Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2013, 05:34 AM   #1
New Camper

Just signed up to forum & have question before we finalize our purchase of new camper. We currently own a 98 Fleetwood Mallard 27' and have no problems towing with our 98 Chev Z71 Silverado V8 5.0 liter. We are looking at purchasing 2013 Zinger 33BH w/3slideouts. Salesman said we would have no trouble towing but feel nervous. Does anyone have any knowledge as to if this would be a problem? Sticker in door of truck says GVW 6200 lbs and not sure of what to look at on Zinger specs for actual weight. Thanks to anyone with any feedback.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:41 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
We have narrowed it down to the Zinger 33BH or the Jayco Jayflight 33BHTS, both had "as built" certified scale stickers from the manufacturers of 8,850 lbs empty. No way do you have the capacity for the actual tow weight or the rear GVWR for the 1400 lbs of tongue weight. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:01 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides/

There may be other sites but this one does go back to 1999, there was no 1998. It looks like, depending on your model, the C and K1500's topped out in the 6-7,000 lbs range.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Have to agree with Mike, that '98 with the 5.0L is just not enough truck for the new Zinger. My last 1/2 ton was a 2000 with the 5.3L and 3.73 axle and it handled a 6500 lb loaded trailer just fine, but I wouldn't have wanted less truck or more trailer, certainly not both, just from a pulling perspective. And I wouldn't want more weight behind the truck pushing it without the best W/D setup available.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
New Camper

Our saving grace may be that we are at the coast on flat land but one dumb question, what is W/D?
Old 01-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Seahag, please understand there is no "saving grace" to exceeding your rear axle capacity or the design limits of your truck. We're not talking about a trailer that is "at" the limit of your truck - your buying a trailer that clearly exceeds the limits by 2K lbs and is 36.5' in length. Not only does that put your family at risk but others as well. I'll get off my soap box...

W/D is weight distribution & a anti-sway system. You will need a W/D & sway device that is very robust for this trailer once you figure out what your going to do about the truck situation.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:22 AM   #7
New Camper

Thank you. We do have a sway bar for our current trailer and when we pick up the new trailer, we will make sure we have the proper sway bar for it. Once we pick up the new trailer (about 75 miles from home) we will know how our truck will or will not handle. It may be Camping World delivering it to our home & then borrowing a bigger truck to transport to our permanent lot at camp ground. Then not looking at towing unless a hurricane pops up and forces us to move it to higher ground. Really do appreciate all the feedback and this is the Mrs. I am just nervous about making the purchase but we want more space for the grandbabies.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:00 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

You may consider getting a buddy or a registered tow vehicle if it is going to a permanent spot. There are many folks who tow trailers for dealers. Check with CampingWorld they are probably using a private contractor. I would not risk the 75 mile trip, Mike has given youreliableinfo. That rig is to heavy for your truck. Not worth the stress or possible mishap.
Good luck travel safe.

Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

As another Mrs who has had to figure all this out and learn the hard way about tt being too much for a tv, I would not tow that tt with your current truck. Even with the proper tow vehicle you will need more than just a sway bar. You would want a weight distribution hitch with integrated sway control, at minimum Reese dual cam or equal-i-zer and quite possibly upwards of a Hensley arrow. Towing with your current truck is inviting all kinds of having issues. Everything from being pushed all over the road by passing vehicles, to the tail wagging the dog and even stopping issues. How do I know because I have been there with a rig that was less out matched than yours. If something bad does happen and they find you are towing that heavy over your limits you may find that insurance doesn't pay and you may find yourself in some legal troubles. If camping world is delivering it to you, maybe you can just switch delivery to your permanent site.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #10
New Camper

Thank you for the feedback. I am not sure of everything my husband has to hook up & tow our current 27' Mallard, but it does prevent all the issues you addressed as we have no trouble towing it. I just have concerns over this new camper we are looking at purchasing as it is much bigger. I just don't understand why the salesman/manager said our vehicleshould tow it. He said the older campers were heavier built than the new ones. This was at an RV show here in Wilmington. Once we get to Myrtle Beach & find our truck will not tow it, then CW is going to have to deliver. Then we will borrow a truck that will tow it. We just don't want to buy a new truck at this time but know eventually a bigger truck is going to be necessary. Just noticed you are from Mebane. My sister lives there. Again thanks for your post. It sounds like you know a lot more terminology than I do but I shall learn it.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #11
New Camper

PS, it looks like you have a Zinger. How to you like it/ We never heard of them until this past week. Would like any feedback on pros & cons you might have.

Thanks.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:31 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

The absolute first rule of RVing is to N-E-V-E-R believe what an RV salesperson tells you about towing capacity. Their sole interest is to make the sale, period.

You remember the scene in "American Graffiti" where the kids tie a rope around the rear axle of the police car? When the car drove off the rear was ripped right out. Well that probably is not going to happen to your truck but you get the picture? Not only will you be endangering yourself and your passengers but you will be the equivalent of a drunk driver: a person driving in an unsafe manner.

A couple of the previous posters to your question above are far from exaggerators. You really need to heed their words.

I equate your statement saying you "only" have to drive 75 miles from the dealer to saying "I'm just a little bit pregnant".

For what it's worth.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:58 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahag
I just have concerns over this new camper we are looking at purchasing as it is much bigger. I just don't understand why the salesman/manager said our vehicleshould tow it. He said the older campers were heavier built than the new ones.
Your older Mallard was built heavier due to the construction methods and materials used in 1997. BUT the new Zinger is about 33% longer, packed with heavy new features including 3 slide outs which is why it far out-weighs the Mallard.

Towing companies charge about $1.50 per mile to move a trailer, you might use them to move the trailer to your permanent site. Also, while you may not plan on towing much there is great risk with your old truck of a breakdown trying to avoid a hurricane.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahag
PS, it looks like you have a Zinger.Â* How to you like it/Â* We never heard of them until this past week.Â* Would like any feedback on pros & cons you might have.
Â*
Thanks.
:-)

Yes we are in mebane. We love our zinger. It has served us well these past two years. It was too heavy for my old armada and after being pushed all over the road by even little cars passing us and getting pushed down a 7% grade in VA,we were done. Traded the armada on the f250. Being overloaded is not fun, it is scary and it took everythingi learned in 20 tyrs of towing horses to keep that old combo on the road.Back to the zinger. It is a good entry level trailer. It hwas had some minor issues over the past two years but nothing major and all covered by warranty. DH and I have done several stupid things to this trailer and it has survived every last idiotic move we have made. I would recommend it but with the caveat that it only carries a 1 year warranty now.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:17 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

Camping world towed a Montanna for me to our permanent site until I traded trucks as I knew I could not pull the new camper with my truck. It's the safest way to go. Salesmen want their commission and will exagerate things a little but when your safety and the safety of other is the issue be sure to check things out thoroughly and the guys on these forums with experience will tell you how it is or steer you to the right answer.

Walkingstick is offline   Reply With Quote