Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2016, 10:18 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Slide Question

I've noticed that both slides on my 2016 when I slide them out the bottom starts out first then the top will go out. I've never had slides to do this and I am wondering if this is how the new ones work or should I be expecting problems to come?
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:55 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I'm not sure what type of mechanism your's is, or what you had in the past. But last I checked, CR is again using the Lippert electric motor driven under floor system for the bigger slide-outs. Many other brands use it as well. I had it on my '04 and now on the '11.

Anyway, the only attachment point between the drive mechanism and the slide-out room is under the floor. So, when opening the slide-outs, the floor will move first and the rest will follow. Also, there is nothing physical keeping the top of the slide closed against the trailer body but the tension produced by the bottom being tight. So, when closing, the top should touch the body first, compressing the seal, then the bottom will pull everything up tight and the weight of the slide-out will help keep it tight.

If you have seen the movie 'RV' with Robin Williams there is a scene when they are leaving the house in the motorhome for the first time, Robin makes a sudden right hand turn and the top of the main slide-out leans out about 6 inches. Proves to me they were using a stock motorhome and why it is important for proper tension on the slide-out system. Otherwise, you could be going down the road in a rain storm and every little bump in the road or turn you make would let the slide open at the top and let water in.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 05:31 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Thanks Dayle that describes what mine does. Even though I've been camping for over 30 years it seems I'm always learning; especially about newer things. I've owned 10 or so different camping trailers/Rvs and just haven't seen one do this. Thanks

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote