Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2020, 02:44 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Tow vehicle seats uncomfortable- suggestions?

We purchased a second hand f250 as our tow vehicle and now that we are spending hours in the captain's chairs, our backs are getting unhappy pretty quickly. Any ideas for after-market support to make these chairs more comfortable for the drive for my husband and myself. We are looking for cushion comfort and lumbar support. Ladies, are there any upholstry fixes you favor since so many of these cushions are built with a guy's physique in mind? Please let us know, since we are getting ready for our first long-distance trip and will be spending a lot of time in the driver's seat. Thanks in advance for your help.
Pearl
Old 09-10-2020, 07:44 PM   #2
Site Team

Here's a suggestion https://www.amazon.com/Qutool-Cushio..._t2_B01IJNJAZ0

or https://www.amazon.com/Dreamer-Car-D.../dp/B01H5D3LAA

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:47 PM   #3
Gone Traveling

Drove Ford pickups for 30+ years at work & the best upgrade for their uncomfortable seats was to buy a GM truck.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 06:32 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Drove Ford pickups for 30+ years at work & the best upgrade for their uncomfortable seats was to buy a GM truck.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:24 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:13 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Danny
I own a F350 DW and before I read the first post I knew it was a ford...Before I bought this truck I owned a 2500 GMC and those seats were much more comfortable...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:38 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlbalt View Post
We purchased a second hand f250 as our tow vehicle and now that we are spending hours in the captain's chairs, our backs are getting unhappy pretty quickly. Any ideas for after-market support to make these chairs more comfortable for the drive for my husband and myself. We are looking for cushion comfort and lumbar support. Ladies, are there any upholstry fixes you favor since so many of these cushions are built with a guy's physique in mind? Please let us know, since we are getting ready for our first long-distance trip and will be spending a lot of time in the driver's seat. Thanks in advance for your help.
Pearl

Here is a link for you to check put. Might help, might not.
https://www.amazon.com/FH-Group-Neos..._t3_B07SYDPVMQ
I can understand, if you purchased a used truck, the seats could be broken down some what by a different shaped butt.
I see some of the posts are giving you a little chaff to separate from the oats.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 02:13 PM   #8
Site Team

Tommy, you might be experiencing the bounce from the dual wheels in the back.

Won't ride as good as a non dually.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Old 09-12-2020, 03:42 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Pearl, yea it’s easy to give each other a hard time. (Chevrolet and Ford owners). Seriously though I hope you find something that helps. Nothing makes a trip longer than uncomfortable seats. If you go on eBay and type in “ford seat cushion pad“, you’ll find some that might help. Good luck.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 04:52 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

I'm not to sure any truck rides like a chesterfield and all have a horse and saddle feel after a few hours. Even without the trailer attached after 2 hours in the silverado the rump starts to complain, but by then were in the city and can stretch the legs and do our business. But those 2 remaining hours return trip really start to flare up for that last hour, and no getting away from it. all trucks are built pretty darn nice today, but there still trucks, and none will share the same ride as a upper end sedan... But that truck will go places, where that sedan stays at the asphalt...
Old 09-12-2020, 10:40 PM   #11
Site Team

Last year I pulled my camper from Richmond to Boston, 665 miles, with my Silverado stopping once for fuel, twice for potty breaks and once for lunch. It took 13.5 hours (11.25 hours moving). Neither my legs nor my butt bothered me at the end of the trip.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 02:32 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Tommy, you might be experiencing the bounce from the dual wheels in the back.

Won't ride as good as a non dually.
Mark
Not the stiff ride...Its the shape of the seats and the fact that the foam material the seats are made from seem to be much harder than the GMC seats...Plus the leather in the Ford vs the cloth in the GMC...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:27 AM   #13
Site Team

Yea, I see your point Tommy. The seats in my F150 are very comfortable though. I believe our body makeup also determines the comfort, plus getting older doesn't help.

Old 09-17-2020, 05:18 PM   #14
New Camper

Differences

See I am opposite GM and Ram seats to me are very uncomfortable to the point I am in pain after a few hours. Ford on the other hand has most comfortable seats to me.
Rstrainii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:57 PM   #15
Family Vacation Member

God where were all you friends when I was having the same issue. LOL
WE blew 3 out of 4 original tires, replaced with original size and rating tires, (didnt know better) blew 2 of those plus spare, founds axels were bent, no warranty, upgraded to Dexter axels (going as large #3500 ones) without having to change hangers springs brakes etc, wore out 2 more tires, finally a tire guy said put on Goodyear Endurance with a F rating (the installer guy at the tire shop did tell me G rating would have been better but since I had already bought the F, I would be ok.
All the problems seem to have gone away.
Not one: lick, sniff, offer of ANY help from the dealer or Lippert (original axel manu.)

2012 Sunset Trail by Crossroads
29BH
2016 F150 Lariat
egrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:07 PM   #16
Family Vacation Member

I've owned Chevrolets for years and had my HD2500 for almost 20 and they were as comfortable for day long driving on the last day I owned it as the first day. Great seats! Every Chevy I have owned have had great seats and am hoping the new 2020 I have on order are as good.

If it were me I'd be looking at after market or go to a junkyard for bucket seats from a recent model Chevrolet!
2020 Silverado HD3500 Duramax
TexSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:07 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

Send a message via MSN to KECoats
Seats

Could also look in a Pilot/FlyingJ or other truck stop to see what they offer for seat cushions.
KECoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:07 PM   #18
Weekend Camper

Aftermarket back rests and cushions

There are a lot of aftermarket back rests and cushion add-ons out there. I'm trying to find some brands that actually will take some of the pain out of sitting in those seats long-term since reupholstering the cushions is not in the budget. Next truck though, I'm going to go to the dealers and see if I can sit in the seat for an hour or three.