Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2020, 06:12 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Slide issue

I have a 2012 Crossroads Sunset Trail Reserve 31BH Travel Trailer and the slider motor stopped working so I pushed it in by hand the question is they are sitting out about 1/2 inch from the trailer itself. It appears that’s as far as they go in but just want to be sure they are a.l the way in. I’ll get a new motor replaced ASAP. Thanks for any advice you can offer me.
Old 10-09-2020, 07:45 PM   #2
New Camper

Look at the seal on the trailer outside wall. It’s usually a rubber or foam hollow tube similar to what seals your car door. The slide should be in full contact and slightly compressing the seal all the way around when it’s fully in. If there’s a gap you’ll have a leak.

Also, if you can push the slide in, there’s no brake on the slide and nothing to stop it from sliding out if you take a curve too fast. If you have to tow before you get it fixed you should figure some way to secure the slide.
Sinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:52 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Re slide out motor removed.

Once the motors were removed the trailer had a strap put around it preventing the sliders from sliding outward on its own. I’m still in the progress of putting the 2 slider motors together so I can install them myself. It’s definitely a learning curve the things you need to learn on taking care of a trailer but it’s very rewarding as well. Thank you for the advice it’s much appreciated as well.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:42 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

That’s the right attitude. I’d rather spend a lot of time researching something than paying A LOT of money to someone else to do what I’m capable of doing.

Get er fixed and back out on the trail!! Good luck. Let us know if you have any questions

Tony & Lynne
Whidbey Island, WA
2021 Sunset Trail SuperLite SS212RB
2019 Ford F-350 FX-4 Crew cab, 6.2L gas
Tonyg2724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 04:10 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Re motor sliders

Thanks I have always taken the attitude that I can do it but will take a little longer than the professional that does it on a daily bases. It’s definitely a learning curve but I love doing research and fixing the problem than hiring someone to do it for me. At times I do get over my head and do require the professional in that field since he or she has more knowledge base to draw from than I do at times and I value the skills and knowledge as well.