Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2017, 06:30 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Bearing grease routine

How often should you grease your wheel bearings and how much? Our 2008 model has the quick grease zerts. We travel about 6-8000 miles/year.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2017, 06:47 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

If you do a search on this forum you will find lots of posts with good information on the two popular ways to grease your bearings. I would also recommend you watch the video on the Lippert website to understand how the Zerk method works. Personally I would grease your bearings once a year before your main travel season starts. I use the manual method myself and pack by hand. Yes it is more work and definitely the dirtier approach but if you know what you are doing IMO it is the best way. You can also take the rig to a reputable tire center and have them do it for you at a reasonable cost.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:15 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

M
I had my bearings repacked this past May...I had it done at a trailer shop...The service manager there said they should repacked every 2500 miles...I personally think once a season should be good unless you put an UNGodly amount of miles on the trailer...I would NOT use the quick zerk system...There have been reports of grease blowing past the seals...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:45 PM   #4
Gone Traveling

At 2500 miles I'd be packing bearings once a month. That service manager is looking for job security. I hand pack mine annually with 10-15k miles on them. I wouldn't recommend using the EZ lube zerks EVER unless you are 100% confident that there are good quality seals in place. By hand packing you're able to inspect bearings, spindles, brakes & most of the suspension, which also has grease zerks, in the process
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:23 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Brakes and bearings

ANNUAL Bearing Packing and Brake Inspection is a dirty job but cheap insurance against an expensive roadside nightmare. We perform this task each year before the camping season. The stresses on RV bearings are very high and you need to checkout your brakes on the way to the bearings.
EZ-lube axle spindles are drilled out on the end and you can grease the bearings via the zerk fitting without having to remove the wheel. These systems are known for their ability to blow out the rear seal therefore contaminating the brake drums and shoes. We do not use the EZ-Lube fitting!
The first time that I repacked the bearings I found that the area between the front and rear bearings was covered in rust. The rust particles were in the grease and the bearings were already mildly scored. I also found that the rear seals had failed and allowed grease onto the brakes. This was a major clean up and the brake shoes, bearings and seals were replaced. When the work was done I felt confident the job was done correctly and we would be safe as we traveled.
Last year I found two bad brake magnets. One was badly worn while the other magnets wires were burnt completely off. We installed two complete brake assemblies, adjusting all four brakes, repacking the bearings and replaced the brake wiring from inside of the axle where it was wearing thin to armored cable.
If you do not wish to tackle this chore yourself then pull her to an RV Dealer or Trailer Service. (Check with a local Semi Logistics company. They will be using a tractor trailer repair center and they will have the heavy equipment needed.)