Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2022, 12:42 PM   #1
New Camper

2011 Cruiser front jacks

I am having problems with my 2011 Crossroads Cruiser 5th wheel front jacks. The last few times I have moved camp, the front jacks seem to be straining a lot to lift off the truck. This last time I ended up cranking it up manually. Then I had to crank it down to level manually. I did replace one of the two 30 amp fuses in the IntelliJack system. Even before the fuse blew it wouldn't lift more than a couple of inches above the ball (I have a gooseneck adaptor on and a recessed ball).
I haven't changed the weight in the front of the trailer so I don't believe overweight is a factor.
2 questions I have are 1: does anyone know the length of stoke on the jacks and 2: Do you think it may be the electric motor is wearing out.
When it wouldn't lift the first time, I thought that maybe I had run the jacks all the way down, so I raised them and reset the lowers. That was not the problem.
Any ideas would be welcome.
Thanks.
murphl66
murphl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 01:43 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Have you greased them. On my 2016 I have grease fittings inside the storage on each leg. I didn’t know that until someone posted it. My legs inside are painted black and the grease fittings are black also so their hard to see. Could be they never got greased from the factory. Start there and then go to the motor next IMO.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 05:06 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Are you relying on the battery or plugged into a 110V source while running the jacks?
Reese Weight Dist. w/friction sway control
jmnsn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 05:55 PM   #4
New Camper

To PAPPA-T. I read about greasing them and searched for zerks but couldn't find any. Maybe I will extend them fully next time and rub on white grease.
Thanks.
Old 07-01-2022, 06:02 PM   #5
New Camper

To jmnsn57. I have relied solely on the batteries. I have 4 6-volt batteries with about 450 AH and maybe I am overconfident in them. I had been set up with shade on my solar panels for 1/2 the day and heavy overcast for a few days prior to this incident. Batteries may have been at less than I am used to.
Thank you for replying.
Old 07-01-2022, 07:07 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphl66 View Post
To PAPPA-T. I read about greasing them and searched for zerks but couldn't find any. Maybe I will extend them fully next time and rub on white grease.
Thanks.

The zerk is located right on top of the jack post. I can't remember if I had to open the top to get at it. It wasn't complicated at all.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 08:19 PM   #7
Site Team

My zerks were found inside the front storage compartment. Find the jack and look at the top like Lloyd said.
By the way, connecting power to the truck should increase the power of the jacks also. You may have to run the truck to do this.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 06:44 AM   #8
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
The zerk is located right on top of the jack post. I can't remember if I had to open the top to get at it. It wasn't complicated at all.
I ran my hands around the sides and across the top of both sides and did not find any zerks. I will try again. I've been known to miss the obvious.
Thanks.
Old 07-02-2022, 06:49 AM   #9
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
My zerks were found inside the front storage compartment. Find the jack and look at the top like Lloyd said.
By the way, connecting power to the truck should increase the power of the jacks also. You may have to run the truck to do this.
I will look for them again. My truck isn't wired to give power when hooked up. I will have to have the generator hooked up and running...but I will give it a try.
I carry the generator on my ATV trailer behind the 5th wheel when moving.
Thank you.
Old 07-02-2022, 06:57 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Like jmnsn57 said. It could be your batteries don’t have enough power to raise the jacks. Have you tried hooking up to the generator and tried the jacks?

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 07:04 AM   #11
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
Like jmnsn57 said. It could be your batteries don’t have enough power to raise the jacks. Have you tried hooking up to the generator and tried the jacks?
Could be the batteries were low. I am hesitant to try anything until I get into town and buy spare fuses. I blew one in the IntelliJack system and do not have any spares. I plan on going into town today. It is a 50 mile round trip, so I don't go often.
Thanks.
Old 07-05-2022, 05:00 PM   #12
New Camper

Thanks to all of you for your ideas and suggestions. I finally got spare fuses and started trouble shooting today. I ran the generator for the testing. The jacks did raise plenty to get back on the truck, but it still felt like it was trying to power out both ways (up and down). I think it might be binding some.
I did run them all the way down and put grease on the outside. There are no grease zerks on the uprights.
I think I will buy a replacement motor and an aluminum gearbox. The parts I have are 12 years old. They gotta be tired by now.
Again, THANKS to all of you.
Old 07-07-2022, 05:09 PM   #13
New Camper

I tried submitting a reply but I don't see it...so apologies if it shows up.

I had the same problem a couple of years ago and it turned out to be rust on the landing legs was the source of the friction causing the motor to drag. I hooked the trailer to the truck, removed the adjustable portion of the landing legs and then extended the landing legs all the way out. I sanded the extended leg using a rust penetration oil and ran the legs up and down several times to try and coat the interior upper leg with the petrating oil. It solved the problem. I now sand the legs and spray with penetrating oil annually. You may want to rethink spreading grease on the legs because the grease may attract debris when the leg is down and drag the debris up the leg when retracted.
Anderson Hitch
JW-DJhappyduo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
front jacks, front stabilizer, landing gear