Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2015, 01:57 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Anaro's 5th Wheel issues

Well our Sabre came home today. It is better but still a couple of relatively small unresolved issues. They not only gave us new tires but all new rims. They sent the old tires and rims back to us. Shame they aren't maxxis tires lol. At least we can get to camping again.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:35 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Aileen
Glad to hear you are getting the 5er back and that most of your issues were addressed...I would think everything would be done after having it at the factory twice...The thing I don't get is why they replaced your tires and wheels if there was nothing wrong with them....
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:05 AM   #3
Site Team

Tommy, could it have been the extra mileage of towing it twice to the factory. I'm sure that put a lot of miles on those tires that weren't necessary.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:05 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyT View Post
Aileen
Glad to hear you are getting the 5er back and that most of your issues were addressed...I would think everything would be done after having it at the factory twice...The thing I don't get is why they replaced your tires and wheels if there was nothing wrong with them....
I found that curious as well. What was the reasoning for that action. I followed some of your posts and don't recall any reference to tires, rims or suspension.
Same size tires?
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:18 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Mark & Al
Yes that is why I asked the question...I have found that BIG BUSINESS tends to drag their feet when it comes to fixing anything related to their product once it leaves their doors (so to speak)... Neverless volenteer to GIVE you something for no reason, or for something on your camper that is NOT broken... I think if I were Aileen and Anthony I would be keeping a very close eye on the tire wear once they do get on the road...

Nancy & Tony had their 5er back at the factory and months later found out they had to have one of their axles replaced...

In God We Trust
Old 03-22-2015, 10:06 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

They told us they replaced the tires because of the wear from two factory trips from NC to IN. The rims were a surprise. I was wondering if they received them from their supplier already mounted so they did it that way but I really don't know the true answer there. They also voluntarily switched out our bike rack because it had some rust on it. The new one they put on is one of the issues we now have because it is not locking into the down position. As for big business.... I remember a time when crossroads treated their customers this way. It was in the pre-2011 era and the stories I read of it were why I bought my old zinger. The Palomino division of Forest River is under new management who is trying to turn things around. They also know I'm a mod over on the forest river forums so it may be they are trying to make me as happy as they reasonably can for some good publicity on the forums.

On edit- if I do have an axle issue, I have two years of warranty from yesterday to find it. I will be at the factory rally in August where forest river repairs all trailers regardless of age or readon for free so they can swap it out then if necessary.

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

Old 03-22-2015, 10:28 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Well shoot. Before putting the trailer away, I went investigating again and found more problems. There is now a soft spot in the kitchen floor with a bubble in the linoleum there. When the three main slides come in the bottom wiper seal is grabbing and rolling in. I can see daylight in the bottom corners where the slides come in. The top wiper seal on the dinette sofa is grabbing and not sealing correctly either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0146.jpg (74.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 15n258g.jpg (88.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0150.jpg (188.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0070.jpg (87.2 KB, 6 views)

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

Old 03-23-2015, 08:02 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Unbelievable...So much for "We went over the whole camper"...Soft spot in kitchen VERY BAD...All I can say is don't let them wear you down...

In God We Trust
Old 03-23-2015, 03:41 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

I'm at a loss for what to do right now. We wanted to be flown out to look at it before it came back but they said no and assured us all was well. They had the Gm, developmental program/compliance manager, plant manager and warranty manager all go through it before sending it back this time. They have been trying to make it right and have been in constant communication with us, but it's still not right.

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

Old 03-23-2015, 04:11 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

One would think if all the department heads missed what you have discovered Then Forest River is not at all quality conscious. The rims and tires were to pacify you.
At this point you should find a local "reputable" RV repair service. You have identified the problems get FR to approve it. If that fails lawyer up or bite the bullet and get it fixed. The fact that you mod on their forum should not enter the equation.
They use to say never buy a car made on Monday. I think you caught a Monday and the RV manufacturers are having them much to often.
It has been a real PITA for you folks. Good luck.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:34 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by socoguy View Post
One would think if all the department heads missed what you have discovered Then Forest River is not at all quality conscious. The rims and tires were to pacify you.
Aileen
I have to agree with this part of Al's statement, but I have to say if it were me, I would have to let FR know in no uncertain words that they are going to be taking my 5th wheel back to the factory until it comes back to me without ANY MAJOR ISSUES...

In God We Trust
Old 03-23-2015, 07:42 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Aileen
I have to agree with this part of Al's statement, but I have to say if it were me, I would have to let FR know in no uncertain words that they are going to be taking my 5th wheel back to the factory until it comes back to me without ANY MAJOR ISSUES...
This is pretty much the path we are going now and have been on. Before it cane home, We told them, if we found anything wrong we were going to send it back. Now waiting on a response from them.

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

Old 03-23-2015, 07:46 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Aileen
XXX100. How could that many people walk on that floor and not notice?

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:56 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim D View Post
XXX100. How could that many people walk on that floor and not notice?
I try to think positive, but my true nature tells me all the formentioned FR people never walked on that floor or even got within a 100 feet of that camper...

Good Luck Aileen

In God We Trust
Old 03-23-2015, 08:31 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

Quote:
I try to think positive, but my true nature tells me all the formentioned FR people never walked on that floor or even got within a 100 feet of that camper...

Good Luck Aileen
That is exactly what I was implying! A good example of all manufacturers have issues. It is what they do about it that matters. I feel for them. It would certainly have to go back. I don't know her personally but have a feeling she is on top of it.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:33 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Keep all the paperwork - keep very good records, document everything...
I like to email them to myself and document every day it is out of service...
I see a lemon law in the future....

what state are you in ? Texas has a very good lemon law and at least one very good lemon law attorney
Old 03-23-2015, 09:45 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

We are in NC. We have excellent records, phone messages, emails, pictures, work orders etc. The slides have been an issue since we bought new in July. Round one- maiden trip in early August, bedroom slide failed, dealership had to re-run electrical wires. Round two, labor day weekend, a hole in a pinched propane line leads us to discover all 3 slides in main compartment were way out of whack. Dealership was slow to respond due to service manager out on medical leave. I contacted the factory warranty rep directly. Plan was a factory trip in October. We winterized after the mason Dixon trip in October in preparation for the factory trip. It finally went to the factory in early December with a list of 40 items to be addressed (some major, some minor). It was returned new years day. We were told all was good. We took a trip in the middle of January. Slides still not functioning properly. The bottom protector strip appeared to he popping off the dinette slide, brand new slide seals torn again, and window trim pulling out again. Sent it to the dealer end of January. They discovered the dinette floor was separating from the slide. They found what they thought was water damage, and cabinets appearing to pull away from the wall.

I again reached out to Forest river. This time I made my unhappiness very clear. My requests were passed up the food chain amidst several emails and phone calls. They took my trailer back to the dealership a couple weeks ago and spent 2 days repairing it. They repaired it before even talking to me about the damage. My requests to be flown out to look at it were denied. I received the trailer back on Saturday. I have had at least 1-2 emails and or calls per week if not more since December. Before December it was every couple weeks. I have to say, I have the cell phone of the developmental program manager (he is also the compliance manager), he answered his phone for me on a Saturday morning. If he doesn't answer, I typically get a call back within 24 hours. Am I ticked off? Absolutely. I remain pleasant to deal with and continue to try to work with them but get progressively demanding. I am firm but respectful. I am losing my patience quickly though. I appreciate all the support despite it not being a crossroads Product. This is why I stayed here after selling my zinger.

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

Old 03-23-2015, 09:50 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

As for lawyering up, I'm not sure it would do any good. Unfortunately, lemon laws don't generally cover towables. I almost went down that path on my last FR product, but the dealer managed to get everything fixed without having to. I ended up with a great camper that I wish now I had kept, but it took a full camping season and multiple trips to the dealer to get it that way. The bad thing for Aileen is that her family is having to do without the RV that they paid very good money for while problems are being fixed that they shouldn't have to be dealing with. Good luck, Aileen. I hope they get it fixed right this time.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:24 AM   #19
Full Time Camper

Mike, I KNOW towables are lemon law covered in Texas...
but, if not in NC, there are many consumer laws about product usage that apply.

Have had two autos bought back and on my first rv suit - so, unfortunately, have a little experience with it
Old 03-24-2015, 07:58 AM   #20
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
Mike, I KNOW towables are lemon law covered in Texas...
but, if not in NC, there are many consumer laws about product usage that apply.

Have had two autos bought back and on my first rv suit - so, unfortunately, have a little experience with it
That's good news. Tennessee residents aren't so fortunate, but I'm not sure about NC. I've read that the federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act could come into play, but I didn't get far enough down that road to verify, thank goodness. I hate litigation.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote