Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2022, 03:20 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

2014 Sunset Trail SF270bh Roof Bubbles

We have had this 5th Wheel for about 3 years and its been a good unit for us so far. Last year I noticed a couple of bubbles/wrinkles on the front area of the roof when I was up there doing some re-sealing and installing the Maxx Vent covers. This year I have noticed the bubbles/wrinkles look to be getting much larger and more of them.

Its hard to see what it looks like up there when we are travelling down the freeway but I suspect the front of the roof is bubbling up more when we are moving at speed and its just going to get worse if I do not deal with it. I am thinking of removing the rails that secure it to the front cap and sides of the front area and regluing the area in front of the vent.

What do you think of this idea?
What are the lines that look like tape on the membrane, is it fully glued underneath or is it just factory glued on these lines?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3505.jpg (250.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3507.jpg (221.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3508.jpg (265.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3509.jpg (229.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 07-12-2022, 06:47 PM   #2
Site Team

Depending on long you intend to keep your RV, this will fix the roof. It's expensive, but they guarantee it for life. No more seams . No more caulking.

https://rvroof.com/

Your roof looks like it's about ready to get peeled off some day when you are going down the road. You could get some 4 or 6 in. etenabond tape and go across the front putting half the tape on the front cap and half on the roof membrane. That should at least prevent the wind from getting under it and lifting/tearing it off.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 07:49 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Lloyd thanks for that info, I read a few articles where eternabond was used to seal the roof perimeter so thats an option. We plan to keep the RV for a few more years so I want to try to fix it but don't want to have to pay for a complete new roof.

I am still a little concerned that the rubber roof will bubble and get ripped/cut on the roof vent when it balloons up. I was thinking that I could also remove the roof vent and lift the membrane up from that point and try to get new glue under it from there without having to remove the strips holding it down on the front cap and sides.

What kind of glue is used with this roof? Is the glue sprayable or is it thick?

Thanks again
Old 07-13-2022, 06:39 AM   #4
Site Team

Maybe you can glean some helpful info from this link.
https://www.google.com/search?client...+roof+on+an+RV
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 06:20 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

I have a 2017 CR TT and the front of my roof has started to do the same. Before taking it out on a trip last summer I inspected the roof and it was fine. Upon returning and cleaning the bugs off the front I notice the roof wrinkling.
Old 07-17-2022, 07:41 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

I picked up a gallon of the Dicor roof adhesive and am going to peel back the front membrane in the next few days to see what it looks like. I suspect it was a poor glue job from the factory but we will see what the wood underneath looks like, it feels solid from the top. I will send an update once I get into it.
Old 07-17-2022, 10:16 AM   #7
Site Team

Please, let us know the results.

Good luck.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 07:06 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Yup....been there done that and I will second the RVFlexArmor roof as well. My roof looked similar to that and had also stretched and broke some of the caulking seams. Actually en route to Mississippi to have the FlexArmor roof done, it did balloon up and a passerby flagged me down and I was able to get pulled over and tamp it back down again for the last 2-hours of the trip....had to stay under 55-mph to minimize the balloon effect. The techs at the shop were able to pull the entire roof off in one sheet due to the lack of glue applied. As Lloyd has stated, if you do plan to keep, it is a great investment.

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote