Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2020, 05:58 PM   #1
New Camper

Crossroads Cameo Axle

I’m fairly new to the RV life and have a 2019 Crossroads Cameo fifth wheel, we predominantly bought the unit to snowbird in California from the cold Canadian winter.
Have made two trips down and back so far and have cumulated about 15,000 km or 10,000 +/- miles on the unit.
Noticed on my return this year that the inner treads of the driver side tandem axle wheels were wearing hard, there is also tread wear on passenger side, but not as bad.
The driver side inner tread is almost smooth.
Put the trailer up on the levelling jacks on the driveway and started measuring.
First I put a 6 foot straight edge across the mid point of the tires on each side.
The passenger sides shows that both tires against the straight edge are toed outwards, measured about a 3/16” gap between strait edge and tire at back of each axle.
Did same on driver side and strait edge indicated tires were toed inwards, again about the same 3/16”, but this time at the front of the tires on each axle.
Is this a indicator of poor manufacturing assembly, or would both axles be bent?
Thought with a bent axle would have a different toe in / out configuration.

Anybody out there have any experience with this?

Thanks from Canada
c.stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 06:12 PM   #2
Site Team

Here is a link to similar problems others have had.
https://www.crossroadsowners.com/for...archid=2603274
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 07:08 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Stewart
I rally with a couple that had the same problem with wearing out tires...They own a Forrest River Cardinal...They went through a couple of sets of tires ended up removing both axles and installing a Morr Ryde system at quite an expense to them...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 02:41 PM   #4
RC3
Weekend Camper

When I needed to correct the problem had a wheel alignment done. I use Standens in Calgary. They are heavy duty mechanics that also repair Highway tractors. They also have their own forge so I used them to replace my springs when I noticed they eventually failed. There should be other similar repair facilities in Saskatchewan.
Old 04-26-2020, 05:46 PM   #5
New Camper

I have a 2020 Cameo CE3871BH. I have about 12000 miles with no tire issues. Up until recently I've driven a TX to NJ route back an forth several times to facilitate selling my NJ house and buring a TX house. My biggest issue was loss of tire air pressure and propane tank frost when sitting in freezing weather in New Jersey. I don't have the manual in front of me but i remember it talking about how the tires would toe in/out when turning in a tight radius...stating that was normal. I tested the RV and witnessed that happening, with the tires actually leaving tread burn marks on the pavement. I could feel the tires drag on the pavement as well. I'm not sure why this happens. Since I have a Cameo as well, I'm very interested to find out more about your issues and what to look for.
Navex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 10:44 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC3 View Post
When I needed to correct the problem had a wheel alignment done. I use Standens in Calgary. They are heavy duty mechanics that also repair Highway tractors. They also have their own forge so I used them to replace my springs when I noticed they eventually failed. There should be other similar repair facilities in Saskatchewan.
I have done the same at a local shop near me. No need for new suspension or new axles. Hitting a curb or pothole can throw it off. Find a shop near you not an RV dealer, they won't have the equipment, and get a proper alignment not just a phoney "Correct Track" adjustment. They can check and adjust all three factors. Cost is usually in the $250.00 range.
Old 04-27-2020, 08:51 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Lloyd, FYI, this link didn't work for me. Please verify.

Dustin and Doris

2018 Crossroads, Sunset Trail 33CK,
38', 7600 lbs empty, 8300 lbs loaded.
2016 Tundra: 5.7L with towing package with added "Roadmaster Active Suspension"
toolman.dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:03 AM   #8
Site Team

I'm having trouble posting the complete search link. It will come up, but doesn't stay.
If you go to the "search" and type in bent axles it should give you all the threads you care to read.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote