Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2021, 11:39 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

ST32FR Bunk room Sofa removal?

Does anyone know how to remove the Jack knife sofas in the bunk room? I want to remove the sofas on both sides and turn them into actual double bunks, instead of a “flip down bunk with a sofa”....
Mbrockman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:16 PM   #2
Wit
Weekend Camper

I just removed our trifold sofa to replace with a recliner sofa. When it's unfolded there were 2 lynch pins to remove. Then I had to push the holding pins out. This allowed me to take it out in 2 pieces. Also there were L brackets on the back legs that were screwed to the floor. Just take those out and you're good to go. Hope this helps. I'm not the best at explaining this. But if you can get it into a couple of pieces it's much easier to move. Good luck!
Wit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:14 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Thank you. I think that’ll help some. I’ll have to dig in there and see how everything is mounted. Rather than a regular sofa with a base, it looks like the frame & cushion are just sitting on a ledge and screwed into place.

My plan is to remove the sofas and replace them with pieces of 1/2” plywood and topped with a thick foam pad. Hopefully it’ll not only free up some space and reduce [some] weight, but also be much more comfortable. According to 2 of my daughters, these sofas are extremely awkward and uncomfortable to sleep on.
Old 05-07-2021, 09:01 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbrockman5 View Post
Thank you. I think that’ll help some. I’ll have to dig in there and see how everything is mounted. Rather than a regular sofa with a base, it looks like the frame & cushion are just sitting on a ledge and screwed into place.

My plan is to remove the sofas and replace them with pieces of 1/2” plywood and topped with a thick foam pad. Hopefully it’ll not only free up some space and reduce [some] weight, but also be much more comfortable. According to 2 of my daughters, these sofas are extremely awkward and uncomfortable to sleep on.
My daughter agrees... Are yours the same on both sides?

I have a ST33FR and one is what you'd call a Jacknife sofa the other is a flip hide-a bed.. they're different. The Jacknife is horrible.

Currently located between Georgia and Insanity.

007matman AKA Matt
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:25 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

They’re the same jack knife style sofas on both sides. With my 4 daughters, I let them choose whatever bed they wanted when we surprised them with the new camper. My 13 year old and my 10 year old occupy the top “flip-down” bunks, and my 11 year old and 5 year old initially wanted the sofa beds.

My 5 year old is still young enough to not really notice, but my 11 year old reminds me how much she hates sleeping on that sofa every morning.
Old 05-08-2021, 05:24 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbrockman5 View Post
They’re the same jack knife style sofas on both sides. With my 4 daughters, I let them choose whatever bed they wanted when we surprised them with the new camper. My 13 year old and my 10 year old occupy the top “flip-down” bunks, and my 11 year old and 5 year old initially wanted the sofa beds.

My 5 year old is still young enough to not really notice, but my 11 year old reminds me how much she hates sleeping on that sofa every morning.
I hear ya. In my case, the younger two (9 and 11) nabbed the top bunks and the older two ended up with the sofas. The 16 yr old ended up taking the Jacknife and the 21yr old got the flip out.

She hates that bed too and wonders why they would call that a bed. I tried getting her to sleep on one of the bunks but she would rather curl up in a ball and sleep on the sofa. I may have to pull that thing out for a few years until the oldest is out of the house (he's finishing up School and still lives with us for now).

Let us know what you did and upload some pics. I'd love to see how you finished it off.

Currently located between Georgia and Insanity.

007matman AKA Matt
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 09:15 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Will do. We should be undertaking this in the near future. Once I do, I will definitely post some pictures. And... if everything works out I’ll be sure to post the materials I used and how I went about it.