Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2017, 04:02 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Just bought

File first time post me and the wife just picked up a brand new 2018 Sunset Trail 290 QB only been out 3 times just love it my question is does anybody here have that model that has the solar plug in trying to figure out why I can't run my TV off the batteries do I need an inverter thanks in advance for all your help
Sunset calgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:20 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Yes you would need an invertor for any 120v load. Tv would need to be able to run off 12v without
Old 09-13-2017, 04:41 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

So the solar plug in is connected to a converter instead of a inverter correct
Sunset calgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:59 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Your solar set up should be hooked to the batteries to charge them. The converter also charges the batteries when the trailer is plugged in to shore power
Old 09-15-2017, 08:26 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Not sure, but I don't know of any rv that has a 110v plug that runs on batteries. I got an inverter, keep in front slam door next to batteries, to plug in extensions cords when I want to connect to fans, tv, etc while not hooked up to shore power. My guess is, solar plug is only for charging batteries.
2011 27' RLX
gregtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:57 AM   #6
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset calgary View Post
File first time post me and the wife just picked up a brand new 2018 Sunset Trail 290 QB only been out 3 times just love it my question is does anybody here have that model that has the solar plug in trying to figure out why I can't run my TV off the batteries do I need an inverter thanks in advance for all your help
I'm in the process of getting my rig to run on solar too...It's a 2018 Volante...that plug is pretty much useless, its just something they put there to help make the sale. I have yet to find a cord or plug that fits that that doesn't require sodering the wires to the plug.

With that said...you will need a different battery setup too. The battery it comes with is only rated at about 24 Amp Hours. You will burn through that in on overnight stop if you aren't careful.

I replaced my battery with two 6 volt deep cycle batteries that are rated at 125 Amp Hours. I bought a solar pannel with a controller that has aligator clamps to just clip onto the batteries. This will keep them charged an run all my DC things like lights, vent fans, water pump, and the slides.

I learned a lot from this Facebook group too, if you are really interested in setting up for solar this is a great place to start: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1730...853/?ref=br_rs

2018 CrossRoads Volante 310BH
35' Fifth Wheel
2002 Ford F-250 7.3L Diesel
CalebSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:41 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

If your desire is only the television, I would either get a 12VDC television, or one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009YR00MI You can use it for many other things as well.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote