Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2023, 07:09 PM   #1
New Camper

Considering buying a sunset trail. Quality?

I am currently looking at a 2014 sunset trail 290rl I love the layout and design of the camper as also the light Weight of it but have looked up some reviews about sunset trailers and have seen a lot of negative so I’m looking for some more input. Would like to know if anyone has giving problems withleaking or trim falling off or appliance issues and if anyone has one around the same age how has it held up? Thanks for the input in advance!
Twalker14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 07:51 PM   #2
Site Team

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The main thing about reviews is the squeaky wheel gets the attention. Also some do not understand that a BIG part of ownership is maintenance. It does not matter if it is new or old it is not a matter of if but when.

It has been said pulling your camper down the road is like driving down a railroad track in a cat 3 hurricane. Do they leak depends on if you keep up with proactive maintenance otherwise any brand will leak.

There is a trade off when buying a ultra light. They are made with lighter materials to keep the weight down. The same size camper may be a couple thousand pounds lighter than another camper. That is the trade off. People want a 1/2 ton towable camper 30+ feet long so it has to be light.

In the past we have owned several different brands. Crossroads to me seems to be on par with any other one. One last thing to remember is the box is really the only thing built by the manufacture. Everything is off the shelf. The same brand of stove may be used by several different manufactures.

Not sure if this is your first camper or your 10th but in the documents section there is a good PDI -Pre Delivery Inspection list that you can down load and take with you. If you have any other questions just ask. Some of us have been around these things for decades and if we can help we will.

Good luck!
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 09:53 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

We’ll said!

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 09:30 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

I totally agree with dagst1.

We own a 2012 Sunset Trail 26BH, new off the lot and have had our share of issues.

Broken Hitch Jacks (X3)

Went thru 5 tires as the axles were WAYOUT of spec and Crossroads, nor the dealer, nor Lippert Manufacturing would provide any support or warranty (we bought in May discovered the problem with the axels in June, 13 months later) everyone told us: out of 1st year warranty and Lippert told us the axels were in fact over 24 month old so we were out of luck.

Slide quit working (although this was after 3 years) but still 3 years! Repair was over $2500.00.

Absolutely, can not walk or store on the roof.

1 bench back rest has pulled the "attachment screw(s)" from the wall and so far I have not managed to figure out how to fix it as there is no wall stud to screw to and the wall wood is like 1/8" thick.

Front end cap has oxidized so bad that a brown cap looks like it is a murky grey.

Entrance step weld has broke, and the entire under belly would need to be removed to repair the step.

All in all I guess nothing to to major but certainly that quality would take care of that.

The big issue as I see it is that the public want light and inexpensive therefor the manufactures under size most stuff ie: axels, cheaper tires, thin building material. For these reasons things will not change.

dagst1 is correct I see 30+ foot trailers being pulled by vehicles that shouldn't be pulling a tent trailer. The neighbours across the street have a Audi SUV and are pulling a trailer longer than ours and think all is good, which it is on a flat road, no head wind, no panic situation in either avoidance or braking. Ask me we got into a cross wind that would have blown their unit over, I drive an F150.

But the car manufacturers rate the vehicle towing capacity (lets say 6000 pounds) and the RV dealer tell the customer "Oh yea you're good to go, no problem".

All in all it is a crap shoot and you must be willing to do a lot of maintenance, and it doesn't matter whether it is a $10,000 unit or a $500,000 unit.

Good luck.

2012 Sunset Trail by Crossroads
29BH
2016 F150 Lariat
egrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 02:15 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Late to this thread...but we are taking a delivery of a Sunset Trail (2022) this friday. Seems like a nice unit. Time will tell.

Totaly agree on the maint. aspect. We have been doing this many years with dirffernet class units.