Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2021, 08:31 AM   #1
New Camper

Unhappy Cameo 3891mk bedroom cable slide

Bought 2022 cameo 3891mk with double slide in bedroom. The cable slide does not go out completely flush with inside wall. I am told this is normal, but does not seem normal to me. Anyone else with this issue?
PYRSUEANDCHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 09:04 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Yeah. You have cables, pulleys, a gearbox and a motor between the wall and the slide surround.

That's normal.

I came from a Rockwood camper w/ a different type of slide and it was surprising to me too.

Currently located between Georgia and Insanity.

007matman AKA Matt
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 10:26 AM   #3
New Camper

Unhappy Cameo 3891mk bedroom cable slide

We had a Mesa Ridge with 3 cable slides and they all sat flush with inside walls. Couldn't see the cables, pullies or gear box when extended. Maybe need to go look at another Cameo to see if it's the same as what I have now.
Old 12-11-2021, 01:22 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Might depend on construction I guess. I've never seen a cable-operated slide that set flush, but I guess it's a possibility.

Mine's about 2-3 inches or so out from the outside wall when fully extended. Just enough to get your fingers behind.

007matman AKA Matt
Old 12-11-2021, 01:55 PM   #5
New Camper

Red face Cameo 3891mk bedroom cable slide

Enough room to see the chain and the pullies. Couldn't see that on Mesa Ridge 322RLS. I'm going to go look at another new unit at same dealer (different location) and see if it's the same gap.

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-11-2021, 02:05 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I can't see the cables and mechanism when fully extended. They're covered by the slide surround.

I might be able to see them if I had my head up against the wall in the bedroom.. Honestly, I've never noticed.

007matman AKA Matt
Old 12-11-2021, 02:33 PM   #7
New Camper

You can see my cables and pullies plain as day. I could actually make adjustments on cable as I can see the retaining sleeve. Something not right.....
Old 12-15-2021, 02:46 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

What you should be looking at to determine if the slide is out all the way is the side seals on the inside. You should see the rubber seal against the frame, with no air gap. You should not be able to put your fingers between the seal and the frame. The top facia has the motor and other workings behind it, and will not be flush against the wall. The sides are the important factor.
You have the BAL Accuslide system, and their website has a pretty good service manual. Also, there are many YouTube videos on that system.
It's not uncommon to need to adjust the cables.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 07:14 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

BAL Accuslide improvement suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingerdinger View Post
What you should be looking at to determine if the slide is out all the way is the side seals on the inside. You should see the rubber seal against the frame, with no air gap. You should not be able to put your fingers between the seal and the frame. The top facia has the motor and other workings behind it, and will not be flush against the wall. The sides are the important factor.
You have the BAL Accuslide system, and their website has a pretty good service manual. Also, there are many YouTube videos on that system.
It's not uncommon to need to adjust the cables.
We have Sunset Trails 291RK with 12' slide and uses the BAL Accuslide system. IMHO, it is a bad design but fairly easily fixed. The whole slide rides on a plastic "friction bar". Moving parts and friction are not good friends. I see many problems on forums and fixes on YouTube detailing these problems. When ours went ours went in or out, I could hear the motor straining. Some have expreienced the slide "hopping". The fix is to put rollers under it so the slide rides on them instead of the bar. When I did ours. the rear already was showing wear in that bar and had a groove just under 1/16" which means that end was lower than front. Now riding on the slides it goes in/out smoothly. I also adjusted the cables. I used a stud finder to find the floor supports (had to keep it pointed away from me or it kept going crazy! ). There were 3- one on each end and one in middle. For 12', I was going to use 5 rollers but without any supports, 2 would be pointless so I mounted 3. The bottom fabric was already showing some rash from the "friction bar"- hmmm friction- check dictionary. Now it works much better but any future trailer/motorhome won't have that type of slide.
Oh yes and the original post asked about a gap and slide not going all the way out. Ours does that too and partially blocks kitchen cabinet storage. When the slide is all the way in for travel, it blocks the fridge- rear bathroom models block access to bathroom. What school did these designers go to now-a-days???
We like the layout and space of this RV but are considering changing to a motor home (class C probably) with 3 slides or some very spacious bodacious slides for lots of room when DW retires in under 2 years now. We have made some nice improvements to this one and it meets our needs now but MH and pull a small Jeep (currently in process of frame off restore in shop- 1978 CJ5 with tweaked 304 AMC V-8).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6245.jpg (145.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6246.jpg (91.4 KB, 1 views)
Danimal713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 10:37 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal713 View Post
We have Sunset Trails 291RK with 12' slide and uses the BAL Accuslide system. IMHO, it is a bad design but fairly easily fixed. The whole slide rides on a plastic "friction bar". Moving parts and friction are not good friends. I see many problems on forums and fixes on YouTube detailing these problems. When ours went ours went in or out, I could hear the motor straining. Some have expreienced the slide "hopping". The fix is to put rollers under it so the slide rides on them instead of the bar. When I did ours. the rear already was showing wear in that bar and had a groove just under 1/16" which means that end was lower than front. Now riding on the slides it goes in/out smoothly. I also adjusted the cables. I used a stud finder to find the floor supports (had to keep it pointed away from me or it kept going crazy! ). There were 3- one on each end and one in middle. For 12', I was going to use 5 rollers but without any supports, 2 would be pointless so I mounted 3. The bottom fabric was already showing some rash from the "friction bar"- hmmm friction- check dictionary. Now it works much better but any future trailer/motorhome won't have that type of slide.
Oh yes and the original post asked about a gap and slide not going all the way out. Ours does that too and partially blocks kitchen cabinet storage. When the slide is all the way in for travel, it blocks the fridge- rear bathroom models block access to bathroom. What school did these designers go to now-a-days???
We like the layout and space of this RV but are considering changing to a motor home (class C probably) with 3 slides or some very spacious bodacious slides for lots of room when DW retires in under 2 years now. We have made some nice improvements to this one and it meets our needs now but MH and pull a small Jeep (currently in process of frame off restore in shop- 1978 CJ5 with tweaked 304 AMC V-8).
I also found that some of the rollers didn't have anything behind them for screws to bite into. In my case, the upper screws for the second and fourth rollers (of five) had the plywood floor to bite into, if I angled them up a little. The screw holes where there was no wood behind it had a pretty heavy metal bar behind them, and I was able to use a heavy pop rivet.
I really think the 12 foot slide needs 5 rollers. It is very heavy. Certainly
too heavy for to ride on a plastic bar. My bar collapsed completely on the ends.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3891mk, bedroom, cable slide