Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2020, 07:10 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Sunset Trail with Scnwintek Slide issues (Constant)

Hi, we have a 2012 Sunset Trail Reserve that has had constant schwintec slide issues since pretty much the day the warranty expired (we bought it used and it had a 1 year warranty). We have already put over $2500 into the slide repairs and it broke again 1 year after the initial repairs on our final camping trip of the season last year (same issue as the first time - broken shoe in the bottom rack). We have also replaced motors.

We are having a really hard time finding someone in our area to repair it, and at this time, we are unable to trade in the trailer due to financial reasons.

We have acquired the repair kit to repair the rack from Lippert, they have graciously sent us the parts free of charge (not the whole rack, just the repair kit unfortunately), however no one in our city has had the time "or been willing" to repair it since January, still waiting for call backs from someone to do the repairs. I'm just wondering if it is because no one wants to work on this type of slide.

We are willing to try and tackle it ourselves because at this point we are paying a payment on a trailer that is sitting in our yard like a sore thumb and just want it fixed, however have been unable to find a diagram or video on the actual way to do so. Lippert sent us a diagram of the entire rack, but they don't seem to have a diagram of the actual assembly of the bottom part of the rack where it attaches to the mechanism at all. Are there any technicians on here that might have something they could send from their training or offer any advice at all.
fastcatkerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:02 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

So sorry for your issues. By saying you can't find someone to work on it are you just looking at dealers or have you tried searching for mobil RV tecks in your area.
Reese DC
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:50 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Go on YouTube and do a search for Schwintec slide issues and you will find several excellent videos on how to remove and replace the motors along with how to real-time the slide.

Best of luck, but by watching the videos, you should be able to do it. An extra person will be very helpful.

2014 Cruiser Patriot 335SS
gmccabejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:47 AM   #4
Site Team

Look in our Document section. There some manuals for the schwintec slides also.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 04:52 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Fastcatkerry; you can also go to LCI1.com, support documentation, slide-outs, in-wall slide-out. There is a ton of info there you can download. ccd-0001602 shows all the parts, ccd-0001768 shows bearing block repair kits. Type these numbers into Google and you can download. These two documents helped me a couple of months ago when I repaired the float side of my living room slide. Sorry I can't provide links, I'm at a campground with poor wifi. I think they even had a video that walked you through repairing the slide.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:40 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Fastcatkerry: I looked for the video but haven't found it yet, document ccd-0001768 gives a step by step guide to removing and replacing the gear racks and bearing blocks. By chance is it the float side of the slide that is acting up? I found on mine that our friends at assembly ran the self tapping screw that holds the bulb seal in place into the bottom bearing block rendering it useless for float. Also the Filon was not trimmed flush with the aluminum vertical stud. This condition did not allow the H column to set tight to the stud using up some of the float tolerance. I bought an extra motor cable from eBay that made the process go much easier, especially reinstalling. I had to remove the inside slide room trim on mine to get at the first three gear rack screws from the inside because it is so close to the bathroom wall. Also purchased a right angle attachment for my small cordless impact to get the screws out. I hope this makes sense and helps you out some.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:51 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
Fastcatkerry: I looked for the video but haven't found it yet, document ccd-0001768 gives a step by step guide to removing and replacing the gear racks and bearing blocks. By chance is it the float side of the slide that is acting up? I found on mine that our friends at assembly ran the self tapping screw that holds the bulb seal in place into the bottom bearing block rendering it useless for float. Also the Filon was not trimmed flush with the aluminum vertical stud. This condition did not allow the H column to set tight to the stud using up some of the float tolerance. I bought an extra motor cable from eBay that made the process go much easier, especially reinstalling. I had to remove the inside slide room trim on mine to get at the first three gear rack screws from the inside because it is so close to the bathroom wall. Also purchased a right angle attachment for my small cordless impact to get the screws out. I hope this makes sense and helps you out some.
Ours is the front of the slide, we have been having a devil of a time with it. (had to replace the axles too because the ones in it were the wrong size for the weight of the trailer and they bent driving down the highway our first trip out).

A couple of years ago it broke the shoe on the bottom and left us stranded with the slide stuck out and even with the manual override we had to leave it an hour and a half away from home. We went back a few days later and managed to get it in enough to drive it home to a nearby technician who fixed it for us with new tracks, rollers and inside parts for the lower blocks front and back (but not new blocks). It lasted just over a year and did the same thing again as we were on our last trip of the season. We still had a few days left of our final trip last September when it broke the bottom shoe on the front side again. We got it in and headed home, and haven't touched the slide since, but contacted lippert with the situation and they have sent us a new bearing block and repair kit for the front bottom ( no tracks though ). I've been searching everywhere for an assembly drawing or video (something a little more step by step so we don't totally screw the pooch, lol), but maybe we just have to take the diagram and go for it. My husband replaced the motors last year when one failed and lippert sent us new ones. The trailer is way out of warranty, but because we have had so many issues, they've been pretty good since our first experience about sending us some of the smaller parts for free. The labour is the expensive part at this point, and no one even wants to touch it around here. This is what it looks like right now. One picture is the broken shoe (from last time, and the one that is in it now that the tech replaced it with. The one we have to put in it now has the step in the middle that goes in the new bearing block they sent us which is the upgraded one, hopefully that'll make a difference) the other is what our track looks like so it's obviously grinding on it. No jumping teeth though from what I can see, so hopefully the gears are all ok.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image-15.jpg (329.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg shoe.jpg (270.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 07-14-2020, 04:08 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Wow, you have had some tough luck with you TT. I would recommend going to page 3 of the ccd- 0001768 document and do the measuring they suggest (with your TT level) for slide out parallel and squareness to the H column. Sounds like somethings out of square or not parallel to me. Just a suggestion, it's worth what you payed for it.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:59 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Fastcatkerry; I found a post on the Forest River Forum that may help you. Goron Sick has an extremely detailed post on repairing a schwintek in wall slide out. It's on a Class A rig but it covers the schwintek repair very well. Start with post #24 and keep reading. https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...-175612-2.html
Old 07-19-2020, 04:36 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

I bought a 2012 sunset trail reserve new. When you get it repaired always make sure your hooked to shore power or generator. The batteries aren't enough to pull the slides. It would always extend out or retract uneven. I had the motors replaced 3 times when I bought mine. They sent it back to factory where it spent 2-3 months checking for square replacing rails etc. They sent a traveling mechanic to my house over turkey day. It was 2 years of pulling my hair out trying to get it working correctly. I only use it 4-5 times a year And I haven't had any issues with it since. But I always make sure I am always plugged in. I think that helps it alot.
GregT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:49 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregT View Post
I bought a 2012 sunset trail reserve new. When you get it repaired always make sure your hooked to shore power or generator. The batteries aren't enough to pull the slides. It would always extend out or retract uneven. I had the motors replaced 3 times when I bought mine. They sent it back to factory where it spent 2-3 months checking for square replacing rails etc. They sent a traveling mechanic to my house over turkey day. It was 2 years of pulling my hair out trying to get it working correctly. I only use it 4-5 times a year And I haven't had any issues with it since. But I always make sure I am always plugged in. I think that helps it alot.
Also, if not hooked to 110v , simply keep truck running and wire hooked up to trailer so trucks alternator keeps a strong battery.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:44 AM   #12
Gone Traveling

On my last 5th wheel the factory techs said when operating the the Schwintec slides that once you hear the motor stop, whether extending or retracting, to continue to press the button for 3 to 5 seconds as this keeps the motors synced. If by chance they get out of sync open the slide 3-4 inches then retract doing this 3 to 5 times will sync the motors. Once these 2 procedures were followed we never had an issue with that slide in 6 years of full-time use. Even with extending it only slightly several times.
Also agree to connect to shore power before operating & keep the gears & motors lubricated with a good silicone spray.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote