Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2013, 07:50 AM   #21
Site Team

That's probably why they don't want you to flip the axles any more. I agree, you used to be able to do that.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #22
Full Time Camper

Trailer axles are bowed up so that under a load the axles straighten out instead of bowing downward. The axles on our PP and my flatbed trailer are bowed up. The bow in the axle is built in camber.</span>
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #23
Full Time Camper

Hunter is right.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:53 PM   #24
Site Team

I don't know that I agree with the thought that they are bowed up so when under load they can straighten out. It that were to happen, you would lose the camber and cause the tires to wear on the inside. That would not make sense that you would have to put a load on your rig to get the right camber. I think they put the upward bow in them for strength seeing as they are using thinner wall material all the time. Years back the tube was straight and they put the caster and camber in when the spindle was attached/installed. Any way, that's my thoughts on the matter.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:03 AM   #25
Full Time Camper

Not sure about the technical aspects but I do think if bowing was more cost effective that is why it is so.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:38 AM   #26
Full Time Camper

This is from the "FAQ" section of the Dexter web site. Bowing the axles may add some strength, I was always told it was so they flatten out under a load so the tires run true.

AXLES - Why are some axles bent in the middle?
The upward bend in the axle is called "camber". Camber is the angular relationship of the wheel to the road surface in the vertical plane. Axles are typically built with a pre-determined bend in the tube that compensates for the expected deflection under load.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:46 AM   #27
Site Team

This is from the "FAQ" section of the Dexter web site. Bowing the axles may add some strength, I was always told it was so they flatten out under a load so the tires run true.

[/QUOTE]
This more then likely is right. What I don't agree with is the statement "they flatten out under load so the tires run true"
If you never put a load on a trailer, does that mean they are not going to be running true?
Old 09-06-2013, 04:23 AM   #28
Family Vacation Member

On the issue of Crossroads and their latest batch of TT's not being of expected quality I say....I'm almost convinced. I just recently realized that every Z-1 271bh TT I have seen except mine has an AC vent in the bathroom. Mysteriously I do not! I can be warm on the bowl in the winter but sweat in the summer? When I asked about this I was told "it can be installed off the main AC" Seriously? I really feel it was neglected to be installed during the build and just shipped out that way and dumb ass me enamored with the thought of buying a brand new RV for cash as if I were a rich dummy didn't even notice it until after all the ink dried. Well, I am hoping my email to CR's asking for this be corrected at their cost will be honored and I also have a number of warranty related issues with my TT at the moment that will require probably a month at the dealers to get fixed. C'mon guys!, do you want me to buy from you again? let's have some pride in our workmanship!
Z1 owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:39 AM   #29
Weekend Camper

You may think it will take a month, but plan on two months and fighting the dealer every step of the way.
2012: 10 Nights & 254 Miles

Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:49 AM   #30
Family Vacation Member

That's ok, I'm not using it anymore after that until next spring so they can store it for me and save me the storage fee for a few months....

Old 09-06-2013, 05:24 AM   #31
Family Vacation Member

Mine didn't have a/c duct either. The early builds had rear bedroom duct instead. Later ones had the runs flipped and no bedroom duct, but now have bathroom one.
I installed one, running off the bedroom duct run.
I also added a small heat vent in the rear bedroom, the duct to the bathroom is very close to the wall, making this quite easy to do.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:50 AM   #32
Weekend Camper

I think if your going to own any make of trailer it helps a lot to be handy.Hurray for duct tape.

2011 250 super duty

2012 Cruiser 305

https://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/...h_89f92fae.jpg
Livewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:30 AM   #33
Family Vacation Member

I want them to install it as it should have been there to begin with. I can't except that it's the way it's built as the idea of having heat but no AC is insane. and any argument they may have had is lost when you see that they have it installed in other TT's of the same model!, that cannot be a feature or special option. That is just plain lazy for whoever put it together to not install an AC duct in the bathroom.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:46 AM   #34
Full Time Camper

Just make sure you stay on them or you may still wait a month come spring. You cannot take anything for granted with most dealers. Unfortunatly.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #35
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilert123

Â* Buyer beware of Crossroads and anything that they build.Â* There warranties are not what they advertise and there trailers are crap.Â* I have a 2011 Crossroads Patriot Cruiser SK305 and it is falling apart.
Make the dealer put everything in writing and I mean everything.
Â*
Â*
Good Luck
Jim
As I asked you in an earlier post, which you did not answer, what are some of the peoblems you are having. I also own a 305SK, and there may be something I might not have noticed. If your intension was to help someone post some of the problems with the camper, so another owner can keep an eye on those areas also. Or was your original post just a one time rant
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #36
Full Time Camper

Tommy,mobilert123, made this post on 8/3 and has not been back on the forum since then. I think it was a bash and run kind of deal.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #37
Full Time Camper

Tommy I believe Keith has read this one right and I know you did also.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:01 AM   #38
mln
New Camper

If you look at the axle from the rear you will see that there is actual curve to the axle, my axle does not have this curve hence why my tire is wearing.
I bought the trailer new in 2011, spring. This summer I noticed the uneven wear and took it in. The dealer explain what was wrong and said warranty is up. Again the trailer is two years old, i contacted Crossroads directly, took over a month of emailing for them to say Sorry your out of warranty. This leaves me with a 1200 expense to get my axle fix plus the expense of new tires.
I have another problem, a phantom electrical problem. My scare light comes on and I cannot get turn it off. It has happen twice, the light comes on even when the switch is in the off position. The trailer kills my battery, I have to keep it hook up to an AC source or
within two weeks dead. I had to buy a new battery this year.

I am not saying Crossroads build a bad unit. I am saying beware of their warrenty once it is over you stand no chance to get help. Crossroads just does not stand behind their product.
mln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:33 AM   #39
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter11
Tommy,Â*mobilert123, made this post on 8/3 and has not been back on the forum since then. I think it was a bash and run kind of deal.
Keith & Al
I thought if I pointed out that fact he would get back on, and maybe share some of his problems. I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe so busy with CR hasn't had time to get back on the forum.

In God We Trust
Old 09-07-2013, 12:41 AM   #40
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mln
I have another problem, a phantom electrical problem. My scare light comes on and I cannot get turn it off. It has happen twice, the light comes on even when the switch is in the off position.
Mark
Just a shot in the dark, but do you have a key fob that you can turn your scare light on and off with

In God We Trust