Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2017, 07:22 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

A/C Problem

Hey All, I have a 2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB. This past week camped in Ohio. I will try my best to describe my issue. I turned on the A/C like I have in the past. Air turned on fan running and then you can hear the compressor kick on. This time within less than a minute the compressor kicked off. I turned it off and waited for the freon to equalize in the system. Turned back on again same thing happened. The temps were low enough to keep the windows open. After a few days thought I would try it again. Turned it on and everything worked great. After a couple of days the fan would turn OFF and then ON and back OFF within seconds. I keep the fan on LO and NOT on AUTO. I turned it OFF for a few hours and tried again, same thing happened. Turned it to HI fan and the fan kept running, but the compressor never kicked on. Not sure what the issue is, I'm thinking maybe a thermostat. Someone I know mentioned they have a control board and that could be bad. Anyone see this issue or have advice on A/C problem?

Thanks Chris
cberney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:34 AM   #2
Site Team

Are you sure there is enough/adequate power being supplied to run the AC?
I know that is the way the AC will act when trying to start it with to small of a generator.
Some campgrounds are older and don't have adequate electricity to power all the campers they are packing in.

Get yourself one of these. Then you will know how much electricity it is being supplied.
Amazon has them.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:40 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Never thought of that, but will look into that the next time I camp. Thanks
cberney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:43 AM   #4
Site Team

https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Product.../dp/B002P48KLK
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:36 AM   #5
Gone Traveling

While ordering, be sure to get a surge protector also to protect all the delicate electronics onboard & DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT. In opinion ALL rvs should be equipped with one from the factory, too many older (newer ones also) parks that have no one to inspect there power pedestals, I've had one surge protector fried & several occasions where it probably saved burning up tvs, refrigerator or who knows what else.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:18 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Not sure this is related but could be - I have 2 Dometic A/C's on my Cruiser and experienced the same type of problem a few months ago. Serviceman found a fried wire going into the compressor (probably the capacitor?). Worked fine for months till yesterday, the other wire fried - the one he replaced is still good. I was told this is sign that the compressor is going out and will probably have to get a new unit. Has anyone successfullly used a hard start kit to remedy this issue? I have a surge protector outside which shows L1 and L2 volts 117 - 122 Thanks, Max
Dodge 3500 Turbo Diesel 4X4
2012 CF305SKDF Cruiser Patriot
Max Dow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a/c, air, air conditioner, cooling