Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2018, 12:45 AM   #1
New Camper

Major roof issue - advice needed/appreciated

Hello! My name is Jenna and I'm a traveling nurse adventuring through our beautiful country with my fifth wheel and dog. I own a 2017 Rezerve 32ik and have some major roofing issues. Before anyone asks, let me disclaim that I've used spot seal as instructed and that I never drive above 60 when hauling my fifth wheel. I also bought this fifth wheel used with a 1 year warranty which has since expired.
In March this year I was coming through NM on i40W when I ran into a storm with winds of 30-40 mph, rain and hail. I slowed as much as I could without disrupting traffic and prayed not to wreck. Upon making it into AZ, a man flagged me down to inform me that my rubber roof was starting to pull up. I climbed up top to find he was right and the rubber membrane had begun to pull back from the front cap. I very carefully made it to a truck stop in the crazy winds but not before the rubber roof sheared back more causing rippling and thus causing my vent cover to shatter off leaving me with an open vent. I did some quick work and was able to rig a ratchet strap around the front with tape to make a wind shield and help me make it to an RV service store. I made a claim with insurance company, Progressive, and hoped all would be well as I left my rig in AZ for repairs. Camping World stated that the entire rubber membrane would need to be replaced as there were some small tears.
After a few weeks I was very upset to hear from Progressive that the roof is considered a manufacturing defect and they would not be covering the cost of repair beyond my deductible. I have full comprehensive and collision coverage. As Camping World had quoted me a rather large monetary estimate of replacing the rubber membrane, I returned to get my camper and consider other options. I've read so many forums and watched how-to videos. The truth is, I'm very let down and need to hear if this has happened to anyone else and what they would suggest. I LOVE my fifth wheel but need some serious advice and a pep-talk!
jennahelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:43 AM   #2
Gone Traveling

Contact RV Armor for a quote. It's a sprayed on roof coating with a lifetime warranty, it's pricey, but so is anything CW wants to screw up for you. Never worry about the roof again & they come to you to install it.
Personally if I had to pay out of pocket, it would be the RV Armor rather than another rubber roof.
I'd also contact someone higher up the food chain with Progessive, this sounds like it was as much storm related as it was crappy workmanship. So basically a second opinion on both.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:32 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Jenna
These rubber roofs have a 10 or 12 year warranty which I would think would be covered in your case due to poor workmanship...No way a 30 or 40 mile an hour wind should peel back your roof...If you drive down the road at 60 MPH that is the same as a 60 MPH wind...Fact is the roof was not glued down correctly...Not the first time that issue was reported on this forum...CR is responsible and should pay for the repairs...Take pictures of the roof, making sure to pay particular attention to the amount of glue residue or lack of on the affected part of the roof...No glue residue means lack of workmanship...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:54 PM   #4
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyT View Post
Jenna
These rubber roofs have a 10 or 12 year warranty which I would think would be covered in your case due to poor workmanship...No way a 30 or 40 mile an hour wind should peel back your roof...If you drive down the road at 60 MPH that is the same as a 60 MPH wind...Fact is the roof was not glued down correctly...Not the first time that issue was reported on this forum...CR is responsible and should pay for the repairs...Take pictures of the roof, making sure to pay particular attention to the amount of glue residue or lack of on the affected part of the roof...No glue residue means lack of workmanship...
That manufacturer warranty has already been tested by folks on other forums & in most all cases the warranty was denied due "improper/faulty installation", so they have a way out of coverage.
In a couple cases the selling dealer repaired the roof as a "good will" gesture, which is bs, improper installation should be warrantied.
Again I recommend going to the top dog at your dealership, Thor, Crossroads, & Progressive & demand the RV Armor.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:17 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

I've used RV Armor on my 5th wheel, had the same thing happen. They came to my campsite removed torn section and laid down a new covering and rolled a compound on the entire roof. Life time warranty for you and the next owner when you sell it. Very happy with them!!
Old 05-23-2018, 04:48 AM   #6
New Camper

I have a 2016 Sunset Trail that I bought in the summer of 2015. I only used it once that year, so I just winterized it and put it away. The end of the 2016 season, while prepping it for the winter, I discovered about 20 bubbles on the roof. I took it to Camping World who submitted a warrantee repair request to Crossroads reporting “defective roof install” . Crossroads denied the claim stating the one year warrantee was expired. The manufacturer of the roof a 5 year warrantee that is invalid if the roof was not properly installed. The Sunset Trail brochure states the roof had a 12 year warrantee. There is no paper work to support this other than the brochure. After a few e-mails, and threatening to use the lemon laws of the state of Ohio to get Crossroads to buy back the camper, they agreed to replace the roof. This would have been $8000 for a year old camper. I believe your insurance company. I bet the roof was not correctly installed. You should pursue Crossroads for a resolution.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:32 PM   #7
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
I have a 2016 Sunset Trail that I bought in the summer of 2015. I only used it once that year, so I just winterized it and put it away. The end of the 2016 season, while prepping it for the winter, I discovered about 20 bubbles on the roof. I took it to Camping World who submitted a warrantee repair request to Crossroads reporting “defective roof install” . Crossroads denied the claim stating the one year warrantee was expired. The manufacturer of the roof a 5 year warrantee that is invalid if the roof was not properly installed. The Sunset Trail brochure states the roof had a 12 year warrantee. There is no paper work to support this other than the brochure. After a few e-mails, and threatening to use the lemon laws of the state of Ohio to get Crossroads to buy back the camper, they agreed to replace the roof. This would have been $8000 for a year old camper. I believe your insurance company. I bet the roof was not correctly installed. You should pursue Crossroads for a resolution.
I have a 2015 Crossroad Sun Set TT model 32rl that also has bubbles on the roof.
Camping World told me about it when they were replaceing my front a/c under warr.
On a trip for the summer out west .no leaks so far
Old 05-24-2018, 03:06 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Mine was 11 months old and needed a new roof. The panels underneath popped up and poked through the roof.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D7F26BB7-C183-4857-9F0E-5BB57578DA30.jpg (77.0 KB, 10 views)
Reese StraightLine WD w/dual cam sway control
Delillo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rezerve, roof trouble