Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2015, 09:10 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Trailer weight to hitch % question

I know the ideal ratio would be 10%-15% should be tongue weight, but given I have the Z-218TD new type of toyhaulers here is my dilemna. This is a 2 part question as well. Hitch weight is running 1280lbs without adding generator and fuel. I know I will be over 1400lbs tongue weight. If I am a little over 1400lbs tongue weight, would 1400lb WD be sufficient or should I go for the 1500 lb bars, maxing out on the hitch? Other question is, fully loaded the rig is only at 6600lbs, way over that ratio. It is more like 22% on the hitch. But with different loading for the trailer if I have nothing on it then I am 700lbs hitch weight. Given that info, is a 1500lb WD hitch set up adjustable for both situations? I am a TOTAL noob to WD set ups. I ordered a set of eaz lift 1200lb WD set up prematurely and I am in the process of returning for something that will better suit my needs.

Can some of you seasoned travelers help out? Thanks.
morphrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:01 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

15% is a lot different than 22% so I would think you would definitely need two different setups for when you have a larger load inside the rig. Maybe TWO sets of bars? I would call the hitch manufacturer and talk to them and see what they recommend. does the 22% overload the tow vehicle rating?
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:23 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Is there a downside to just running the larger bars all the time?

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:48 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Dry hitch weight on a toy hauler is going to be more because they anticipate you adding around 2000 lbs to the back of the unit. If you are not going to be putting a bike(s) or atv(s) in the back then yes you are going to be heavy in the front end. If you do put a bike(s) or atv(s) in the back then this should take the tongue weight to the estimated 10% - 15% range for proper towing. Most of the guys I know will use the heavier bars and just adjust the bars accordingly. Of course this can be a little more involved if you are using a Equal-I-zer style hitch. Just make sure when you do your set up that you are sitting level, truck and trailer and you should be ok. I have pulled some different style trailers (weight, size, etc.) with my same WDH set up and haven't had an issue. I just adjust the bars lower, less chain links or lower bracket height for a lighter pin and just the opposite for a heavier pin. Just make sure you have bars that are rated for the heaviest pin you are anticipating, in your case it sounds like you are going to want the 1500 or heavier bars. To help with the tongue weight if you have a water tank or fuel tank behind the axles you can fill them and this will help take some of that weight off the pin.

Phil & Janine
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Short Bed 2500HD Cummins
2014 Cruiser 333RL
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 01:35 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingcpl View Post
Most of the guys I know will use the heavier bars and just adjust the bars accordingly. Of course this can be a little more involved if you are using a Equal-I-zer style hitch. Just make sure when you do your set up that you are sitting level, truck and trailer and you should be ok.
This is what I was thinking.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 01:40 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Unless it exceeds any of your vehicles ratings there is no downside to heavy tongue weight. The 10-15% is a generalization of the minimum tw necessary to keep sway to a minimum. Go with the heavier WD bars and load 'er up.

2014 F350 6.7 PSD
8iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:25 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Thanks for all the input guys.

Campingcpl - The 218TD toyhauler is a front deck type. With no toys on it, it's weight is 760lbs hitch weight. After adding toys only, no fuel or generator I was at 1280lbs. Add 10 gals. fuel, generator and whatever else I think I will be pushing the 1400lb mark. From the suggestions above I think I will go for a 1500lb WD set up and adjust accordingly.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:05 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Since you will be near max on your receiver, make sure your receiver and the frame where it bolts to are in good condition also...if it is a GM, welds have been known to fail on their factory hitches when they are all rusty, and a rusted frame can distort at the hitch bolt holes when under a lot of weight. (rust is a sad fact of life here in New England especially after a winter like we just had)
I'm dealing with the same issue with my new 252TD toy hauler....700 lbs with no atvs and 1600+ lbs with the atvs loaded up....

Matt & Kirsten - Seekonk, Massachusetts
2015 Z-1 252TD Toy Hauler
2002 AVALANCHE 2500 8.1L Z85
ConveyTrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:08 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

The concern I Have is when you have nothing on the deck, your tongue weight may be too light and could set up a sway condition of it is too heavy in the rear.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:20 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

90% of the time I will have around 1400lbs on it though. I feel my safe bet is the 1500lb set up.