Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2010, 12:44 AM   #1
New Camper

Folks I need some help. I am debating betwen 2008 CROSS

ROADS SUNSET TRAIL 31QB and 2010 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 24T the links for the two trailers are below. The price is the same. Dealer wants 18K (Canadian) which traler comppany has better reputation JAYCO or CROSSROADS. Which trailer will last me longet? I ve read some posts where people were unhapy with there 31QB ("slopy craftsmanship, furnace issues") Any comments are appreciated.

Jayco Jay Feather
http://www.1000islandsrv.com/mod.cfm...&IDrv=5254

VS
<h1 id="preview-local-title">CROSS ROADS SUNSET TRAIL 31QB</h1><h1 id="preview-local-title">http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-RVs-campers-trailers-travel-trailers-campers-2008-CROSS-ROADS-SUNSET-TRAIL-31QB-W0QQAdIdZ232055025

</h1>
Baron Von Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:28 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78

Why are you comparing 2 vastly different model years?

If it were a direct match against the 2010 Jayco and a 2010 Sunset Trail I'd say the ST wins hands down; double the r-values, twice as much wall framing, insulated tanks, real plywood floor and roof, etc.

The Jayco has a 1.5" laminated walland laminated floors/roof (just a perimeter frame with foam core and luan).

mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:52 AM   #3
New Camper

I am comparing the two becouse price is the same and 2 years difference really does not make a difference if I am buying a trl to keep for 10-15 years

Old 10-11-2010, 03:49 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

From what I could tell, the Sunset Trail 31QB has basically the same layout as our new (actually a 2010 model year) Cruiser 30QBX. The difference is that we have a small dinette in the rear bedroom that folds down to a bunk as opposed to 4 dedicated bunks.

we found the Cruiser layout to work well. we have a2 large dogs and2 small dogs that go with us and over the weekend we took it out for the first time. We had plenty of room.

there are only 2 downsides to this layout. 1is the placement of the television and 2 is that you cannot access the restroom or the rear bedroom without the slide being opened out. Neither is a show stopper.

We bought the Cruiser because of Crossroads construction methods and because the nose is more aerodynamic than most

dc

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:27 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

can't speak for jayco, but i can tell you that if you have a issue w/ a crossroads product, the factory will stand behind it. no matter what you buy, chances are you wiil have some kind of problem. its just the way all these trailers are built. the difference is how you get treated after you purchase the trailer. i would reccomend a crossroads trailer, and when i need to upgrade i'll buy crossroads again. good luck.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:52 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

We almost pulled the trigger on the ST, had the paperwork in process, but then switched to our now CF30QB.

Both Jayco and Crossroads build decent products. In terms of overall quality, it's going to be really hard on used units. You have no idea on how the previous owner maintained them, so really inspect them for wear and lack of maintenance. Look at the caulking, my guess would be the CR unit will need some being 2 years older. Will the dealer be willing to do this?? How's the roof? How are the tires?

If I recall correctly I believe the Jayco unit slides aren't as deep. Is this important to you? Look at outside storage, this was a huge issue for us, I wanted as much as possible. Are the holding tanks size an issue? How about water heater size? The ST might have a 10 gallon. The ST may have a larger fridge 6cf vs. 4 in the Jayco.

I would think there is a lot more room for negotiation on the ST... $15k would be more like it.

Good luck

Edited by: salda01

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:53 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Because of the way they have the fridge placed, it even could be a 8 cubic ft fridge, that is what ours is and it is in the same place as that one is.

As Salda01 said, the depth of the slides can be a factor. When I open up our cruiser, the room becomes quite large. As I mentioned, we take 2 large dogs with us, 110 and 100 lbs respectively, plus us, our 14 yr old daughter, a beagle, and a shi-poo. We had plenty of room.

Also read the DOT codes on the tires, here is a link to determine the age of the tires, as they look great but still a couple years old

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11

Our 2010 model had tires made in 09 (because of when it hit the dealer's lot).

Also look at the wheels, 5 lug or 6. I am not sure that either has an advantage of the other, but our extra 5 lug wheels that had the E rated tires now won't fit our 6 lug axles. So I am going to have to get some more cheap white spoke wheels (I pull the good tires off and put tires to sit on during the winter). So if you have an extra spare, or another set of wheels, they might night fit anymore.

dc

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:41 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Sorry but a two year old "new" trailer has been sitting wayyyyy to long. My 2009 was built 2.5 years ago, what's the build date of that 2008?

Perhaps you need to look around, plenty of dealers selling 2011's at 30% off MSRP.

JMHO.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:20 AM   #9
New Camper

I in Kingston Ontario Canada. The selection is not that great around here hence they tend to charge a little more. Ottawa and Toronto have better selection buy they are all 2-3 hours drive. Thank you all very much for your info. I am thinking this delema might be resolved by chance becouse the Jayco might be sold now. Thanks again

Old 10-12-2010, 01:07 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Look at RVWholesalers.com, they help with Candian Customs and deliver to the border.

You can build several brands on their website and the $$ you save will be amazing.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:22 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

There are also some very good dealers in Ontario that at this time of year will be more than willing to work deals on delivery and price. One is near Orillia and they are good to deal with for Crossroads.

CF33LF PROVINCIAL EDITION
SWAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:04 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

It might be worth a drive to the Toronto Congress centre this weekend (Oct 15-17) for the big RV show. If you are interested in a Crossroads product, talk with Thomas or Felix from Layzee Acres RV sales. They will be at the show and will likely have a good selection of trailers. They usually offer discount prices if you buy during the show. We bought our 2011 Cruiser 30SKP from them at the spring RV show, they are the greatest people to deal with. They are located just east of Orillia near Sebright, they also run a camp ground there. I know they are a little far from Kingston but I think you would be hard pressed to find a better dealership anywhere.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

2007 Chev 2500 HD, D/A 4x4

2011 Cruiser CF30SK Provincial.

https://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/...way/th_014.jpg
Rambleaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:15 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Did you post this question also on Jayco forum?
I am interested to know what Jayco people said.
Mt answer is-CR all the way.

CF29CK 2006

F-350 2006

https://danyshula.blogspot.com//
danyshula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:39 AM   #14
New Camper

Send a message via MSN to ksmith
Hi Everyone!!! as per SWAILES suggestions....we just purchased our new Crossroad Cruiser through Layzee Acres in Orillia. awesome to deal with and to boot we paid 8000 less than the dealers that had the same model in northern ontario. from kingston though it is at least a four hour drive. i say its worth it. we too himmed and hawed between a jayco and a Crossroads. bottom line. value for dollar...Crossroads was the best by far!!!

2011 Cruiser CF32MK

2003 Chevy Duramax Crew

ksmith is offline   Reply With Quote