Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
New Camper

I had a receiver hitch welded on to the back of my ZT260BH by a professional welder. Unfortunately, he wasn't able help with any wiring for trailer lights. I'm planning on pulling a small utility trailer behind the camper and want lights hooked up. I cannot find where the trailer light wiring is located. Has anyone out there done this? I just need to know where the wires are so I can splice in.

atwardle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

The dealer ran mine up the back wall to the tail light assemblies and spliced in there.

Just a small hole at the bottom, remove the tail lightsand used a stiff wire to fish the wires into the hole. Sealed the hole with caulk.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #3
New Camper

I'll have to check that out. My tail light casings are completely sealed with caulk, so I'll have to cut that, but not a big deal to re-caulk. Thanks for the tip!

atwardle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
Site Team

Bipeflier hit it right on the head. That's exactly the way mine came from the factory.
You will have to get the tail lights off so you can splice in.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:12 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

When I wired ours up I was concerned about drilling into the wall to tap into the wiring harness, so instead I tapped into the junction box near the pin box and fished a wire through the front storage compartment and out the propane cylinder cabinet. I used outdoor rated wire and ran it along the frame rail to the bumper. No need to drill anything (other than the wire clamps).

Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:40 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucklehead
When I wired ours up I was concerned about drilling into the wall to tap into the wiring harness, so instead I tapped into the junction box near the pin box and fished a wire through the front storage compartment and out the propane cylinder cabinet. I used outdoor rated wire and ran it along the frame rail to the bumper. No need to drill anything (other than the wire clamps).

If you pull your taillight assembly off the wall, then you can run a stiff wire up, or down, which ever way you want to do it. Then you will have your wire on the bottom side of the trailer, ready to hook the pig tail to. There is no need to drill a hole in the trailer wall.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote