Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #41
Full Time Camper

The gvwr is 10,000 lbs. The scaled weight of the truck is right around 8500 lbs give or take 50 lbs. That leaves right around 1500 lbs for payload. I have the long bed crew cab 4x4 and the Diesel engine isn't light either. Also it has lariat package and spray in liner and then there is the family. Weight included our former 70 lb dog as well.I have about 2400 lbs available on the rear axle though. I have been through these numbers more than a dozen times. my scaled weights and calculations agree with my tire sticker. Sad I know. I didn't think to check this when I bought it. I learned the hard way the just because it's a diesel 3/4 ton, it can't tow much more than many half tons (and in some cases less). enough about my truck, just wanted the OP to be aware of this in their truck shopping.Edited by: anaro

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:26 AM   #42
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro
The gvwr is 10,000 lbs. The scaled weight of the truck is right around 8500 lbs give or take 50 lbs. That leaves right around 1500 lbs for payload. I have the long bed crew cab 4x4 and the Diesel engine isn't light either. Also it has lariat package and spray in liner and then there is the family. Weight included our former 70 lb dog as well.I have about 2400 lbs available on the rear axle though. I have been through these numbers more than a dozen times. my scaled weights and calculations agree with my tire sticker. Sad I know. I didn't think to check this when I bought it. I learned the hard way the just because it's a diesel 3/4 ton, it can't tow much more than many half tons (and in some cases less). enough about my truck, just wanted the OP to be aware of this in their truck shopping.

Very astute Aileen! You are doing it right. It does seem low however. My Chevy 2500HD CC LB Dmax had a payload of 3300. With all of my stuff, passengers and fuel it went down to 2500. The pin on my 5er is 2400. I had the combo weighed and all checked out OK. Perhaps you should recheck.

Interestingly, the GCWR on the 2500HD and the 3500HD are identical. The only diff is the payload - 3300 vs. 5300. I would think the Fords would be similar, although I know Ford worked hard between 2011 and 2012 to increase their GCWR. My '12 F350 can tow more than the '11 F450 I almost bought.
The bunk bedroom is for Haley!

Crossing the Roads with The Mason-Dixon Bunch
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #43
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKamperRV
Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro
The gvwr is 10,000 lbs. The scaled weight of the truck is right around 8500 lbs give or take 50 lbs. That leaves right around 1500 lbs for payload. I have the long bed crew cab 4x4 and the Diesel engine isn't light either. Also it has lariat package and spray in liner and then there is the family. Weight included our former 70 lb dog as well.I have about 2400 lbs available on the rear axle though. I have been through these numbers more than a dozen times. my scaled weights and calculations agree with my tire sticker. Sad I know. I didn't think to check this when I bought it. I learned the hard way the just because it's a diesel 3/4 ton, it can't tow much more than many half tons (and in some cases less). enough about my truck, just wanted the OP to be aware of this in their truck shopping.
Â*
Very astute Aileen! You are doing it right. It does seem low however. My Chevy 2500HD CC LB Dmax had a payload of 3300. With all of my stuff, passengers and fuel it went down to 2500. The pin on my 5er is 2400. I had the combo weighed and all checked out OK. Perhaps you should recheck.
Â*
Interestingly, the GCWR on the 2500HD and the 3500HD are identical. The only diff is the payload - 3300 vs. 5300. I would think the Fords would be similar, although I know Ford worked hard between 2011 and 2012 to increase their GCWR. My '12 F350 can tow more than the '11 F450 I almost bought.
now you know why I keep saying I can't use my truck for the sabre 5er we want.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote

« tt hitch | Hitches »