Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2016, 08:54 AM   #21
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannFam View Post
I tow a 32BH 36' long and 7200lb dry weight with a ProPride hitch, no problems with sway and we put over 2500 miles on it last year.
The ProPride is the key to that equation

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:43 AM   #22
Full Time Camper

I agree that with proper loading and a quality hitch with integral sway control (Equalizer, Hensley, or ProPride), you should be fine if within specs for truck's capabilities.

For me, the maxed out 34' our TT is isn't a stability issue, it is a comfort level for me with maneuverability. I'll never tow around something larger than this unit.

Don't cheap out on hitch. Our 28' TT had a decent hitch with separate friction sway control. It handled well, but the 34' TT handles better IMHO with the Equalizer.

Edit: Sig doesn't say - I have a 1/2 ton Sierra with 3.42 (9200# rating) FWIW.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:33 AM   #23
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedmiston View Post
Nice. I stand corrected.

I guess I'm accustomed to the toy hauler world where the rig and cargo are very heavy.
Agreed. Us toy hauler types can't compare those to the non tt's.
My 5th wheel toy hauler is only a 32' listed, 33' actual. With triple axles it's rated at 15,500 lbs, a far cry from what he'll be pulling.
I always know it's behind me, even with the long bed diesel.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:42 AM   #24
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2millers View Post
Agreed. Us toy hauler types can't compare those to the non tt's.
And we usually aren't allowed indoors with the grownups.

What kind of toys do you have and where do you camp?
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:07 AM   #25
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbldavis View Post
I agree that with proper loading and a quality hitch with integral sway control (Equalizer, Hensley, or ProPride), you should be fine if within specs for truck's capabilities.

For me, the maxed out 34' our TT is isn't a stability issue, it is a comfort level for me with maneuverability. I'll never tow around something larger than this unit.

Don't cheap out on hitch. Our 28' TT had a decent hitch with separate friction sway control. It handled well, but the 34' TT handles better IMHO with the Equalizer.

My 36 footer is a joy to maneuver at rural gas stations
Old 03-25-2016, 11:08 AM   #26
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedmiston View Post
And we usually aren't allowed indoors with the grownups.

What kind of toys do you have and where do you camp?
Motorcycles and my brother's 4 wheelers.

As an old desert racer, we still head out to Lucerne Valley, Red Mtn, Cal City, Stoddard Wells areas. Now it's to just hang out with the kids and relax.

Lots of places north of LA, really stay away from the crazy areas down south.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:11 PM   #27
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2millers View Post
Motorcycles and my brother's 4 wheelers.

As an old desert racer, we still head out to Lucerne Valley, Red Mtn, Cal City, Stoddard Wells areas. Now it's to just hang out with the kids and relax.

Lots of places north of LA, really stay away from the crazy areas down south.
Good list. Our favorite spot is past Red Mountain on Trona Road before you get to Wagon Wheel, near Teagle Wash.
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 01:45 PM   #28
Family Vacation Member

Quote:

Before the 5er I towed a 36' tt with an Expedition and had an Equalizer but didn't like the way semi's push the trailer around, so spent the $$$ and got a Hensley best money I ever spent. If you ever decide to upgrade to a 5er they will give you $1000.00 trade in for a trailer saver 5er hitch.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:25 PM   #29
Full Time Camper

Quote:
I'll never tow around something larger than this unit.

I will take bet's on THAT statement

Egg-xactly what we said 4 or 5 rv's ago
Old 03-26-2016, 09:36 AM   #30
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw3jason View Post
The ProPride is the key to that equation
x2 on the Propride. Totally different towing experience than traditional friction hitches.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 05:17 PM   #31
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty glampers View Post
Before the 5er I towed a 36' tt with an Expedition and had an Equalizer but didn't like the way semi's push the trailer around, so spent the $$$ and got a Hensley best money I ever spent. If you ever decide to upgrade to a 5er they will give you $1000.00 trade in for a trailer saver 5er hitch.
The wheelbase of the Expedition had alot to do with that, too. The longer truck is night and day from our long WB Trailblazer, even though TB towed smaller trailer.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:50 PM   #32
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
The wheelbase of the Expedition had alot to do with that, too. The longer truck is night and day from our long WB Trailblazer, even though TB towed smaller trailer.
Yeah not by choice, we ordered a 27' but order got messed up so after I requested my deposit back they offered us the longer one they had on there lot for the same money. After I put the Hensley on I pulled it for 4 yrs.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:28 PM   #33
Family Vacation Member

I know this thread I started is about a year old, but I wanted to follow up with it on my experience for future inquisitors. We ended up playing it safe and going with with Sunset Trail 26BB. Bumper to pin it is 30'. As with everything, there were trade off's. It pulled extremely well with our F-150 at speeds of 60 or under. Before we even bought the trailer we purchased the Road Master Active Suspension. We notice above 60 miles an hour the truck feels just a tad "squishy", if anyone knows what I mean. The best explanation I can give is thinking of the tires like a bungie cord at speeds above 60. Sure the tires are firmly attached to the road but it feels somewhat flexible side to side a bit with the wind resistance. And we attributed that to the "P" rated tires being only 2 ply which is what most F-150's come with. We love that we can back into campsites with relative ease and don't really have to worry if the site is big enough for our trailer.

We just purchased Michelin Defender Load Range E 10 ply tires, and are waiting to see if there is a significant difference when towing, so I'll let ya know after a couple of trips. But so far, we are very happy with our choice for compromise of having the slightly smaller trailer for ease of use, vs. over doing it and making the trips a potentially white knuckle situation. Because let's be honest, part of the fun is the towing experience. And if it's no fun to tow, how often will you really go? So in short, everything we have learned in our limited experience over the past 2 years is a a trade-off, we have learned with purchasing our trailer. We spend a solid year educating ourselves and learning from others both on this forum and through friends before purchasing our unit and vehicle. Our take away from our experience thus far is that it boils down to what you are willing to sacrifice to gain something else that you desire. Whether it be the floor plan you choose, or the weight of the trailer in how comfortable it will be to tow for your travel vehicle. Just make sure the one thing you don't sacrifice is safety in choosing the right trailer for your TV. Both for you and your family, and the rest of us on the road. =)

-Tim

TV: 2015 F-150 XLT Crew Cab 3.5L Eco 4x4 Max Tow
TT: 2017 26BB
SB: Catalina 22
NoodlesWIU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:18 PM   #34
Full Time Camper

Trailer Length & Towing

We've been towing a 32BH for about a year with our F150 Eco and the ProPride hitch. No difference in how this trailer pulls to our 300BH. Run 10plys and air bags in the rear since our last trailer. Makes a huge difference when the wind kicks up. That tire roll plays hell on keeping her straight with those factory tires. Making the trip out west again this summer and this time going all the way to Glacier. If anything changes in how she handles I'll be sure to post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-03-2017, 09:42 AM   #35
Weekend Camper

I think it's to much trailer for truck, but I see it all the time. Makes a difference if long trips or state parks close to home. IMO
2011 27' RLX
gregtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:29 PM   #36
Family Vacation Member

Mark,

That's a lot of trailer! We fell in love with the 310RL that came out last year, but we knew a 36' travel trailer with a 1/2 ton would have been a beast for trailering and backing up even if it was within towing specs for our truck. Our problem was we have two kids who one was about to enter HS, the other in a year about to go to college so in a few years we wouldn't need all the space. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the 10 ply tires feel when towing now. =)

-Tim

TV: 2015 F-150 XLT Crew Cab 3.5L Eco 4x4 Max Tow
TT: 2017 26BB
SB: Catalina 22
NoodlesWIU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:05 PM   #37
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtx View Post
I think it's to much trailer for truck, but I see it all the time. Makes a difference if long trips or state parks close to home. IMO

I would tend to agree, we towed our 300BH for over 14K miles with no issues including out to Yellowstone and back. We towed this trailer on a couple long trips for about 3K, again, no issues thus far. While length is a concern, its the hitch weight and overall weight is where you can run into control issues. I keep next to nothing in the front storage and have a set of storage containers I keep just forward of the axle in the trailer when we travel. I also hang out around 55-60 MPH. My motto is we get there when we get there.

Old 04-06-2017, 04:57 PM   #38
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMark View Post
I would tend to agree, we towed our 300BH for over 14K miles with no issues including out to Yellowstone and back. We towed this trailer on a couple long trips for about 3K, again, no issues thus far. While length is a concern, its the hitch weight and overall weight is where you can run into control issues. I keep next to nothing in the front storage and have a set of storage containers I keep just forward of the axle in the trailer when we travel. I also hang out around 55-60 MPH. My motto is we get there when we get there.

I like the way you think in terms of safety. We take the same approach. Will say that we are going to upgrade to a HD truck later this year and with the Propride hitch recently gifted to me, I'm feeling more sure about taking on some longer trips out west. That trip to the Black Hills a few years ago will stick with me forever, for many reasons.
MidOhioHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:18 PM   #39
Full Time Camper

I hear ya. We dealt with some serious weather coming back from Yellowstone. 50-60 mph winds. We even saw a truck and travel trailer flipped on the other side of the interstate that day. Very sobering

Old 04-06-2017, 05:19 PM   #40
Full Time Camper

Oh almost forgot. GO TRIIBE!