Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2011, 09:47 AM   #1
HP
New Camper

What has anyone found to be the bestway to tow a 32ft. travel trailer that has a dry weight of 6,000 pounds? Type of vehicle? Type of hitch?

Thanks...
Old 01-24-2011, 10:34 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Get the most truck you can aford IMO.
gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

welcome to the forum. you should forget the 6000lbs. dry weight...its going to be closer to 8000lbs. loaded. that being said i tow my 32 ft. quad bunk trailer w/ my f350 v10 w/ a reese dual cam hitch. the hitch is easy to use and middle of the road cost wise. i could tow with less of a truck (& i have-2003 chevy suburban 1500 series)because its mostly flat where i live. i'm not sure where you live but i would take that into consideration. good luck.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:25 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

After towing home my new TT the other day, I 2nd the reese dual cam hitch that everyone encouraged me to upgrade to. I hear the equalizer is good too. As for TV, if you know how big of a trailer you want to haul, make sure that you get something that can tow more than the GVW and tongue weight then you want. We were limited in choices of what we wanted w/ having a 9100 tow capacity and a 910 tongue weight limit (figure your tongue weight capacity to be about 10% of what you can potentially tow). I also saw a lot of people mention you should not tow the max your vehicle is rated for.
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:37 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

;od advice all.

Two schools of thought regarding the tow vehicle. One is to get just enough truck to do the job, like an F150 or K1500. The other is to get as much truck as you can afford. Like GTO Guy, I"m in the latter camp. I never felt I had too much truck and it was nice to not even notice the trailer behind me in the steep grades out in West Virginia or the high crosswinds I encountered in Indiana.

Two excellent hitch choices. The Reese Dual Cam or the Equal-izer. I chose the Equal-izer as I find it easier to set up than the reese, but both have great reviews and work well. For the rich among us the Hensley Arrow has a loyal following as well.

Hope that helps.

Edited by: papa2

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:28 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

We have about the same size and weight of trailer andI like the 3/4 ton for the bigger brakes andheavy dutytransmission. In my opinion the transmission is the weakest link in the drive train. Before we got the 3/4 ton we towed with 1/2 ton and it is night and day. We also have a Hensley hitch and it is great, but it is pricey. I got it when we had a shorter trailer that was light on the tounge and that was the only way I could keep it on the road.

2009 CT31RL

2016 Chevrolet 2500HD High Country

Hensley Hitch
ajlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:24 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Are you looking for new vehicles or used ? Diesel or gas ?

My advice is do some internet searches and snoop out the forums on trucks and do some reading. That way you will be forewarned on some of the problems that are being encountered and start to be informed about the capabilities of the different models. There are user forums devoted to the different brands of trucks and rv forums like this one and RV.net that are great sources of information.

Like with new trucks, the 2011 GM/Chevy diesels that are being advertised so much on TV has a problem with the DEF fluid (urea injected into the exhaust to control NOX). Up north where it is cold, the DEF is freezing and people can't use their trucks and it is a huge issue. Not a problem in Tx, butit is a problem.

With used trucks, be aware that the 2001 through Feb 2004 (March 2004 brought out a new model) GM/Chevy diesel trucks had injector problems and people are dumping them off. To get a set of injectors installed on these trucks is 4000 to 6000 ata dealership. Model years 04.5 through 05 GM/Chevy diesel trucks overheat. We have an overheater and until last year never went into the mountains. Our lifestyle has now changed and we are now faced with adding an auxilliary radiator to fix the issue as it is cheaper to fix than buy a new truck.

The point I am trying to make is do your homework before you purchase any brand. Trucks nowadays are complicated and expensive due to EPA regulations regardless of diesel or gas, etc. And all have their good points and bad points.

Be honest as to what your intentions are. If you simply want to go camping within a 100 mile radius of home, then you don't need as much truck. But if you are going out on the highway, into mountains etc etc, then your needs will change. With gas -vs- diesel, there are maintence costs associated with a owning a diesel, that you simply don't have with a gas engine, but you don't get the mileage or pulling power either.

Also you didn't say bumper pull -vs- 5th wheel travel trailer.

With a 32 ft bumper pull, the longer the wheel base on the tow vehicle, the easier it will be to pull. Semis passing you will have less of an effect. The pivot point is the hitch on a bumper pull and when a semi, which is pushing a BIG cushion of air, passes you, it tends to push the front of the trailer away. So when the front of the trailer is pushed away, then the front of the truck pulls towards the semi passing you. A longer wheelbase truck helps counter this.

If a 5th wheel, then you have axle ratings and such to take into account.

There is a lot of research to do and there is lots of information on the internet available that a week or so spent with Mr. Google will be well paid back.

The absolutely worst thing that you can possibly do is not buy enough truck. People get killed (or kill someone else) by trying to pull with not enough truck. There was an accident local to us where a family lost their lives due to not enough truck. They were passed by a semi which started the trailer wagging the tow vehicle and they simply couldn't control it once it started swaying and they ended up rolling it.

Just my opinion,

Edited by: drcook

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote