Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2022, 08:02 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Volante 310BH Bad Leaf Springs.

Well,

My saga with one of the worst RV service Centers continues..

From day 1 I asked why the spacing between the axles was different from side to side.. "We measured everything and this is normal"

Only 4 trips in my new unit in the last 7 months. 45 days in my possession and the rest in the dealer. Various things that they said they did and absolutely did not do. Re-stretch the roof as it was pulling up. Hell no... Next trip I had a 8ft wide and 4ft long balloon on my roof. I didn't trust that they said it would be ok...

Well a new roof and then we went on a 3600 mile trip for Thanksgiving. I figured if there was going to be a problem with alignment it will show after the long trip.

Sure enough visible wear difference on 2 of the tires..
Called Crossroads while waiting on the dealer. Needed the dealer to confirm that this was an issue from day one. Crossroads said they would call me back. Instead I have to call them and they closed the case. Informed me I had to call Lippert. I thought there was a warranty? Called lippert and actually got some help. They opened a case and had me take it back to the dealer. Before doing so, provided pics and some basic measurements.
Other than having to wait for the dealer to do their crap. I finally found out the problem 7 months later... 2 of the leaf spring packs are faulty and flat....
New ones ordered and now MAYBE the dealer will finish the work.

Lippert did support me. Thank you..
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 06:22 AM   #2
Site Team

Sounds like you have had a time of it for sure. Hopefully they get the next fix taken care of correctly and you can get on with using your camper
What your experience has been with Crossroads sure leaves a lot to be desired though.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 02:33 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

It's nice that Lippert stepped up for the repair. Crossroads used to have a good reputation for decent quality for the price. We had a real good look at them in the mid-2000s and were impressed. Fast forward to 2010 we bought one, but should have had a closer look because the quality had dramatically fallen by then. I believe it was in the late 2000s that Crossroads was bought out by Thor.

2003 GM 2500HD 8.1/A
drzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 12:45 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

On a related note.

I noticed in Oakland that the rear tires on one side were a little close.

In needles California the shoulder bolt holding the front spring to the fifth wheel came out. The tires etc. then was released and began bumping the rear tire.

After a $1500 tow we luckily found a service garage that has been repairing these issue on a monthly basis. He had all parts necessary to fix us up in under 24 hours. He does one or more a month. I saw the pile of used suspension parts.

Bad news. The total bill was $6200. Good news is two months later my insurance company covered the cost less my deductible.

the moral of the story is. These shoulder bolts break. You should make sure yours are ok several times a year.

Typically the mechanic said the shoulder breaks off, however. the bolt usually takes a while to fall out. Up until then the tires wear quickly.
tomkatbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 01:12 PM   #5
Site Team

What exactly are you calling a shoulder bolt? I'm not familiar with that term.
Old 01-28-2022, 02:03 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

https://www.grainger.com/product/1JU...mpscsiADIOx72S
tomkatbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 02:42 PM   #7
Site Team

Thanks. I guess I had what is referred to as a S.M.
Old 01-30-2022, 11:02 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Gator
One of the people that we rally with twice a year has a Pinnacle, which is classified as a high end 5th wheel...Last season he had one of his springs break...He replaced all 4 spring packs on his camper...Too much stuff in this country is cheap China crap, and it is time to change that and go back to made in America...

I also bought a new 5th wheel at Hershey Show in September...I had one major problem and seven Very minor problems...Took the camper to the dealer before Thanksgiving...Just brought it back home this past Wednesday...They fixed the major problem, one minor problem, but had conflicting stories every time I called about the other issues...Finally got the MFG. company to agree for me to have a mobile tech do the rest of the warranty issues... RV customer service is a JOKE...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 11:53 AM   #9
Site Team

Glad you got it back Tommy. Get it ready for our May rally. (when the weather breaks)

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 07:57 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Mark
Yes every good weather day I get i will be getting it ready...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 07:25 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Finally all Original Complaints at delivery are taken care of.

Well, our new (lol new in May of 2021) 5th wheel is back in our possession.

The dealer fixed the last thing that I originally noted as a problem upon delivery and inspection. What a nightmare..

This dealer has over 300 open work orders and the site's General Manager is having about 8 conversations daily with people as upset as myself. As a result of internal issues with staff, hiring and some general practices, they are closing service to new work until they can resolve some of their current issues. We will see.

However I think (knock on wood) that all original warranty issues are resolved and now we can just enjoy the trailer. Adding 320 watts of solar on the roof and will expand to 640 later.. Now the fun begins...

As we move on to new campgrounds and better memories, I will not be darkening the doorway of Explore USA in Denton. Their failure to even communicate with me on a semi regular basis is not worth me going back. I fear for those that "Trust" that work is done and done right and do not have the experience to check the work themselves. On at least 2 separate instances, they had to go back and actually do work that they said they had completed.

Now, can I make it to the beach for my birthday weekend? We will see..
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote