Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2022, 09:16 AM   #1
New Camper

RV Inside a Shop

Wife and I are planning on building a barndominimum/shop that has a small 1000 - 1200 sq ft home, room to park cars inside, and our Volante 3860RL. The RV will be used as a second bedroom for when we are not on the road and the kids are home for a few days. With that said, other than a 50A plug, water hookup, sewer hookup, and some type of setup to catch condensation from the AC units, what else would I need or would be nice to have. We are still in the planning phase of this and would like to try and avoid the "Didn't think about that" situations if possible. Shop will be completely insulated with spray foam. Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.
Shilliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 09:58 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I put a floor drain in mine so I could was car, truck, rv and tractors inside building. It is a plus here in Michigan for melting snow runoff of vehicles. The one thing I should've done was put in infloor radiant heat.
Old 01-01-2022, 10:07 AM   #3
New Camper

Floor drain was in the plans but the floor heat I didn't really think about. We are in central TX so we don't get as cold as you do in Michigan except for maybe 1 time every 10 years. It's not a bad idea though. When it does get cold here, below 60 lol, that would be nice. Thanks.
Shilliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 12:16 PM   #4
Site Team

A lot of the ones up here that have in floor heat run it year around just to keep the cement from sweating in the summer months.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 12:33 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Not actually RV related, but it is nice to have some recessed anchor pots for chains installed when pouring the floor. Not something you need all the time, but when you do need them, you will be glad you installed them.
BTW....If you do use the RV in the shop as guest quarters, make sure there is no way for the guests to use any gas appliance!!! Remove and store LP tanks outside.
Gladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 09:30 AM   #6
New Camper

Depending on your layout, I added a couple of items to my RV garage. I added a couple of windows (located high in the back wall) to allow light in during the day. My primary RV door also have some windows in the top row, so we get good light. This way you don't need to run the lights as often and with high windows you don't get a lot sun on the RV itself. Make sure you install bright LED light fixtures in the ceiling, since changing lights in a 16 ft ceiling is a bit of a PIA. I also added a regular (9' wide) but high lift garage door in the back. Make it easy to open up and gives some nice access. Depending on your layout, you could get by with a double wide door arrangement, but I like the ease of the garage door and it travels up and out of the way.
ggates58 is offline   Reply With Quote