Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2021, 06:27 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

What’s your TV’s tow rating and how much are you towing with it?

I’m deciding between a couple of setups; I’ve run my numbers carefully over and over again and I’m within my limits. But I think because I’m new to towing, I’m finding that I’m struggling to gauge whether or not where my numbers are falling is typical or if I’m pushing the bounds in either setup.

Would love to hear what your towing capacity is and how much you’re actually towing. If you know your TV’s max hitch weight and your RV’s hitch weight, bonus points. Many of you have been towing for longer than I’ve even been driving, so I would very much appreciate your input. Thank you in advance!
wborisenok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:09 AM   #2
Site Team

Just like in the other post you are going to get two schools of thought. One that will tell you that as long as you are under on the numbers your fine. The other will tell you that you do not have enough truck unless it says Kenworth or Freightliner on the front - Before it starts i know no one actually said that. It was to make a point that what ever truck/trailer combo you have you need a bigger truck.

I will say this; the numbers are one thing your driving habits/expectations are another. My brother in law was one that thought his truck/camper should pick up speed while going up a steep hill. He never had "enough power". Me i am in no hurry. Just sit back - let the truck find its happy place and enjoy the trip. But that came from over 30 years and a little over 3,000,000 accident free miles as a freight relocation engineer. And believe me i have witnessed the results of obviously mismatched rigs.

As to the numbers. My rig is close but it preforms just fine. But we are looking at a different 5th wheel and that will require a bigger truck because the numbers will not be even close unless i pull it empty.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:41 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

My 13 Silverado 1500 CC has tow rating of 9500lbs. I call BS on that number.
Truck GVWR is 7000 lbs
Truck GCVWR is 15000lbs
Actual tow rating should be 8000lb. Truck axle max is 3950lbs each. Truck full of gas and me in the truck is 5667lbs. Loaded and ready to go front is 3234 lbs and rear is 3388lbs.
Anyways I tow a 2013 Zinger ZT260BH. Hitch weight 858 lbs. axle weight is 6204 lbs loaded and ready to go.
These are actual scaled weights. Truck does fine on flatlands but it struggled a bit climbing out of Jackson Hole Wy to Casper Wy on a trip in 2019.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:21 PM   #4
Site Team

My 2013 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab diesel has a tow rating of 13,000 lbs. with a ball and 15,800 lbs. with a 5th wheel hitch. The truck's curb weight is 7,294 lbs., the GVWR is 10,000 lbs. and the GCVWR is 25,800 lbs. I tow a 2014 Sunset Trail SF270BH that weighed 6,776 lbs. leaving the factory and about 8,000 lbs. on the road now. I have not found a hill in Virginia, Tennessee or Pennsylvania that the truck had to struggle to maintain speed while climbing with the trailer attached.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:04 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagst1 View Post
Just like in the other post you are going to get two schools of thought. One that will tell you that as long as you are under on the numbers your fine. The other will tell you that you do not have enough truck unless it says Kenworth or Freightliner on the front - Before it starts i know no one actually said that. It was to make a point that what ever truck/trailer combo you have you need a bigger truck.

I will say this; the numbers are one thing your driving habits/expectations are another. My brother in law was one that thought his truck/camper should pick up speed while going up a steep hill. He never had "enough power". Me i am in no hurry. Just sit back - let the truck find its happy place and enjoy the trip. But that came from over 30 years and a little over 3,000,000 accident free miles as a freight relocation engineer. And believe me i have witnessed the results of obviously mismatched rigs.

As to the numbers. My rig is close but it preforms just fine. But we are looking at a different 5th wheel and that will require a bigger truck because the numbers will not be even close unless i pull it empty.

Well said!
BOPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:23 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

I suppose I should update you all on where we ended up with our decision on the 272BH (the purchase that inspired my original thread and this one). We ended up backing out of the deal and opting for a TT that's 700lbs lighter and 3'2" shorter. I feel much, much, much better about the numbers and actually prefer the new TT to the 272BH in terms of interior. Big thanks to everyone who provided helpful input, I am grateful for your guidance!

I guess now I'll answer my own question? My 2021 CC SB Z71 Silverado is rated for 9300lbs and my TT is 5020lbs dry; will likely be just shy of or in the ballpark of 6000lbs once we load up.
wborisenok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 12:46 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

What’s your TV’s tow rating and how much are you towing with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wborisenok View Post
I suppose I should update you all on where we ended up with our decision on the 272BH (the purchase that inspired my original thread and this one). We ended up backing out of the deal and opting for a TT that's 700lbs lighter and 3'2" shorter. I feel much, much, much better about the numbers and actually prefer the new TT to the 272BH in terms of interior. Big thanks to everyone who provided helpful input, I am grateful for your guidance!

I guess now I'll answer my own question? My 2021 CC SB Z71 Silverado is rated for 9300lbs and my TT is 5020lbs dry; will likely be just shy of or in the ballpark of 6000lbs once we load up.

Enjoy the new rig! Not sure what trans you have but I have the 5.3L and 6 speed in mine. Truck tows much better in 4th. 60 mph and it revs around 2400 rpm’s. Truck is quiet and the motor is not screaming.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote