Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2009, 01:20 PM   #1
New Camper

We are currently looking for a 5th wheel bunkhouse model. We are very overwhelmed with all the models from different companies. We have narrowed it down to 4 brands. Cruiser 31 QB, Wildcat 32QBBS, Sabre 31FBDS, Cougar either 293SAB or 316QBS. Just wondering peoples experiences with any of these trailers especially the 31QB. With respect to the Cruiser we are not too keen on the dark cabinetsin the 2009 models. Also wondering where you wouldput a trash can?

We would liketo hear both good and bad things about the Cruiser 31QB (leak problems or any other issues and overall quality)

Still shopping
Old 04-06-2009, 09:53 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

we have the CF32BL have not had any problems with it. Our second Crossroads product. The trash can we keep under the sink away from the dogs. I like the factory support, and the warranty. The people at Crossroads seem to listen to their customers

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:53 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
I actually like the darker cabinets. The wife and I felt the light oak in 2008's and prior were "too 90's" for us.

As far as issues there aren't many reported and those that are get corrected by one of the best warranties in the industry. Crossroads is by far the most receptive RV maker I have owned a rig from.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:14 AM   #4
New Camper

Thanks for the responses so far. We found the darker cabinets to give the whole trailer a much darker feel almost to the point that you need lights on all the time, but I agree the new darker cabinets are a more modern look. We haven't been able to find the 31SB model locally to look at but would love to do so, it might even be a better choice for our family than the 31QB. The one minor annoyance with the 31QB is that there is no where for a trash can - the area under the sink contains the hot water tank so that cabinet is basically useless. Thanks for the feedback and please give these rookies much info as you can.

Thanks,

Shagnon

Old 04-07-2009, 05:16 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

I preferred the darker cabinets and floor as well. When you open the shades the large windows lets in a lot of light. We put the trash can between the linen cabinet and the steps...works great there but just have to move it when you shut the slide.

The Cruiser was over 1000lbs lighter than a similar competitors model and have large holding tanks. They have a good following.

I do miss the slide out bike rack on our previous Cougar.

2006 GMC 2500HD CC D/A LBZ

Sold 2002 Chevy 2500HD CC 8.1 3.73

B&W Turnover Ball Hitch with Companion
jgerni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:57 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

We came real close to buying the Wildcat 28rkbs, I loved the floor plan and every little nook and crannywas storage and they have a great place for a trash can, a little hole in the kitchen counter top with a lid, went to a door accessed from the outside and underneath where the trash can sat was a little spaceto keep trash bags.BUT, the all Alum. structure, overall weight reduction of 800#, 2/5 year warranty, 12 year warranty on roof, New hitch (instead of a used one) added reciever hitch put on the trailer. Won out. We ordered the Cruiser 29rk.
mosledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:35 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

On the 31SB I bought a Sterilite brand narrow kitchn basket with foot pedal. It seems to have been created for the trailer as it fits neatly between the entertainment center and step to bedroom and is right in kitchen. Also, the 31SB has a really cool storage area outside on the driver side with 4 shelves, 3 wall hooks and lots of places for my hoses, tools, chocks and other good stuff.

We like the front bunk design but could not come to terms with having the master shower and bathroom in the same space as the kids bedroom. Also, I didn't like the TV over the kitchen area. I like the dedicated ent. center I have.

It's all about trade offs and I feel the floorplan we chose fit us best.

I know this doesn't mean much becuase I'm a owner (and biased) but I did not like the fact that the Wildcat's used wood trusses for the roof and main living floor area. I prefer alum. framing as it resists elements and doesn't shrink like nominal lumber does over time. Also, I feel the quality on the Wildcat was hit and miss, one unit looked great but the next three would present serious fit and finish issues.

I felt the quality, fit, finish and warranty of the Cruiser proved their commitment to customer satisfaction. Please visit my link to see pictures of my 31SB.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:48 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

We have the 31QB and really enjoy it. The trash can we put along the wall that separates the master bedroom from the living/kitchen area. We have one small leak from our shower which I have read on here that others have experienced as well. (It is a tough one to find but does not amount to much water) I am sure one of these days I will find the source of this leak. Overall the 31QB is a great unit and our family loves it.

Edited by: iceman31
iceman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:58 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Have you checked out the 30QB? We too looked at the 31QB, but like the additional storage in the rear for the 30QB. I also like that all the slides where on one side. Why I choose CR was because of their service, factory support and that they answer their phones and returned calls promptly.

_popupControl();

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:38 PM   #10
New Camper

We went to look at the 31QB again. Just wondering how comfortable and convenient the air bed mattress is? It looks bulky and inconvenient. We would love to look at the 31SB but can't find one to look at closer than 4 hours away.

Does anyone out there pull the trailer with a new Toyota Tundra without problems?

Still shopping.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:03 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

I haven't actually sleep on the inflatable mattress but when i laid on it...it was comfortable. It inflates in a couple of minutes and deflates quickly.

I would not recommend using a Tundra with a 5ver this big...it's just not enough truck. IMO a 2500HD should be minimum. The pin weight gets heavy quick especially when the tanks are full.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:29 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

_popupControl();

IMHO - Your gonna be really stressing a Tundra with a 31QB that's loaded for a week trip. The max payload on the Tundra is somewhere in the 1900lbs range, the pin weight on the 31QB is about 1600# and a 5th wheel hitch is gonna be at least 150#. And this is before you even add 1 item to the trailer. Plan on doing any other work to the Tundra to beef it up?

'08 CF30QB

Old 04-13-2009, 08:32 PM   #13
New Camper

Our07 31QB doesn't have the air mattress we just have the sofa bed. We love the floor plan it is real family friendly. One of the biggest factors for us was the bunk room on the neck, it is large enough for all of our kids to watch tv, play games, etc on a rainy day camping. It isalso great for adults as well, 3 couples camped at the Talladega fall race I have found there is plenty of room.

A camping friend of mine asked me this question when I was trying to decide what model or brand to buy. " When you are walking back to you camp sight and you see the camper you bought, will it make you think of the one you didn't buy? " For us the one we wanted to see was the cruiser.

Courtlyn, Cole, Caleb, Cade

& Champ (Yellow Lab)

09 Chevy 3500HD

07 31QB

https://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...ackal/Rig1.jpg
TxCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:31 AM   #14
New Camper

Thanks for the input.

Salda01, We would consider any necessary work to the Tundra that would allow us to safely and legally pull the trailer. I think the truck has sufficient power but not the cargo carrying capacity. We are getting a new truck at the same time and would love to stick with a Tundra if possible.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:49 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

Tundra's are nice trucks no doubt�but I really think you are going to regret trying to pull a 35ft 5th wheel with it. It seems by the specs the Tundra would have the power but you will be well over it’s capacities with the weight. If your set on the Tundra maybe take a look at the Zinger line.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:33 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

_popupControl();

Have you checked out the Sunset Trail 32KS ? This is great lay-out for kids.. If CRhad this floorplan when we were in the market. It would have been in the running.

'08 CF30QB

Old 04-14-2009, 11:15 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

The Wildcat was nice. We looked at the 31QB but went with the 31SB. Our kids are bigger and the bunks on the 31QB are not that wide.

As for the Tundra, put a hitch on it and try pulling when you get the trailer. See how it feels BEFORE you buy another truck. If it feels OK, decision made. Otherwise rethink the Tundra decision.

Fiddich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:02 PM   #18
New Camper

Here is a little more about our situation. We currently have an 2005 Tundra so we will have to upgrade our truck. We would really like to stick with the Tundra because we have to use the truck as our second vehicle for commuting to work and it needs to be comfortable for everyday use but we also want a Fifth Wheel trailer. We have a budget of around $35K Canadian to spend and would like to get the best trailer for our money. So in a nutshell that is our situation.

We have enjoyed everyone's input so far and hope for some more.

Overwhelmed Shopping.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:02 AM   #19
Full Time Camper

To be honest after traveling over 2000 miles with our 2008 2500HD 6.0l gas truck I would not want to pull a trailer this size with anything less. In fact, I thinkit convinced the wife that in 2 years we need to start considering a new/used Duramax.

I hope to hit a scale at a Flyin' J's on the way back, but I suspect I am well over 9K loaded.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:14 AM   #20
Weekend Camper

I have the 2009 CF31QB...I could not have designed a better layout for ourfamily. Have logged 11 nights in the new rig so far and we love it. I have 3 kids 5 and under and the bunk house up front is perfect for them. I happen to really like the dark wood but understand your point about needing light.We looked at a bunch of 'bunk house' models at the NJ show in Atlantic City and I am really glad we settled on the Cruiser.

The minor issues are; the bunk house up front doesn't get enough heat...it's the furthest run from the source, easily fixed by addinga vent that closes in the main living area. The wires going out to the main slide were not straped properly and they were dragging on the tire, fixed with wire ties and orbungee. Some of the decorative corner pieces around the slides needed to be fastened better. We have the extra bathroom (which we also love) and you can't get to the pantry and rear bedroom without putting the main slide out...not really an issue but we like to stop and eat in there when travelling and you have to plan accordingly.

All these are pretty trivial when compared to all the features that we LOVE about the set up.

As far as a garbage can goes...that goes outside with the dirty diapers.

Bill

2003 F250 PSD

Central Jersey
JerseyBill is offline   Reply With Quote