Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2021, 09:02 PM   #1
New Camper

Towing Volante 270BH with Short Bed Truck without a slider hitch such as BD3

Recently purchased a 2019 Volante 270BH and looking to get either a 6’6” or 6’9” short bed truck with a non-sliding Hensley BD3 Trailer Saver fifth wheel hitch. I am concerned about not having a non-sliding hitch and was wondering with the front cap design how tight of a turn are people able to achieve without a slider hitch and no other special pin box design that pivots behind the king pin.
Shooter81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 06:46 AM   #2
Site Team

You will have more peace of mind if you buy a slider hitch.

I have one in my short bed, and don't use it very often. Buuut there are rare occasions when I do. One slip up and it will have paid for it's self.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 07:44 AM   #3
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
You will have more peace of mind if you buy a slider hitch.

I have one in my short bed, and don't use it very often. Buuut there are rare occasions when I do. One slip up and it will have paid for it's self.
Thank you. Not looking to save cost per se as the BD3 is generally 2x of a good slider but it provides the air ride benefit of the shock systems that has received great reviews that am interested in to smoothen out the ride.
Shooter81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 04:10 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Be very careful here.

I faced the same issues when we bought our fiver.

Hitches come in all shapes and sizes. If you have a short wheelbase truck, a fixed position hitch like I think this one may be has the pin in one position. The B&W Companion has the ability to move the pin connection around.

Unless the fiver nose is sharply tapered then it is much more likely you will hit the cab eventually. Thus the slider is a good plan.

We bought the Anderson. The hitch point is pretty far back.

If your rv is a recent design for short bed trucks than any hitch might work.

That was not the case on my fiver. This hitch would have taken my back window out the second week of our vacation. Real tight space. Close to a 90 degree turn.
tomkatbay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bd3, short box, slider hitch, volante