Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2015, 06:11 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

WD Hitch & Backing up

So we are looking at purchasing a Sunset Trail 26RB in the Spring and have been doing all of our research since last February. We've purchased a new 2015 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost with Max tow package a couple of months ago to accommodate, but have one question regarding Weight Distribution Hitches.

We are looking at going with the Husky Centerline, but have a question about backing up with WD in general. I am assuming you will need to un-mount the spring arms when backing up into a site if you are doing any kind of real maneuvering. My hitch is rated for 600/6000 dead weight, 1,220/12,200 with WD.

If I am just backing up my trainer into the spot, am I risking damage to my truck or hitch by disengaging the spring arms for a few minutes to back in the trailer?
NoodlesWIU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:42 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

It is not necessary to disconnect the spring bars when backing.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:44 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

WD hitch

I have a Reese WD hitch and have never had to remove the bars to back into any site. With this trailer I added the dual cam sway bars and still have no need to remove the bars.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:44 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I have NEVER unhooked the hitch to back up . don't have to. You need the wd hitch to keep your rear of truck and tongue of trailer level. If you disconnect then you risk hitting your front jack and bending it.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:09 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

x4

We had a round-bar, and only the SWAY control was removed so we wouldn't damage it.

You do not have a separate sway bar, and shouldn't need to remove anything to back up.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:29 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Agree with not removing the equalizer bars. My TT sway control had an instruction decal that said to loosen the brake pad before backing.
President, Susquehanna Valley Chapter Shelby Dodge Auto Club (SDAC).
denviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:33 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Ok, thats good to know. So leave it hooked up, no concerns about backing up, maneuvering into a campsite, or backing into our driveway.
NoodlesWIU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:20 PM   #8
New Camper

I remove my bars before backing up; I cannot stand all the groaning noises. When I get efficient at moving the trailer backwards then I will likely keep them on till I park.
wudwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:34 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wudwork View Post
I remove my bars before backing up; I cannot stand all the groaning noises. When I get efficient at moving the trailer backwards then I will likely keep them on till I park.
If you hear groaning noises , you must have equilizer 4 point with square bars. f so , just buy 'bracket jackets' to put where bars meet L bracket on tongue and problem solved. Why waste time unhooking bars and holding up traffic when you do not have to.
If you have the round bar style with chains , then you will have a separate friction sway bar that you just have to loosen the black handle that tightens the friction part. only loosen it,do not have to take off.
I have been known stop at 5 campgrounds in 5 days on a cross country trip and never unhook till the 6th day.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:50 AM   #10
New Camper

Backing up with WDH

Harley, I have a WDH with sway control. Its the one that uses chains to hold up the bars. I put them on with front jack lifting up the tongue. Once I lower that front jack, there is considerable pressure on those bars thus I don't know how to loosen them without jacking tongue up. The noises come from both ends of those bars. Things will quiet down when I get more efficient. Thanx, Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
If you hear groaning noises , you must have equilizer 4 point with square bars. f so , just buy 'bracket jackets' to put where bars meet L bracket on tongue and problem solved. Why waste time unhooking bars and holding up traffic when you do not have to.
If you have the round bar style with chains , then you will have a separate friction sway bar that you just have to loosen the black handle that tightens the friction part. only loosen it,do not have to take off.
I have been known stop at 5 campgrounds in 5 days on a cross country trip and never unhook till the 6th day.
wudwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:28 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wudwork View Post
Harley, I have a WDH with sway control. Its the one that uses chains to hold up the bars. I put them on with front jack lifting up the tongue. Once I lower that front jack, there is considerable pressure on those bars thus I don't know how to loosen them without jacking tongue up. The noises come from both ends of those bars. Things will quiet down when I get more efficient. Thanx, Tom
Ok. put some grease where the bars go into the head . that will stop the groaning when you turn . Also put some grease on the ball before you hook up. that will help too.
You are correct as the only way to hook chains is to lift front with tongue jack.
As for sway bar , like i said earlier, just loosen it a bit after you get into the campground and wait till you are all backed into the site to take it off. ..do the same in reverse when you leave and tighten it up just before you leave the campground. it is really only needed when on highway.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:40 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

WD hitches aren't very smart. They don't know which way their traveling whether it be forward or reverse.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:50 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

When I had a WDH, I was told to never back up with the sway bar tight. I also had to clean the sway bar periodically (never lube the actual bar) which eliminated the squeals/noise.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:21 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Noodles, I have the same set up as you. As far as your truck if you are wondering, pulls it great. Just had to get the trailer brakes and controller adjusted enough so trailer was stopping the rig and not the truck brakes.

I have a CURT WD and do not take off prior to backing. But I do remove sway bar first. You will enjoy your set up, I know we do!
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:11 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

Guys , you don't need to totally remove the friction sway bar . Just loosen the handle. You may even get a site that is long enough to stay hooked up ,if you are just travelling and the site is an overnighter. That way you do not waste time putting it back on ... If the bar is installed correctly , you should be able to do a left and right tight turn with out hurting anything.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:22 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Guys , you don't need to totally remove the friction sway bar . Just loosen the handle. You may even get a site that is long enough to stay hooked up ,if you are just travelling and the site is an overnighter. That way you do not waste time putting it back on ... If the bar is installed correctly , you should be able to do a left and right tight turn with out hurting anything.
I disagree. If you turn sharp enough, you WILL damage the sway bar. Either by bending it in half, or over-extending it.

Trust me - I sheared the ball off the drawbar on our sway bar by turning too tightly at a gas station - bar over-extended and "POP", ball sheared right off.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:45 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbldavis View Post
I disagree. If you turn sharp enough, you WILL damage the sway bar. Either by bending it in half, or over-extending it.

Trust me - I sheared the ball off the drawbar on our sway bar by turning too tightly at a gas station - bar over-extended and "POP", ball sheared right off.
Agreed...I have the Equalizer setup with the square bars and the dealer was specific about not backing up with the bars installed. With the "L" brackets and the way the bars sit in relation to the "A" frame of the trailer, there is no way I am even going to attempt it. I can see how damage will occur. Even my manual states not to back up with bars installed!

I remove the bars once I pull into the campground. Wife checks in and I simply lower the jack to take the pressure off so that I can quickly remove the bars.

With my truck and the way it pulls, I am very seriously considering not using the W/D any longer.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:45 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

sorry to sound mean , but your dealer probably doesn't pull a trailer. I have the 4 pt equilizer and never take bars off , with either the 2500 or the avalanche.(unless I am unhooking totally) Like what was said earlier , the bars do not know forward from reverse. If the L-brackets are installed in the correct place or the sway bar on the chain type are in the correct place , then there is no reason to take them off whether turning around in a gas station or backing into a site...

Old 10-06-2015, 08:02 PM   #19
Weekend Camper

Quote:
sorry to sound mean , but your dealer probably doesn't pull a trailer. I have the 4 pt equilizer and never take bars off , with either the 2500 or the avalanche.(unless I am unhooking totally) Like what was said earlier , the bars do not know forward from reverse. If the L-brackets are installed in the correct place or the sway bar on the chain type are in the correct place , then there is no reason to take them off whether turning around in a gas station or backing into a site...
No worries...I learn more here than I do from the dealer.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:42 AM   #20
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by frosty42 View Post
No worries...I learn more here than I do from the dealer.

X2,

This site has saved me a half dozen trips back to the dealer. Remember, they are not and cannot be experts on every trailer they sell. Especially true at the big ones like CW. Here, you can talk to owners of the same unit you have.

Also, I've historically had great luck with the customer service team at Crossroads when I had some questions about my unit.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote