Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2017, 11:09 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Towing speeds on interstate

What do most of you recommend for towing speed. I have aZ-1 231 pulling with F150 4x4 5.4 triton.
Danny Pyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:26 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

It all depends on what YOU feel comfortable with, most of the people we know and travel with would say 60 - 65 is a comfortable speed for them. Personally I never pull over 65 mph even though our truck can pull faster. I can get the best mileage at 55 - 60 mph. I've had people pulling trailers pass me doing over 70. The one thing you have to remember is even though you can pull something that fast you still have to get it stopped. Stopping at higher speeds is going to take longer and making sudden moves at those speeds can also be very dangerous.

Phil & Janine
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Short Bed 2500HD Cummins
2014 Cruiser 333RL
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:28 AM   #3
Site Team

Some will say----the speed limit!
Me, I'm never in that much of a hurry any more. I usually set the cruise about 60. Being on any multi lane road, whether it's a freeway or not, I don't have any worry about impeding traffic. They're welcome to pass.
I think the first thing you should do is look at the sidewall of your trailer tires. Check and see what's printed on them for max speed. That might be your governing factor right there.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:34 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

My state (CA) limits trucks and autos with trailers to 55 MPH. That's pretty slow, but it's plenty safe too. I set my cruise control to 59 and let everyone blow past me.
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:46 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the input, I never thought to look at the sidewall for speed recommendation.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:23 PM   #6
Site Team

Most, but not all, ST tires are rated for 65 mph.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:53 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Absolutely check the speed rating on your tires! That is the max speed those tires are rated at for towing at the max psi cold level printed on the side of the tires and the tires are in good condition. As time goes on and the tread starts to wear, that max speed should be reduced.

Our home base -- 2018 Grand Design Solitude 375RES -- The "Uno Mas!"
The mobile office -- 2016 Crossroads Hill Country HCT26RB -- The "Poquito Mas!"
Gone but not forgotten: 2015 Heartland Landmark 365 Key West (lost to Hurricane Harvey)
TxCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:10 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

What ^^^ Tx said !

65 mph for ST tires in perfect condition under perfect conditions... right psi,. right weight they are carrying, etc...

But in the middle of a 105 degree August day and overloaded ST tires and I wonder if there is a 'safe' speed

Goodyear bought me a new tire and repaired my previous redwood 5er when one let go !
Old 01-18-2017, 10:09 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Ditto on the 60-65 MPH. I've seen a few vidoes of someone towing/swaying/flipping, and to me it seems a swerve while going way to fast is what sets the motion.

You can't swerve with these things, so a bit slower to help with reaction is definitely a plus.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:07 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Donjamin
Quote:
My state (CA) limits trucks and autos with trailers to 55 MPH. That's pretty slow, but it's plenty safe too. I set my cruise control to 59 and let everyone blow past me.
I drive in California and the towing speed limit is 55 mph. I usually set my cruise control at 58-59 mph and enjoy the scenery was we slowly move about the state. I've been tailed a few times by the CHP and was only pulled over once for staying to long in the number 2 lane of a 3 lane highway north bound Hwy 99 south of Bakersfield). He didn't cite me for speeding but told me I should stay in the number 3 lane (truck lane) while towing a 5th wheel. I'm sorry, but the number 3 or 4 lane on most CA interstates are torn up by semi rigs. Either of these two lanes will literally shake your trailer apart due to the rough road.
2013 Sunset Trail 32RL 5th Wheel (no longer own)
Donjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:39 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

I try to stay around 65 on interstate also. And 50-55 on secondary roads.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 05:30 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

I'd have to say 65-68 is were I try to stay on the highway with my setup and seem to average about 11.5-12 MPG. Plenty of power to go more but I like to be safe.

Steve
Old 01-18-2017, 05:36 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

Thanks everyone for the info
Old 01-18-2017, 05:57 PM   #14
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donjamin View Post
I drive in California and the towing speed limit is 55 mph. I usually set my cruise control at 58-59 mph and enjoy the scenery was we slowly move about the state. I've been tailed a few times by the CHP and was only pulled over once for staying to long in the number 2 lane of a 3 lane highway north bound Hwy 99 south of Bakersfield). He didn't cite me for speeding but told me I should stay in the number 3 lane (truck lane) while towing a 5th wheel. I'm sorry, but the number 3 or 4 lane on most CA interstates are torn up by semi rigs. Either of these two lanes will literally shake your trailer apart due to the rough road.
Arguing with a CHP is never a good idea, but I'm pretty sure he was mistaken. Trailers are restricted to the two right lanes. On the 99 where there are three lanes, you can tow in the #2 and #3 lanes. Depending on the location (like proximity to cities with with lots of vehicles merging on and off), the #2 lane can sometimes be safer than #3.

Having said that though, I know that the CHP really likes to see us in the far right lane and I like to keep them happy whenever possible.
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:50 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

Dave, your close...anyone limited to 55 mph in Cal, such as semi trucks, vehicles pulling trailers etc, have to use the far right lane unless passing. If there are at least four lanes in each direction, then the "two" left lanes can be used.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:43 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

I was pulling up the grapevine heading north. Was running 68mph in the #2 lane of four passing the semi's and a CHP pulled up beside me and in not so nice words told me to get the hell over on his bull horn
Old 01-19-2017, 09:52 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodwalker View Post
I was pulling up the grapevine heading north. Was running 68mph in the #2 lane of four passing the semi's and a CHP pulled up beside me and in not so nice words told me to get the hell over on his bull horn
I suspect that was precipitated because of the speed more than the lane position.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:35 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
Dave, your close...anyone limited to 55 mph in Cal, such as semi trucks, vehicles pulling trailers etc, have to use the far right lane unless passing. If there are at least four lanes in each direction, then the "two" left lanes can be used.
Steve,
Absolutely correct on the right two lanes. Never heard of the four lane rule you list above?
The attached isn't the DMV booklet but an accurate overview and I don't see anything about the 4 lane issue.
Can you elaborate?

Here are the California Towing Laws You Need To Know Before You Tow

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:04 AM   #19
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Donjamin
Quote:
a CHP pulled up beside me and in not so nice words told me to get the hell over on his bull horn
Same thing happened to us on our drive north through Bakersfield. The CHP officer got on his car's bull horn and ordered us over and back into the number 3 lane. if CalTrans would just stay on top of the road repairs in either the number 3 or 4 lanes due to heavy truck damage to the pavement, it wouldn't be an issue. The lack of funding by the State of California to stay on top of their road infrastructure repair work is starting to show all over the state (personal opinion).

D.
2013 Sunset Trail 32RL 5th Wheel (no longer own)
Donjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:01 AM   #20
Full Time Camper

Here are the laws pertaining to towing in California per the California Vehicle Code.

(a) Whenever the Department of Transportation or local authorities with respect to highways under their respective jurisdictions determines upon the basis of an engineering and traffic investigation that the designation of a specific lane or lanes for the travel of vehicles required to travel at reduced speeds would facilitate the safe and orderly movement of traffic, the department or local authority may designate a specific lane or lanes for the travel of vehicles which are subject to the provisions of Section 22406 and shall erect signs at reasonable intervals giving notice thereof.
(b) Any trailer bus, except as provided in Section 21655.5, and any vehicle subject to the provisions of Section 22406 shall be driven in the lane or lanes designated pursuant to subdivision (a) whenever signs have been erected giving notice of that designation. Except as otherwise provided in this subdivision, when a specific lane or lanes have not been so designated, any of those vehicles shall be driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right edge or curb. If, however, a specific lane or lanes have not been designated on a divided highway having four or more clearly marked lanes for traffic in one direction, any of those vehicles may also be driven in the lane to the immediate left of that right-hand lane, unless otherwise prohibited under this code. When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, the driver shall use either the designated lane, the lane to the immediate left of the right-hand lane, or the right-hand lane for traffic as permitted under this code.
This subdivision does not apply to a driver who is preparing for a left- or right-hand turn or who is entering into or exiting from a highway or to a driver who must necessarily drive in a lane other than the right-hand lane to continue on his or her intended route.

22406. No person may drive any of the following vehicles on a highway at a speed in excess of 55 miles per hour:
(a) A motortruck or truck tractor having three or more axles or any motortruck or truck tractor drawing any other vehicle.
(b) A passenger vehicle or bus drawing any other vehicle.
(c) A schoolbus transporting any school pupil.
(d) A farm labor vehicle when transporting passengers.
(e) A vehicle transporting explosives.
(f) A trailer bus, as defined in Section 636.