Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2020, 08:32 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Question Crossroads 2014 ST Reserve 26RB tongue weight

I bought the above used trailer from a dealer last fall. I tow with a 2010 F150 Lariat (gas) with factory heavy tow pkg. With Covid we just got out camping and I weighed it last week. I'm just 150 pounds over truck GVW with full water and loaded for camping which I can trim out, but I was surprised to find the trailer tongue weight was near 20% (7975 gross trailer, 1600 tongue: hitched trailer loaded axles 6760 pounds, 1215 WD tongue). I use an Equalizer trunnion WD hitch but now may have to upgrade. Anyone else have this experience? I know the full 40 IG water tank in the front adds 400 pounds, but I was expecting something closer to the manufacturer's listed empty tongue weight at 12%.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:47 AM   #2
Gone Traveling

That's why on any truck the max tow or GVW are very misleading. On most, especially towing a 5th wheel, you'll be over the payload limit long before ever reaching the max tow weight. Always use the payload of YOUR specific truck from the door jamb with the appropriate percentage of YOUR rv GVWR from the manufacturer sticker. Brochures, advertising & especially salesman, truck or RV, are the absolute last sources for tow weight information, ALL the info you need is printed in black/white on the truck & rv.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 12:49 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

You're so right that the truck will reach max payload before GCVW or max tow weight. My payload, and thus truck GVW, was 200 pounds over. due to the heavy tongue weight. I recall once when I was searching for trailers having an argument with a sales person about this. Forums like this one are the real story. I now have a hitch scale and will watch the loads more closely. Just wondered if other like trailers had similar weights.