Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2016, 08:39 PM   #1
New Camper

Towing 251TD with half ton

Hello,

Brand new to pulling an RV. I just bought a used 2014 251TD and have a 2015 Silverado 5.3 with two package. I towed it a few miles with WD hitch and truck had no problem. Question is what can I expect towing up hill in the SoCal hills. First trip is Memorial day weekend. Thanks in advance
GBobzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:38 PM   #2
Site Team

What exactly, is a 251TD?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 03:13 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBobzin View Post
Hello,

Brand new to pulling an RV. I just bought a used 2014 251TD and have a 2015 Silverado 5.3 with two package. I towed it a few miles with WD hitch and truck had no problem. Question is what can I expect towing up hill in the SoCal hills. First trip is Memorial day weekend. Thanks in advance
There is a lot of missing information in order to give you a good answer. I think the 251TD is an open front toy hauler, so are you putting a quad or anything on the platform? What is the total weight of the trailer with your toy? Is the silverado a crew cab, extended cab or regular cab? is it two or four wheel drive? My guess is you will be fine, but without knowing the items listed it is hard to say for sure.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:52 PM   #4
New Camper

Good questions. I have a 2015 Silverado 1500 Dual Cab standard box 5.3L with 3.42 gears. Owners manual says max GVWR is 7000lbs and towing capacity is 9400 lbs. The trailer is a 2014 Z-1 251TD toy hauler and I have a WD hitch. First trip will be w/o front platform loaded. Advertised gross weight of dry TT is 5620 lbs. With it just being my wife and I, expect TT to be less than 7K lbs loaded. When the time comes to load the Honda side by side it will add 1100 lbs to front end. Can I expect to safely tow w/o side by side and with side by side? SoCal has many inclines. Oh and truck is 2WD. Thanks again.
GBobzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:25 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Without the side by side you won't have any issues at all. I would definitely suggest weighing the fully loaded trailer with the side by side on it at a truck stop weigh station to get all of your weights. Adding 1100 pounds to the front of the trailer is going to significantly increase the tongue weight. My guess is you are going to have to adjust the angle on the WD hitch in order to maintain a level ride height once you load the side by side.

Power wise, I don't think you will have too many issues climbing the hills. You won't set any speed records doing it, but I think you will be fine.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:10 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Welcome to the forum.

As stated you might want to get all weights, not advertised weights. You need to find your tongue weight with batteries/propane bottles, which is not listed as advertised. I run a 218TD and the TW was 760lbs. Your 1100 lbs or whatever for the SXS will be distributed a bit but still you are looking very tongue heavy. Will your payload fit the bill and do you have a big enough WD hitch? What does your receiver state you can carry on it?

http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...info-9447.html
2019 Grand Design Imagine 2800bh
morphrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:41 PM   #7
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphrider View Post
Welcome to the forum.

As stated you might want to get all weights, not advertised weights. You need to find your tongue weight with batteries/propane bottles, which is not listed as advertised. I run a 218TD and the TW was 760lbs. Your 1100 lbs or whatever for the SXS will be distributed a bit but still you are looking very tongue heavy. Will your payload fit the bill and do you have a big enough WD hitch? What does your receiver state you can carry on it?

http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...info-9447.html
The SXS should fit just fine on the fwd platform and according to Chevy's trailering guide, my particular truck's tongue weight should be 10% to 15% of total loaded trailer weight up to 1,200 lbs and GCWR should not exceed 15,000 lbs. I'll get it all weighed at some point, but I'm thinking I should be okay. Also says it should not exceed RGAWR, but not sure where to find that info. Tires are rated for 2,400 lbs. The WD hitch came with the trailer. Thanks again.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:46 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Your tongue weight could get crazy hi with the front rack loaded. You will need to carefully manage the weight depending on what you load. I agree, empty should be no problem, but adding that much weight in that location will basically completely change the entire setup needed.

Once you get it figured out you will know what you need, but watch your payload and rear axel weights. I would plan on spending some significant time at a cat scale and I would buy a tongue scale for future monitoring of the weight.
Old 04-26-2021, 06:42 PM   #9
New Camper

Are you looking to sell your unit yet?? I am in the market for the unit you have!
Jerrica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 06:48 PM   #10
Site Team

This thread is 5 years old. I doubt he still has it.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote