Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2020, 01:12 PM   #1
New Camper

TV Mount Location

Looking for some advice for mounting a TV in the front bedroom and bunkhouse areas. I have a Sunset Trail 331 BH and both locations have a sticker on a wall indicating the location for a TV wall mount. I drilled a small hole in the area and felt almost no resistance. I put a small wire into the hole and felt no resistance until 1.25" deep. I'm not sure what is supposed to be back there, but apparently it is not where the sticker indicated it would be. My stud finder doesn't seem to be answer either as it does not provide accurate readings. Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a plate or something behind the wall and any ideas how to locate it without drilling holes all over the place?

Thanks in advance,
Steve
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 03:14 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

SteveH,

That resistance your feeling 1.25" deep is probably the skin on the opposite side of the wall, as that is typically the wall thickness.

To find the nearest stud I use the tried and tested age old method I've always employed.

Apply pressure with your thumb along the wall where you want to hang the TV. You should feel the thin 1/8" wall board flex pretty much wherever there's NOT a stud.

When you find a rigid area, give it a tap with your knuckle and listen to the pitch. Move left and right across the area repeatedly knocking, you should hear the pitch change and sound more hollow as you pass unsupported areas.

Once you find the highest pitch point nearest to where you want to mount your TV, run a thin, no more than 1/16" drill through the board, you should feel your stud. If you miss it, move left or right in 1/2" increments until you find the center of your stud. The TV mount base plate will cover the little holes you've drilled, if not it's time to get out the spackle.

Good luck, AND BEWARE, don't drill into the A/C wiring, plumbing or propane lines.

I've got more holes in my walls than a Swiss Cheese....Hee hee. Only kidding
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 12:25 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Steve
Everything Biggles told you is true and good advise...I have found though that things are not always where they are suppose to be, could be off to the right or left or lower or higher than marked...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 05:12 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

The wall brace in our trailer was above the sticker -- about 2 inches or so, if my memory is correct. I was able to pull the wall outlet and run a stiff wire in to find the mounting brace.

John & Cindy
Central Pennsylvania

2015 CrossRoads Z-1 208FL
JEH412 is offline   Reply With Quote