Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2013, 02:25 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I was interested in buying a sunset trail 28 BH but having second thoughts, this forum doesn't paint a pretty picture. Is this brand as bad as everyone says? Does any one have anything good to say about it and the warranty ? It's a major purchase and don't want to make a mistake on which brand to buy.
Billpegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:47 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Mine has been perfect and we love it. Just find a good dealer with a good service dept. All my dealing with the people @ Crossroads have exceeded my expectations. Just make sure you do a really good PDI and nit pick every little thing before you take possession. The Sunset's are a lot of trailer for the money.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:29 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

When camping in our new 25rb, this spring we met up with lots of campers with new rigs also and when they walked into ours their mouths always dropped they were so surprised at how much more room we had, larger counter space, fireplace, outdoor kitchen, and their trailers were the same size. They were really shocked at the room our slide gave us. Many only had a couch or only had a dinette table. Our dealer has been wonderful and we love our new sunset trails.
kcandsting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:28 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I agree with everyone. No matter what you buy you need to do a thorough PDI. The dealer is extremely important, any warranty issues will be handled by them. We love our TT. We've had some issues but our dealer and Crossroads have handled them with no problem.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Same here, well built trailer with lots of features for the price. No major issues so far, Crossroads has been great to deal with for me.
We have about 7 trips so far, and 2 major ones planned this summer so will know better then.
Our previous Gulfstream had the slide roof rotted out at this point (8 months old).
Peter
Old 06-22-2013, 08:56 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

We have a 28BH and we love it. We picked it after researching several brands, but found that this trailer fit our needs the best. We have had no major issues. There has been some minor issues, but the dealer or myself took care of them quickly.

Dont be discouraged, I would dare to say the the majority of owners have little to no issues. If you like the floor plan go for it!

Todd
2013 Sunset Trails SF28BH
Accoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

We have had ours since January and love it. The only issue we have had is the black and gray water sensors stopped working while on an extended camping trip, a minor inconvenience. Once I got back home I took it to the dealer on a Saturday, and they called on Tuesday saying it was ready to pick up. Just a loose ground wire.
2017 - 500 miles, 9 nights
2016 - 3005 miles, 34 nights
2014, 14, 15 - 11,614 miles, 125 nights
dlwilliams48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Thanks everybody just wondering what a PDI is ? The kitchen island is a big selling feature for me, and will be attending the rv show in the spring to get the best deal. My only concern is I'm ten hours away from the closest dealer.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

PDI is pre delivery inspection many people take along avideo camera to record the process...ask how and have them show you how everything works...

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

You won't get the best price at a show most likely. Find a wholesale dealer like Wagners or Terrytown and go get it or have it delivered to your door step like I did.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

You don't think the rv show is the way to go ? I thought the more dealers the better the compitision same with the financing ? I heard of guys getting really good deals and extra stuff thrown in to make sure you buy there product.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #12
Site Team

The show bet the local dealers by about $8000. Plus thru in a bunch of stuff and hitch.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

That's what I like to hear !!!!!!
Old 06-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

We've only been out once in our ST25RB, but I love it. We have some awning LED issues as well as sensor not working on grey water tank. Everyone who see's it just say wow. It is a nice TT. Can't speak to support as I am waiting till after summer unless something major happens.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:58 PM   #15
Seasonal Camper

The MSRP on mine was over $33K and I paid 19,500 plus tax and license and not at a show. Get a quote from Jared at Terrytown RV and compare. This is not where I bought I played a few dealers against each other and saved even more.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:27 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

I agree with the others here in that a reputable dealer who will stand behind you and help you if you do have warranty work that needs to be done is the most important part of a new RV purchase. RVs are not like cars when it comes to dealers performing warranty repairs.
Most of the complaints here are from folks who are disappointed that Crossroads has sold out to Thor and they feel that the quality control and warranty have been cut. Those who have posted specific complaints about their units are relatively few when you consider the number of Crossroads products sold. Those with problems are always the most vocal on these forums. If they have a less than cooperative dealer, they may feel they have nowhere to turn and they come here to vent.

I've owned Forest River products before I bought this older Cruiser I have now, and I can tell you that quality control across the industry apparently isn't what it was before. If I were you, I would pick out a unit that has a floor plan you like, you feel comfortable towing, and buy it from a dealer with a reputation for customer service. After your purchase, learn to fix most of the minor things yourself and do routine maintenance on it. Keep it covered when not in use. And, most importantly, don't sweat the small stuff. Stuff is going to break from time to time no matter what brand you buy. Fix it and go on.

Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:29 AM   #17
Family Vacation Member

X2. Well said!
Old 06-23-2013, 02:59 AM   #18
Weekend Camper

Thank you for your imput, I'll do my homework . There are two brands we are looking ,the outback terrian 299 tbh being the other one . It's the little things we like about the 28bh and only $2000 difference it's making it difficult to choose. Both are very nice but I think it will come down to the warranty and quality.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:15 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike06081969

I agree with the others here in that a reputable dealer who will stand behind you and help you if you do have warranty work that needs to be done is the most important part of a new RV purchase. RVs are not like cars when it comes to dealers performing warranty repairs.
Most of the complaints here are from folks who are disappointed that Crossroads has sold out to Thor and they feel that the quality control and warranty have been cut. Those who have posted specific complaints about their units are relatively few when you consider the number of Crossroads products sold. Those with problems are always the most vocal on these forums. If they have a less than cooperative dealer, they may feel they have nowhere to turn and they come here to vent.

I've owned Forest River products before I bought this older Cruiser I have now, and I can tell you that quality control across the industry apparently isn't what it was before. If I were you, I would pick out a unit that has a floor plan you like, you feel comfortable towing, and buy it from a dealer with a reputation for customer service. After your purchase, learn to fix most of the minor things yourself and do routine maintenance on it. Keep it covered when not in use. And, most importantly, don't sweat the small stuff. Stuff is going to break from time to time no matter what brand you buy. Fix it and go on.

X3

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:49 AM   #20
Full Time Camper

[Most of the complaints here are from folks who are disappointed that Crossroads has sold out to Thor and they feel that the quality control and warranty have been cut.]

Crossroads was bought out by Thor years ago. That has nothing to do with their Q/C issues of late or the fact that they cut their warranty in half. That has all happened in the last couple of years since the new management came in. Prior to that point they seemed to be doing just fine. I am not arguing anything else in your post as I agree with what you said just not that part.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote