Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2014, 04:18 PM   #1
New Camper

2012 Sunset 31BH vs 2014 ZT31BH

So, we are looking at these two trailers. The Sunset is used, but comes w/ a 5 year extended warranty and the Zinger is new. We want a trailer with double slides, with one of the slides in the bunkhouse. With your experience which one would you buy? They are both priced the same with hitch included.

Thanks. This will be our first travel trailer.
mizhonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:36 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizhonka View Post
So, we are looking at these two trailers. The Sunset is used, but comes w/ a 5 year extended warranty and the Zinger is new. We want a trailer with double slides, with one of the slides in the bunkhouse. With your experience which one would you buy? They are both priced the same with hitch included.

Thanks. This will be our first travel trailer.
The Sunset Trail has fiberglass siding whereas the Zinger has metal siding, correct? I think they are probably both good trailers, but you will find the smooth fiberglass siding to be much easier to wash and wax. That extended warranty is also a big plus. If you do go with the used unit, look in every nook and cranny to be sure there haven't been any issues with water intrusion and rot, especially along the lower part of the inside walls along the perimeter of the camper and the floors. Otherwise, good luck with your purchase and I hope you have many great camping memories with it.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:38 PM   #3
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike06081969 View Post
The Sunset Trail has fiberglass siding whereas the Zinger has metal siding, correct? I think they are probably both good trailers, but you will find the smooth fiberglass siding to be much easier to wash and wax. That extended warranty is also a big plus. If you do go with the used unit, look in every nook and cranny to be sure there haven't been any issues with water intrusion and rot, especially along the lower part of the inside walls along the perimeter of the camper and the floors. Otherwise, good luck with your purchase and I hope you have many great camping memories with it.
Thank you! The Zinger is fiberglass siding as well. Thank you for the information on checking for water intrusion & rot.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:46 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Is weight an issue for you? I think the Zinger is much heavier.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:05 PM   #5
New Camper

Weight shouldn't be an issue for us. We have a F150 Ecoboost with Max Towing.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:19 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I vote for the Sunset if in good condition, should have the bugs worked out of it. Also the Sunset will tow much better with any 1/2 ton truck. That Zinger is 3/4 ton territory in my opinion.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:38 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

x2 Beamer5,

Aluminum trailers are usually much heavier than their comparable floor plans. I vote ST vs Zinger.

I'd go with the ST.

The ST is around 6800 dry. You should be just fine towing..I have the same truck (not max tow) and I pull a 300BH that's about 300 lbs lighter with no worries.

I don't recall the Zinger 31BH. The new zinger travel trailers are aluminum with a fiberglass cap. I checked the Crossroads website for the weight and can't find that model.

I think your looking at Rezerve 31BH, it has fiberglass sides. It is around 8400 dry. I recommend you research the capacities of your truck, I think you will find you are over the max for hitch or more commonly called tongue weight. If you don't already know, those weights are dry capacities, meaning stripped with no propane tanks, battery, accessories and add-ons, and don't forget your gear and "stuff". Tons of info on this forum on towing.

In short, the zinger Rezerve most likely is too heavy for your 1/2 ton. The dealer may tell you differently, but do your homework. I've said it on this forum a couple times, These F150 Ecoboost trucks are great towing but that hitch capacity still is what it is.

If it isn't a Rezerve, I'd ask you do a double check on the model and year, can't find that model.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:53 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

I also could not find the Zinger in a 31BH. I saw a 33BH. I had a 2013 ST31BH and now own a 2014 ST32BH. I'm partial to the ST's but the Zingers are very nice as well. I also believe they are heavier. As said above check your trucks limits. Unless your thinking of upgrading your TV (Tow Vehicle) you don't want to overload it. I speak from experience.
Both units need a thorough PDI. Check out the roof and look for any cracks in the caulking, specially around skylights. On the used unit don't be afraid to ask them to pop off the speaker below where the skylight is. If the wood under the fiberglass is dark brown that is a sign of water damage. I'm extremely happy with my TT. Be ready for some small issues and don't let them discourage you. You have to learn to be a jack of all trades when you own an RV. Buy from a reputable dealer. My dealer has made all the difference in the world owning my TT. There is a post with a very thorough PDI check list, when I find it I will post it here for you. Good luck!

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:55 PM   #9
New Camper

I was told by the dealer it is a Reserve, but an early 2014 model year build so it still says Zinger, but it's Fiberglass.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:04 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

A rezerve is a Zinger, you are correct.

Now we confirmed, you don't have enough truck to tow an 8300+ pound trailer. Go with the sunset trail and follow the recommendations previously stated to go over it with a fine tooth comb.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:23 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Agreed with many above points. We liked the ST, but we were buying new regardless and decided on a 2nd Zinger for many reasons, one being price.

If a comparable ST was available for same price, we would have bought it.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:35 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

I equally like Zinger vs ST. For us it was the weight of the ultralight that convinced us on our ST.

It is amazing how Crossroads maintains two lines of trailers that are so similar (ST and Rezerve).