Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2011, 12:39 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

First of all I am new to the forum. I have been researching 5th wheels for several months

I am going to look at a 2005 Cruiser 29 MK

Looking at the pictures it looks in very good shape.

I would like to know what do I need to look for as far as issues or problems?

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Texas1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:21 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

OK, I will be the first to chime in with a few items. Some older models had an issue with broken/bent outrigger "fins". They are the triangular pieces under the sidewalls that are welded to the box frame and help support the walls. I would also look for any water staining/damage indicating a possible leak, especially at the ceiling and front corners. Test all the appliances and lights/plugs. Not sure of the floorplan but if you have access to any plumbing under showers, check for leaks, tightness, staining. You can also check for tire wear patterns. Basically do a PDI. You may not want to spend the time on the first look, but if this unit makes your short list, a second, more in-depth inspection may be prudent.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:55 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Any unit that has been cleaned up for sale can look good on the surface. But you need to look beyond that as much as possible. I believe you said it is a bank repo, chances are no one has made a special effort to hide problems, the original owner wouldn't make the effort and the bank wouldn't know what to hide. So, unless the bank paid a dealer to do a serious prep, then you should be able to see any serious problem if you inspect it carefully.

Also, if you find problems, and you probably will since it is a used unit. Then what is the nature of the problem, how long has it existed (i.e. created further problems), and what is the cost to fix. A leaking P-trap or other drain fitting is no big deal if it hasn't also rotted the plywood floor. A dead A/C is no big deal if the price is right, but a leaking A/C that rotted the roof plywood is a big deal.

Earlier this yr I sold an '04 29RK that was in excellent shape since I kept it in an RV port. Sold in 24 hrs at $12.5K, it had a lot of upgrades and I could demonstrate to the buyer that everything worked and he could feel that I was being honest. A bank repo should have an even lower price since you won't be able to get the same insight into the unit's history or really check out everything. For example, my unit had a bad converter and I could have charged the battery using a charger and not told the buyer, he wouldn't have found out til later. Instead, I replaced it. You also probably won't check brake shoes or wheel bearings before purchase and you won't know their condition til later.

Specific items to look at: 1) The outside slide seals, they may be cracked and falling apart, but also depends on the climate and if any slide seal treatment was used. Even if they are cracked, it isn't absolutely required that they be replaced, but cost is probably $200. 2) With the main slide extended, check the black plastic corner piece along the outside edge of the slideout floor. It is likely cracked somewhere along it's length. Inexpensive replacement parts available from CR and a few hrs work to replace. If badly damaged, then there could be some water damage to the slideout floor.3) Besides tread and appearance, check actual date code for the tires. 4) Roof vent lids, they become brittle over time, exposure to heat and small hail, and may need replacement unless there are aftermarket vent covers installed. 5) Of course the roof condition. A dirty roof can be cleaned and treated, but tears, failed caulk or nails/screws almost poking thru is a different story. Push down on the roof with your hand around items, TV antenna, frig vent, tank vent pipes, etc to check for rotted plywood. 6) Check the welds around the inside of the pin box mounting frame, use a flashlight and look at close as possible.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:06 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Thank you Stan and Dayle.
I looked at the 05 today. It appears in very good shape. The dealer left me alone and I went through the entire unit looking at all seals inside and out. I opened all cabinets and felt all around the inside and on the ceiling I did not find any week spots or any stained areas. I checked under the sinks in the kitchen and bathroom, the plumbing showed no signs of wear or leaks. I checked the ceiling and around the shower and the toilet and again no signs of leaks.
I checked in the storage units and the wood looked new, the paint on the frame was still glossy. The duct work is still in very good shape.
the under carriage looked in very good shape. the only issue I saw was the brake wiring to the pin box needs to be re mounted to the box.
It does need tires and the dealer said he would put on new American made 15" tires.
The roof look in pretty good shape for a 7 years old unit. the caulking around all the vents is discolored but I could not feel any soft or weak areas.
here is a link to some pictures.
http://community.webshots.com/album/580386065fVQwXu

I think the price is a little high but it is in line with what NADA says the avg retails is.
Thanks for all the input
Mike

Old 06-24-2011, 02:17 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

The pictures look pretty good. The Mission clamp in photo 42 tells me someone has probably dropped the black tank to do some kind of repair. It is a pretty standard practice to use this kind of clamp. Make sure the screws are kept tight. The cracked graphics is also common. Mine is an '07 and the grey decal is doing the same thing. Good luck.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:59 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

I want to thank all for their helpful information.
I made an offer on the 05 today and waiting to hear for the manager tomorrow.

https://i43.tinypic.com/rlz8tk.jpg

Life is too short not to live it as a Texan.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:15 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Good luck Mike. Let us know how it turns out.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:23 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Thank you.

I put in the offer for them to replace all tires with new American made radials, new brakes, new rocker recliners, and 1 year warranty on all major components.

So we will see.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:49 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Well, I have not heard back from the dealer... I called and left an message but no call back. I think the Dealer thinks I am dead set on this unit. So they are playing the waiting game on me.
This deal is dead. So I am going to keep looking.

Mike

Old 07-03-2011, 02:03 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Seems a bit strange they didn't counter the offer. Even if your offer was too low, they should at least respond with a counter offer. Good luck in your hunt.

Old 07-03-2011, 02:34 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas1949
Well, I have not heard back from the dealer... I called and left an message but no call back. I think the Dealer thinks I am dead set on this unit. So they are playing the waiting game on me.This deal is dead. So I am going to keep looking.Mike

Just give it some time, Holiday weekend so they may be slow getting things done and for sure they think given some time, you will become more flexiable. Don't call them back again, but don't be suprised if they call you back in the next few weeks. Absolutely, keep looking. And if the dealer does call back, be sure and tell them you are looking at other units.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:28 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan
Seems a bit strange they didn't counter the offer. Even if your offer was too low, they should at least respond with a counter offer. Good luck in your hunt.

I agree Stan... when I made my counter offer last week the salesman said he did not think the owner would take it... Oh well... it is not the only unit out there... I do like the Cruisers..
Might save up and get a new one...

Old 07-03-2011, 05:31 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayle1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas1949
Well, I have not heard back from the dealer... I called and left an message but no call back. I think the Dealer thinks I am dead set on this unit. So they are playing the waiting game on me.This deal is dead. So I am going to keep looking.Mike

Just give it some time, Holiday weekend so they may be slow getting things done and for sure they think given some time, you will become more flexiable. Don't call them back again, but don't be suprised if they call you back in the next few weeks. Absolutely, keep looking. And if the dealer does call back, be sure and tell them you are looking at other units.
Larry, it could be the holiday weekend... we will see... I won't call them... I was ready to order my hitch on Tuesday and have it installed on Friday.... I did look at a 2006 Salem and the asking price on it is less than my original offer on the Cruiser.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:46 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

best of luck in your search ,i am not sure but i believe a salem is more on the level of a zinger,or springdale,apples to apples,etc

2011 cf285rl patriot cruiser

07 dodge cummings
joescuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:47 AM   #15
Family Vacation Member

Well, I heard back from the salesman.... he said with all the additional items I wanted replaced would cost about $2500 so he said they would sell me the unit for $19K... he said they had to make money. I had to hold my composer to keep from laughing... I politely said thank you for your time but I am not interested.

Mike

Old 07-05-2011, 11:04 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

Keep looking, you will find what you are looking for at the price you want to pay.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:08 AM   #17
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter11
Keep looking, you will find what you are looking for at the price you want to pay.

Yes, I know I will... I am thinking of just saving up and getting a new unit.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:08 AM   #18
Seasonal Camper

if that unit is still there in a month or 2 (probably not because its a cruiser!!!) and your still looking, the price may become more negotiable...

'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF325CK

https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...4/S4011042.jpg
happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:43 AM   #19
Family Vacation Member

Thanks Matt... BTW... love your truck and 5er...

Old 07-05-2011, 11:50 AM   #20
Seasonal Camper

thanks
Do you have the 2011 and a 1/2 with the HO cummins?
Edited by: happycampers
'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF325CK

https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...4/S4011042.jpg
happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote