Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2016, 12:10 PM   #1
Site Team

Outside Kitchen

The outside kitchen with the sink that exits out on the ground instead of being plumbed to a grey tank has always been a sore spot for me.
When ChristianM was the Cross Roads Liaison here on the forum I thought there was progress being made on this issue. We exchanged many pm on the subject. She also asked if she could give Andy Cripe my phone # as he wanted to talk with me on the subject.
Andy called me on two separate occasions to discuss the problem they were having getting all the models that had the outside sink, to drain to a grey tank. He stated some models weren't a problem where others were. The problem models would require quite a substantial modification to the frame for this to be possible, which in turn would increase the build cost on the trailer. He said after conferring with his engineers it could be done, but like he stated the cost on certain models would be higher. He seemed sincere in the matter but was really torn on what to about it. I suggested if customers wanted a camper with the outside kitchen that was going to cost more to produce, then it should be offered as an option and they would have to pay the up charge. He seemed to like that idea and said he figured that would be the way it would be done. So that was the way it was left, and I went away with a good feeling of a nasty problem being solved.
Well, all of a sudden Christian was gone, Andy was gone, along with a whole lot more of the people in the CR upper level.
I have talked with Kathy Fuller, (Fuller22, the present CR liaison rep) a couple times on the subject, but just seems as tho I'm not being heard, or if I am I'm being totally ignored.
People that own one of these things shouldn't have to try and justify the water draining on the ground and leaving a mess for the next camper. It's a problem created by CR and they should be honest enough to own up to and supply a fix.

Sorry for the long rant, but I had to get it off my chest, and I wanted let everybody know that I was trying to help solve the nasty problem, and just frustrated that it seems to be falling on deaf ears.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:33 PM   #2
Site Team

Lloyd, I know you were close to having Crossroads redesign the sink drain. It's a shame that the project started by Andy never came to fruition. I'm hoping, like you, that the present leadership comes up with the solution, or take what Andy started and get the job done right.
This forum really misses Christian, she was always there to respond and do her best to help the owner resolve their issues. There hardly wasn't a issue that she didn't respond to. They're big shoes to fill. Hopefully someone will step up to fill them and get back into contact with owners who have problems.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:24 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Lloyd, thanks for spear heading this. I have a 2016 Sunset Trail 250RB with the outdoor kitchen. To be honest, when I bought this trailer I had no idea it drained to the ground and not in the grey tank. I found out about this during my PDI. I asked the dealer why this is not plumbed into the grey tank and he had no explanation. This is a huge design flaw in my opinion. Why have a sink at all if can't drain to the grey tank? I'd like to see a remedy to this problem and not cause a warranty issue in the mean time. I suppose in the immediate future I'll just have it drain to a bucket and then toss the water elsewhere. I'm hoping they can come up with a solution to this.
kgie1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:52 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

When we were shopping for campers that had an outside kitchen we found that other manufacturers didn't even bother with a drain. They used a removable basin.
At least CrossRoads has a setup I can work with to drain the water way, making the sink more useful.
2015 ST270BH
https://burgpath.us/photos/index.php?cat=13
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:03 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Agree with all of the comments above.

Where we currently have the CR parked, you are not permitted to drain grey water onto the ground. I use a bucket to wash up the grill items and pour the used water down the kitchen sink.

Really don't have any other options.

Our home base -- 2018 Grand Design Solitude 375RES -- The "Uno Mas!"
The mobile office -- 2016 Crossroads Hill Country HCT26RB -- The "Poquito Mas!"
Gone but not forgotten: 2015 Heartland Landmark 365 Key West (lost to Hurricane Harvey)
TxCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:39 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

The campground I go to does not allow grey water to drain on the ground. I would not be able to use the outdoor kitchen sink unless I had a way to catch the water and dispose of it at the dump station.

What would be really cool would be for the grey water tank to be able to exit through a spigot that I could put a hose on and use to put out the camp fire at night... Would require a pump but I am sure it would be doable...
Moogvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:52 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogvo View Post
The campground I go to does not allow grey water to drain on the ground. I would not be able to use the outdoor kitchen sink unless I had a way to catch the water and dispose of it at the dump station.

What would be really cool would be for the grey water tank to be able to exit through a spigot that I could put a hose on and use to put out the camp fire at night... Would require a pump but I am sure it would be doable...

What would be really cool, would be for Cross Roads to plumb them all to the grey tank.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:52 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
What would be really cool, would be for Cross Roads to plumb them all to the grey tank.
One would think that would be a great idea! Crossroads must have people working for them that have never camped a day in their life.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:52 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgie1217 View Post
One would think that would be a great idea! Crossroads must have people working for them that have never camped a day in their life.
OH So True!!
& Thor stopped Andy's program of exposing CR RV personnel from learning RVing.
Andy had started plans/programs that would have made CR RV above the rest of THOR. THOR only wants RVs that only last 2 yrs & make "GROSS Profits."
Old 04-13-2016, 02:37 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

That's interesting with our new 2016 Rezerve 31BH the outdoor kitchen drains into our black water tank. Not the best if we are not at a full hook up site. Ill have to watch that, and the kids to make sure we don't fill the black water tank. The plus side is if we are at full hook ups it adds more water to the black water tank to assist with draining with three young girls. It must truly be the floor plan, and if they have a tank near by to tap into.

Justin & Kayla Flowers
2016 Rezerve 31BH
2013 GMC 2500 Denali Duramax
judflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:20 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by judflowers View Post
That's interesting with our new 2016 Rezerve 31BH the outdoor kitchen drains into our black water tank. Not the best if we are not at a full hook up site. Ill have to watch that, and the kids to make sure we don't fill the black water tank. The plus side is if we are at full hook ups it adds more water to the black water tank to assist with draining with three young girls. It must truly be the floor plan, and if they have a tank near by to tap into.

Wow! I wonder if that is even legal? Anybody know for sure?
Old 04-13-2016, 07:48 PM   #12
Site Team

I think it's legal Lloyd. I believe there were some models that the bathroom sink drained into the black tank. Another dumb design. I'm at the point now that nothing surprises me anymore with rv manufacturers.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:48 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

Whats the point of grey versus black these days? Why not 1 big tank, treated as if it were black?
2015 ST270BH
https://burgpath.us/photos/index.php?cat=13
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:42 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgy View Post
Whats the point of grey versus black these days? Why not 1 big tank, treated as if it were black?

Don't give em any ideas.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:35 AM   #15
Family Vacation Member

Where is the new CR customer liaison? Seems like they would have contacted you even if it were in a pm.
We are fortunate that ours is plumed to the grey tank but if it were not or we traded today we wwould refused to close until it was corrected.
We need to stand up for our principles no matter how good the deal is.

Thank you
loogie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:11 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by loogie17 View Post
Where is the new CR customer liaison?

Quite a few of us are wondering the same thing.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:41 PM   #17
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Quite a few of us are wondering the same thing.
I emailed her with a question a few weeks ago when we bought our fifth wheel. Nothing. Crickets. Maybe she forwarded my message, but she never responded to me.
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:06 AM   #18
Weekend Camper

We're picking up our 2016 ST270BH today... will it have this same "drains on the ground" design for the outdoor kitchen sink? Is that standard for CrossRoads now? Thank you for any information!
Old 04-15-2016, 10:51 AM   #19
Full Time Camper

I don't know if anyone can say for sure. My ST26RB has the drain to the ground, but I hear some don't. Not sure if it's been consistent on any models.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:10 PM   #20
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakesScenicRoute View Post
We're picking up our 2016 ST270BH today... will it have this same "drains on the ground" design for the outdoor kitchen sink? Is that standard for CrossRoads now? Thank you for any information!
Just to confirm, our 2016 model drains to the ground to the left of where the outdoor kitchen pulls out.
TakesScenicRoute is offline   Reply With Quote