Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2020, 03:02 PM   #1
PSG
New Camper

Question outlet for fireplace does not have power

On my 2013 Crossroads Sunset 25' travel trailer, I have a fireplace connected to an outlet inside the cabinet below it. The only repair that has been made recently was to replace the battery. After replacing the battery, we had some electrical issues (i.e. blown fuses 40 amp and a blown fuse in the sound system). These have been replaced. However, we are unable to resolve the issue with the outlet that the fireplace plugs into inside the cabinet. Tester shows no power is coming to the wires for this outlet. All fuses have been checked, all other outlets and electrical components are working fine. Any suggestions?
PSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 05:11 PM   #2
Site Team

Hello and welcome!

Please add the make,model and year of your camper to your signature. This helps us to better help you.

You say that you replaced the battery and had some blown fuses. That usually happens when the battery is hooked up backwards. With the colors of the battery cables it is easy to do and is a somewhat common occurrence. That said the 12 volt system has nothing to do with the fire place.

Have you checked the breakers - turn off then back on? Sometimes a tripped breaker is hard to see. Also is your camper 30 amp or 50 amp? If 50 amp are you plugged in at home and is it wired correctly? One other thing is the fireplace in a slide? If so check the junction box under the slide.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 06:11 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Is this TT new to you or have you owned it for a while? On my TT (30 amp service) there is a three position rocker switch, positions are; 1) water heater 2) off 3) fireplace. I can not run water heater on electric and fireplace at same time, its one or the other.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:57 PM   #4
PSG
New Camper

The fireplace is in partition between bedroom and living room/kitchen. the partition has the TV at the top, the fireplace in the middle and a sound system and cabinet at the bottom. The fireplace plugs into an outlet in the cabinet area.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:58 PM   #5
PSG
New Camper

Yes, mine is the same.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:50 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

PSG; It sounds like your setup is very similar to mine. The fireplace outlet on mine does not have power unless the 3 position rocker switch is flipped to fireplace mode.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:42 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

The toggle switch on my 2014 Sunset Trail Reserve is located on the panel just inside the main door way mounted on the side of the cupboard. The panel includes switches for the awning, slide, water/holding tank monitors, water pump, hot water tank and maybe a few other gadgets. As previously mentioned the hot water tank and the fireplace cannot both be on electric at the same time. The hot water will work on both or either gas and or electric but the electric must be shut off before the fireplace will operate.

Check this switch and shut the electric power off to the hot water tank and the fireplace should operate.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:41 AM   #8
New Camper

Outlet

I have been dealing with this.. there is a relay ( mine is accessible behind the drawers that are behind the electrical panel) that flips power from the water heater to the fireplace. Toggle the switch between them and listen for it. My issue was poor wiring and a lost neutral. I'm sure the relay is susceptible to failure also. Mine was in a metal junction box mounted to the wall in the void. It was hard to access.
and our Redbone Coonhound, Ellie.
Cape Girardeau, MO
EricR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 07:13 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricR View Post
I have been dealing with this.. there is a relay ( mine is accessible behind the drawers that are behind the electrical panel) that flips power from the water heater to the fireplace. Toggle the switch between them and listen for it. My issue was poor wiring and a lost neutral. I'm sure the relay is susceptible to failure also. Mine was in a metal junction box mounted to the wall in the void. It was hard to access.
I have the same problem. My outlet for the fireplace has 38 volts on it. Where did you find the junction box you mentioned in the last comment?
Chris1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 01:16 PM   #10
New Camper

outlet for fireplace does not have power -

hey all I know this is on old thread but i wanted to give you an update or another place to look to fix this problem...

I have a 2015 30re - 30AMP system. On the 30 amp system it has a rocker switch so that you cannot run the fireplace and the electric water heater at the same time. The rocker switch controls a relay. He's what happens. When changing out a battery you can blow a fuse (or in my case a dozen fuses) if you hook up the battery incorrect or attach a booster backwards. If your electric water heater works but your fireplace doesn't (or vise versa) no matter what position the rocker switch is in you have blow the fuse on this circuit. If neither work you probably blew the relay. I still don't know where the relay is located but just behind the rocker switch (in the wall) is an auto fuse that is blown. You need to remove the whole wall panel and pull the wires out to get to it. change that fuse and it will all probably start working again.

Hope that helps some people.... I plan on writing up a fix doc and posting it for anyone who hooks up the battery wrong.... It took me 5 hours but I found all the fuses I needed to replace.

Good Luck (GL Fan)
Minnesota Mark
minnesotamark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical issues, fireplace, outlet