Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2020, 09:56 PM   #1
New Camper

2013 Crossroads Sunset Trail 250RB - Buy??

We found a decently priced, 2013 Sunset Trail 250RB. Needs a little interior work (recover couch), but otherwise seems to be in good condition. We're upgrading from 20ft so want something with slide out and outdoor kitchen. This looks like what we are looking for.

I've seen negative comments about warranties and some quality problems. Looking to hear from anyone familiar with the model. Good one or bad one? Can't find much info on the web about this particular model.

I appreciate any guidance anyone can give.
kjmaggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 05:40 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I have a 2013 25RB which is like yours but has elec stabilizers, fireplace and drawers instead of door,dream dinette instead of fold down table and some more different finishes,and a fro t fiberglass front cap( your may have one also depends on when it was made). All in all it is good after I fixed a few thi gs. Had to get larger springs and axles and front cap painted cause of fade. Had to reseal bath skylight right away as they are usually all cracked from the get go. Unscrew the 8 screws in the shower and look inside to see if any water damage,only takes a few minutes.look in both front closets for water stains from leaking clearance lights.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 05:46 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Check out post here about "2015 sunset trail front cap". His 2015 had delamination on front cap.

Old 07-31-2020, 07:35 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

We have a 2016 250RB and love it - it has been the perfect couples (and a dog) trailer - though we have even done some extended weekends with grand kids sleeping on the fold out couch.

The only mods we have made have been plumbing the outdoor kitchen into the drain tank, beefing up the dinette seats with angle brackets, and a new mattress. We;re more into the camping than the tinkering...

It has received regular maintenance and new tires last year.

We have over 20,000 miles on it.

Just this last trip we lost the awning motor and the slide gearbox broke. Both easy peasy fixes - though trying to figure out how to close the slide brought about a little anxiety.

As we think about spending less time working and more time camping, we do think we'll want a bigger rig of some sorts, but would recommend this trailer to anyone.

Enjoy and safe travels!
blkdth1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:59 AM   #5
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 10:34 AM   #6
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmaggart View Post
We found a decently priced, 2013 Sunset Trail 250RB. Needs a little interior work (recover couch), but otherwise seems to be in good condition. We're upgrading from 20ft so want something with slide out and outdoor kitchen. This looks like what we are looking for.

I've seen negative comments about warranties and some quality problems. Looking to hear from anyone familiar with the model. Good one or bad one? Can't find much info on the web about this particular model.

I appreciate any guidance anyone can give.
With 7-8 year old rv warranty won't be a concern as there is none.
The 1st things I'd look at would the the tire date codes, if it's been stored for extended periods or they're at or over 5 years old they need replaced, possibly up 1 load range, regardless of tread appearance. RV tires age out long before they wear out.
Also the battery/batteries, the same here, 5 years old replace them or if it's been stored with the batteries connected they may be unable to hold a charge. If somewhat new check/clean terminals if needed & check water levels & top off with distilled water if needed.
If you don't have one already get a good quality surge protector/EMS in whatever amperage the RV, 30 or 50 amp, either hardwired for portable, this is the only way to protect your RV electronics from faulty wiring at campgrounds, or at your home if able to plug in there & use it EVERY time you plug in.
If you're somewhat of a handyman you should be fine in a used RV, or new, as there WILL be repairs, if not be prepared to leave the RV at repair facilities for months at a time, they can't possibly keep up nowadays.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 01:12 PM   #7
Site Team

There are Extended Service Plans available up to a 15 year old rv. One that I know of is the Good Sam ESP.

https://www.goodsamesp.com/fifth-whe...nded-warranty/

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:42 PM   #8
New Camper

Thanks so much! More info

Thank you everyone for the great information!

We went to see the trailer up close. Fortunately, it was raining pretty hard and there were no signs of leakage anywhere. The only issue is the front of the trailer started buckling so they overlaid with a hardiwood type of slats. Goes all way to top and has been sealed. They painted it the same color as the other parts of the trailer and so is not apparent until you get near.

Trailer has been owned by two couples - an older couple who purchased new and used up until a few weeks ago. Their friends bought it and fell in love with camping. They have a son (who we've met) who wants bunk beds so his friends can go. That's the reason for the sale.

Anyway, everything looks great; operates great; no issues that we could see other than the front and a couch needs recovering. We checked during the rain for signs of leaking from the front and found nothing.

Thoughts?
kjmaggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:38 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Good luck I hope you get great memories from it.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:10 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

If you get it ,to avoid having to reinforce the dinette bench with angle brackets ...like I had to...cut 3 pieces of 3/4 plywood about 6x6 and place under the inward corners and middle of slide when in . That way when you walk on it when in, it wont go to the floor resuting with the dinette seat back from separating from the wall.

Old 08-06-2020, 07:20 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Welcome to the Forum KJMAGGART. You will no doubt be back again to check on how-to DIY things. That's why we are all here.

I have a feeling that there has not been a trailer that has come off the assembly line that will never have a problem right from the get go. Mostly small things and a few big things. You have to take them all in stride and don't get discouraged.

We have a 2014 Sunset Trail Reserve ST25RB. This unit was built in 2013 and will no doubt be almost identical to yours.

Ours was second hand and the previous owner did take care of it to some degree but to be on the safe side I went through it from front to back. Replaced all the tires as they were due. Replaced all the bearings and packed properly. Took a 10,000mi trip that summer and no problems.

Second year we had to replace the underbelly as it cracked in a lot of places and some parts were hanging down. This is a rare occurrence but something you should check. Once I had the underbelly off I found the wiring in a mess and some had already shorted out. The wires were just laying on the coroplast underbelly with no retainers to prevent them from bouncing around and rubbing on the frame. The furnace vent tubes were also torn and had to be replaced. These things can be done with a little time and patience. Made a couple of trips to the northern US that year. On the way home the electric stabilizer snapped a shear pin.

This year - fixed the stabilizer jack myself even though Lippert said I needed a new one. Don't believe some of the things dealers tell you. Lots of things you can do yourself. Also got my front cap painted just like Harley's. If you have the chocolate brown cap you will eventually be looking at making it nice. Paint is probably the best solution. I found the decals at directdecals.com. Not the unit is ready to go for this year. What else can go wrong? Well time will tell.

You will enjoy your unit but there will be things that will go wrong. Hopefully nothing that you can't fix yourself. Just search the Forum and you will get the answer.