it totalled both vehicles.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:20 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

First off I hope you're ok, lots of symptoms from accidents can turn up a few days later so take it easy and don't ignore pain or anything out of the norm. If your truck is at a good shop that your happy with you should be fine. You can always request it goes to your trusted dealer for a full inspection before returning to the road.

I refused to pick up my 300c SRT for nearly a month after I was tagged in the rear because I wanted it sent to the dealer to be inspected. They finally did what I asked and found the fuel tank had moved pinching a fuel line. Simple fix but it gave me the piece of mind that everything was back to the way it was before.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:06 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopers_dad View Post
First off I hope you're ok, lots of symptoms from accidents can turn up a few days later so take it easy and don't ignore pain or anything out of the norm.
Glad your ok. The above is good advice.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:52 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

If not too much damage, your hitch probably helped to absorb some of the impact. I would have them check the rear end alignment, the 7 pin wiring harness, replace the bolts on the hitch unless welded, inspect spare tire and assembly, and test drive with your trailer before signing the release.

Always harder to get things fixed once they get your release.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote