Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2014, 08:39 PM   #1
New Camper

Towing a 5er to go full time.

In the past I have had a truck with a MT (manual trans). I feel it is the
best way to tow. I think towing with a MT makes more sense. You might
burn out a clutch, but not the whole trans. At which point, at least in the
past, you could get a heavy duty clutch installed. If you burn up a AT
(auto trans), the cost to replace maybe as much as $3K.

Further, a rebuilt AT does not last as long as the original. No matter what
the brand happens to be. So, you will have to replace it again in 30-40K miles. In the past, I felt a diesel pickup and a 5er would be a great way to go. That would even give me enough room to full time. Unfortunately, new emissions have forced diesel prices much higher.

I bet they will need expensive repairs down the road. One iconic name in
diesel engines was forced out of the on-road business, due to emissions. That was Caterpillar Tractor. Now consumers have less choice and less competition in the marketplace.

So, what truck/5er combo would work well for me? I need to use the truck
for everyday driving as well. Those 3/4 ton gas trucks burn a lot of gas.
So, I'm wondering if this is feasible, considering all the costs. Anyway, I'm open to suggestions, as to what truck and a 27 foot 5er would work.
Dog Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:56 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Whatever you get, go with a 1 ton SRW truck as the 3/4 tons tend to be limited by their payload. The newer diesels are getting better fuel mileage but do come with a higher price tag and a higher maintenance cost. To me, the comfort of towing was worth it. Yes I do drive mine daily and I love it. If I were to go with a gas 1 ton it would be the ram with the 6.4 hemi.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:22 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

I don't know where the logic of an auto transmission will burn up in such a short time came from. Then after getting rebuilt it won't last as long as the first time?
Speaking about the GM transmissions here because that is what I have programming or tuning software for. GM pulls power during the shift these days to increase transmission life. My truck has 200,000 miles on it still going strong. Plus if I get the transmission rebuilt the tranny shop here can make them hold up to more abuse then originally intended.
2006 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L ext. Cab 8' bed.
jakesz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:59 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

If you want a NEW truck with a MANUAL transmission, you have ONE option:

Dodge Diesel.

I would LOVE a manual, but will have to be complacent with an automatic unless I buy a Dodge Diesel (which is likely out of my budget).

With a 27ft 5th wheel, most any 3/4 ton gas should handle it well while being somewhat economical as a daily driver.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:28 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I decided when I first tried a manual tranny on our jeeps while offroading that I would NEVER go back to a manual...

the new generation manu-auto tranny gives much BETTER control than the manuals did and last just as long or longer...
(let's say this, they last as long as I want to OWN an old truck )

decide on your 5er before you get the truck so you know your exact needs...
and be sure to note that some new rv's have no warranty if lived in full time...
Old 07-03-2014, 04:06 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

You really did not ask the right question. You should have asked "What power do I need to pull a XXXX pound trailer safely with?". There are plenty of options, both in gas and diesel. I am a firm believer that the diesel engine is ALWAYS the right choice for towing anything over 5000 lbs - many guys on here will disagree. I back my claim up with industry - when was the last time you saw a locomotive running on gas - in the heavy hauling industry diesel is king!!! However, what other uses will you use the truck for? Daily commuting with a diesel (truck) is hard on the engine - they like to work. Ram/Cummins is a great choice, but so is the Duramax/Allison pairing. I am not anti-Ford - I am just a little leery of their inability to really nail down a rock-solid Powerstroke - but I do like the trucks. Yer money yer choice. Check out Diesel Place and other sites for inside tips and common complaints. Sorry for the diatribe...Happy Camping and shopping... (go diesel!)

Roselyn and Darrell
2007.5 Silverado LT/EFI Live Tuned Duramax/6Spd Allison/Banks Ram Air with Super Scoop/Edge CTS Gauges/Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate Air Springs
2014 335ss Cruiser Provincial
Retired Navy
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:32 PM   #7
Site Team

I'm biased in favor of diesels now that I own one. A 3/4 ton will handle a small 5er just fine. My Silverado pulls my 29' 5er just fine. I don't drive my truck to work everyday, but I do occasionally. I have a 27 mile commute to my office, so most days I drive my Impala because that's a 1 gallon trip for it.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:28 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

As long as I am pulling a camper, I will own a diesel. I've gone both ways, and it is just much more comfortable towing.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:07 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

I would encourage you to look for an early 2000's Dodge Ram 3/4 or one ton with the 5.9 Cummins power plant.

I really enjoyed our 2003 3/4 with a 6 speed manual transmission. I was able to maintain 12-13 mpg towing our 34' fifth wheel; but was impressed with the 22-25 mpg running empty. Our truck was a rear wheel drive crew cab with a long box. I have to admit that I would take the 2003 over our 2007 1 ton 4X4 crew cab short box with the 6.7 Cummins any day.

Save yourself some money.....Buy used.....Buy Cummins.....Bigger is not always better.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:48 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

If you are going to buy used look at a 2003 or earlier F250. The 7.3L TC powerstroke is a rock solid power plant. Look it up, one of the ten best diesel engines ever produced WORLD WIDE. It's pre-emission crap so it gets good fuel mileage, 20 MPG un-loaded, 12/14 MPG towing my 12,000 LB 5'r. Designed to run 360K before first rebuild, many are going well beyond that mark. And as stated previously if you want you can get an AT rebuilt to last forever--it may cost you 5K but guaranteed for 500K, or some such nonsense.

Flyone
Old 07-06-2014, 08:48 AM   #11
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesz28 View Post
I don't know where the logic of an auto transmission will burn up in such a short time came from. Then after getting rebuilt it won't last as long as the first time?
Speaking about the GM transmissions here because that is what I have programming or tuning software for. GM pulls power during the shift these days to increase transmission life.
I never said an AT would burn up in a short time. But, ATs do go out. Ford had problems w/ATs, put in cutaway vans. People would put a rebuilt in and have it go out again, 30K miles later. I understand that Allison transmissions are a great product, in GM trucks. A specialized trans shop, maybe able to rebuild a trans better than new. But, most replacement is done with rebuilt ATs from a factory (where the core needs to be sent back).

Rebuilds that are bought as replacements, where a core needs to be sent back. In my experience are not near as good as Original. Same thing goes for starters & alternators. I just think MTs are an option consumers should have.
If there was more competition in the light truck business, they would.
Dog Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:59 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

I guess that makes since. I have rebuilt a few trannys that hold up to 900 hp on the drag strip. I would not touch the transmission in my truck but if anyone around the Quad Cities/Davenport area needs a transmission to hold up to severe towing there is a place in Mount Joy that can make it last longer then the rest of the truck. Some hard parts need replaced to make an overdrive transmission last. But when built right you only build them once. His prices are close to the cost of a factory rebuilt exchange tranny would cost.
I have heard of people that had problems on the road but I have been fortunate so far.
2006 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L ext. Cab 8' bed.
jakesz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:51 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Father View Post
In the past I have had a truck with a MT (manual trans). I feel it is the
best way to tow. I think towing with a MT makes more sense. You might
burn out a clutch, but not the whole trans. At which point, at least in the
past, you could get a heavy duty clutch installed. If you burn up a AT
(auto trans), the cost to replace maybe as much as $3K.

Further, a rebuilt AT does not last as long as the original. No matter what
the brand happens to be. So, you will have to replace it again in 30-40K miles. In the past, I felt a diesel pickup and a 5er would be a great way to go. That would even give me enough room to full time. Unfortunately, new emissions have forced diesel prices much higher.

I bet they will need expensive repairs down the road. One iconic name in
diesel engines was forced out of the on-road business, due to emissions. That was Caterpillar Tractor. Now consumers have less choice and less competition in the marketplace.

So, what truck/5er combo would work well for me? I need to use the truck
for everyday driving as well. Those 3/4 ton gas trucks burn a lot of gas.
So, I'm wondering if this is feasible, considering all the costs. Anyway, I'm open to suggestions, as to what truck and a 27 foot 5er would work.
Cummings all the way!
Old 07-14-2014, 09:59 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Just as a side note Ford has dropped the manual tranny from their lineup. sales were less than 5%.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote