Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

I am currently considering buying a new 335SS, but when I did my first quick inspection I noticed the following three issues immediately:

a) The black cloth underskirt has a series of slashes in it which have been patched whith heavy duty black duct tape - one slash immediately under the bathroom and then a series of slashes which travel down the left underside of the 335 towards the left wheels and the Sanitary output pipe. The undershirt is gathered around the wheels / output pipe and as a result the underskirt has tension creases emanating from the gather to all edges of the underskirt. As well the sanitary pipe has a large amount of yellow glue around all joints which are exposed.

Is this the standard way the the dealers prep / inspect these RVs? ( the inexperienced salesman stated this was the case when I asked.)

b) The fresh water fill pipe is white flexible ( accordion style) palstic tubing cut too long so that the fill cap will not seat in the bracket at the back left of the RV. Are all Crossroad RV's constructed in this manner?

c) On the back slope of the roof the rubber membrane has a bubble ( membrane is loose) of approximately 4 inches by 2 inches. Is there a concern here ( I have yet to do more that climb the ladder and look at the roof - I will be doing a thorough inspection later this week).

Any and all Comments are welcome and I thank you in advance.

2012 335SS

2009 Chev 2500HD 6.0 L gas
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:06 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

(a) Sounds like some water leaks were detected when the water/sewer lines were tested and the membrane had to be cut in order to get to the leaks to fix them. It is not uncommon to see these cuts and repairs in the membrane. If there are excessive cuts and repairs I would ask that the membrane be replaced.

It sounds like someone got glue happy when assembling the sewer pipes. I would ask the dealer to clean up as much as possible.

(b) The accordian style tubing is standard for the fresh water fill pipe. The dealer should be able to shorten this tubing so that everything fits right.

(c) Bubbles are quite common with a rubber roof. It most likely will never cause a problem; however, if you buy this unit make sure that you note it on the PDI and take a picture of it. That way you have registered it with the dealer. If it does grow larger in the future and repairs are needed you have already made the dealer aware that it was there.

We purchased our unit in April and have really enjoyed it.

'04 Dodge 2500 Quadcab CTD
gball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:53 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Thanks George. The underskirt issue was the one that concerned me most. I am glad to hear that cuts are common. I will make sure that the unit is completely tested before I buy.

2012 335SS

Old 08-31-2011, 12:38 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I would agree with George on everything however, the bubble would concern me a little if it runs next to the end cap. Sometimes the glue gets wet and will release causing the bubble. If you have a seam leak the bubble could get larger as time goes on. I would get up on the roof and look at the front cap seam, and around all the vents and skylights in the roof. Make sure all the sealant is not cracked were water could get in.

I had some problems with the roof and had to have them fixed. This will be something the dealer will look at each year on the yearly inspection.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:43 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Thanks George- You have mentioned my exact concerns - Don't worry I will be inspecting the roof and the under belly extensively.

2012 335SS