Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2020, 10:37 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Need to Paint Cruiser Cap

Please see attached picture.

I live near Port Huron, MI, about 1 hour North of Detroit, MI or an hour East of Filnt, MI. I'm in search of a body shop that can sand, paint, and clear coat the front cap on my 2014 Cruiser Patriot 5th Wheel. I have received a quote for $2600 for one color and no graphics or striping. I bought this unit a year ago and they must have put something on the cap to disguise the issue because it looked gorgeous when I bought I, then a month later it started to show the fading. I'm retired and I can't afford $2600 and I'm hoping to find a shop that can do 1 color and clear coat without graphics for around $1500.

The rest of the unit, including the graphics looks great. In fact, last year right after Ibought it, people thought it was new. It just makes me sick and ashamed.

If anyone knows of a good paint shop near my area, please advise.

Thanking you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014 Cruiser 5th Wheel Front Cap.jpg (278.9 KB, 20 views)
gmccabejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 07:57 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I own a 2013 and had the front cap painted three years ago only to find out that the guy that painted it didn't do such a good job because it is stating to fade again...I was talking to a friend last night that mentioned using a wrap...He said would cost about $200 to do it...I don't know where he got that figure...It might be worth checking into, I know I will be checking...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 10:05 AM   #3
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyT View Post
I own a 2013 and had the front cap painted three years ago only to find out that the guy that painted it didn't do such a good job because it is stating to fade again...I was talking to a friend last night that mentioned using a wrap...He said would cost about $200 to do it...I don't know where he got that figure...It might be worth checking into, I know I will be checking...
In the past I priced replacing a couple of the graphics on the nose of a SOB 5th wheel & they were over $200, so it's doubtful they'd do the front cap for that, but it cost nothing to check it out.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 02:39 PM   #4
New Camper

Paint

Yes I look at the front and the back look like that I have 2014 are cruiser. Add a little water damage to the back, must have been bad time for workers
Jtoot123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 02:52 PM   #5
New Camper

Faded front cap

I just finished using POLYTROL color restore with the cleaner, the results are excellent
Attached are pics before after
Cost about $160.00
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 838B4D4F-CFD4-4928-AF71-D9CF52525F56.jpg (132.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg D005B151-A7B2-44B0-8CCA-FC52136D8307.jpg (196.8 KB, 26 views)
Not a happy camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 03:17 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

To gmccabejr - For decals check out rvdecalsdirect.com under Crossroads - Cruiser - 2008. They list decals which appear to be identical to the ones on your trailer. Cruiser is $72 and the Design is $148. This is Canadian dollars so probably around $125. USD. I ordered a set for the front of my 2014 Sunset Trail which came to $250 CD$ with shipping.

I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba and having my trailer cap painted for $2500. Talked to a sign outfit here and he recommended that the paint job would be better than the wrap due to the curves and ridges where they would have to cut the wrap to mold around them. Here it is $4.80 a sq. ft for wrap and then the installation.

To notahappycamper - when I seen your post I thought it was pictures of my trailer that I had posted. Then I seen your finished product and knew it wasn't mine, ha, ha. Too late for me to use your product. In to paint shop first thing tomorrow.
Old 06-21-2020, 04:21 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not a happy camper View Post
I just finished using POLYTROL color restore with the cleaner, the results are excellent
Attached are pics before after
Cost about $160.00
Looks nice now but wont last, you will have to waste your time again. Get it clearcoated now ,while theshine isthere . Right over the decals.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 10:15 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Dear Not a happy camper,

Please let me know how the finish is holding up after a few months.

I'm sure there are many members out there who would like to know. Thanks for your input!

2014 Cruiser Patriot 335SS
gmccabejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 06:46 AM   #9
New Camper

Faded front cap

I used the Polytrol last year and it looked great. After about 3-4 months the front cap started to fade again. Now it looks like it did before. This must be the product dealers use to make their used units look so nice.
Old 06-22-2020, 08:35 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

A friend of mine and I both bought Cruisers at the Hershey RV Show in 2013...He complained that his Cruiser had a white front cap while I was lucky and got the brown cap, while I at the time would have rather had the white cap...Have not talked to him about it lately but I am sure he would consider himself to be the lucky one now since he has not had to do anything to his front cap other than wash it...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
faded cap, front cap, paint