Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2010, 12:21 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

At the RV show in MPLS last weekend we saw our first Kingston and talked to a Dist. Rep. (I think his name was Matt). After doing some additional research we are now looking seriously at the Kingston for our 5th wheel purchase. However, we have not yet owned a 5th wheel of any brand. So for all of you who have a Kingston and have had other brands in the past please tell us the differences that you notice between the brands that you have owned and why you are now with a Crossroads product. Thanks.

Greg
klr650goldwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:11 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

We were also at the Minneapolis convention center for the RV show. We have owned a variety of 5th wheels, Designer, Alumascape, Cedar Creek, Carriage and more before that. We have owned two Crossroads Kingstons and are now looking at a third. The Kingston is one of the few TRUE all aluminum 6-sided structure 16" O.C. (non-laminate) that remain in the industry (We've been thru the factory twice). Many other manufacturers claim an aluminum structure, but all they use it for is to hold up their styrofoam walls, which are glued together. You can identify the laminate wall units by the lack of any electrical outlets on thewalls. With a Kingston you can easily locate one of the aluminum studs by finding the seam tape which joins the inside decorative panels. Then you can measure 16" either way to find another aluminum stud. That makes it easy to hang pictures, towel bars, coat racks, clocks or whatever....whole lot better than running a screw into styrofoam. The Kingston is the least expensive of the few all aluminum structure manufactures still out there. They have one of the best warranties in the business. They back their product with outstanding service. If you look on their website they have a 20 page manual describing how the units are built. They are NOT ashamed to show the inside of the walls. Other manufacturers will show just a tiny bit of the wall components showing one aluminum stud. They don't tell you you the next stud is at least two feet away and don't count on that. We currently have a 2010 Kingston KF33SK but have decided it's just a little too big so we are trying to find a way to downsize a bit to the Kingston KF30SB. We have looked at all the competition in this category (Cedar Creek, Sunnybrook, Carriage) and have owned two of them but in our humble opinion, Kinston provides the best bang for the buck. The other units have a bit more elegant interior but Kingston still provides a very comfortable attractive interior. Let me know if you have any questions.

2012 Cruiser CF325CKP

2010 Ford F-350 6.4 SB 4wd

W0CSC

Semper Fi 59-63
calliopeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:22 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

We have also owned a number of fifthwheels over the years. We had Fleetwood products(Now out of business), Our last was a Keystone Cougar. Crossroads has a far superior product. We have a Kingston KF34TB, the construction and quality is well above many other manufacturers for the amount you pay, most standard features on the Kingston are options on other units. We had a few minor warrenty items which needed to be fixed, the dealer we had was terrible and refused to do anything for us. I contacted Crossroads direct and they referred me to another dealer to have everything repaired and even sent me replacement parts to our home for me to install myself( I asked for this). Crossroads after service far exceeds what I expected. I would recommend a Kingston to anyone who asks. Feel free to send me a personal message and I will provide you more information.

Rob,Sue&Cyndi

2008 Dodge 3500 6.7
RSCREES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:33 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

We have a Kingston as well, our first. We looked at just about everything in the industry and settled on the Kingston based on quality, layout, price. The unit has worked out very well and after 2 weeks in Yellowstone, I was not ready to leave the trailer and go back home: it is that comfortable!

Go for it, you won't regret it.

2008.5ish Kingston KF30SB

2008 Chevy 3500 dually
sheltieRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:35 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calliopeguy
. We have owned two Crossroads Kingstons and are now looking at a third.

3?!!!

I am still working on my first!

2008.5ish Kingston KF30SB

2008 Chevy 3500 dually
sheltieRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:20 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
I don't have a Kingston but I do own it's little brother the Cruiser (which has the same basic construction).

The unit is well put together and the customer service is superior even to my Jayco I previously owned and head & shoulders above a previous Sunnybrook Sunset Creek.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:34 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Ditto to what Mike said. We are on our second cruiser and have looked at a lot of competitors. Nothing compares to Crossroads for quality, bang for the buck, warranty, and service. Period!
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:11 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

You may find some of the response on this forum a bit bias to Crossroads, but even if you check out RV.net you'll find many positives with the CR product lines. I have had issues with my unit, but all units will and I can attest that my experience with CR has been nothing but positive. Our previous trailer was mfg by R-Vision, purchased new at a Wal-Mart type camping / rv reseller and our experience both with R-Vision and the dealer was nothing but a nightmare and this was 5 year before the economy crapped and R-Vision / Monaco went Chpt 7. When we purchase again in another 5 or so years we'll definitely look at CR.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:52 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

We've had two Crossroads and one Sierra. We were never really happy with the Sierra,but we'venever been unhappy with the Crossroads. I
lynlou14760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:40 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to KHUNLINDA2003
I can tell you that after over 40K on our Crossroads Silverado that the next 5ver we buy WILL be a Crossroads. Even after the horrible roads in Alaska such as the Taylor Highway (really a dirt and mud road with loads of potholes) and the Top of the World highway the 5ver held together better than our F550. One thing for sure if a manufacturer won't give you the same warranty that Crossroads has, you will be in for a tough time trying to get any defects fixed. After 5 yrs of snowbirding I have heard so many stories of rvers that deal with very poor customer service.

2003 Beaver Marquis

formerly 2004 Silverado

two ragdolls, Flash and Bandit
KHUNLINDA2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:57 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Hi Greg -- we have owned 4 fifth wheels in 14 years, including 8 years as fulltimers. The current one is a 2001 CrossRoads Paradise Pointe that we bought "new" in '03. It is the best we have ever owned in all aspects -- construction, design, durability, options, equipment. As a result we have ordered a new Kingston that we will take delivery of in about a month. There is nothing wrong with the '01, in fact we had some factory work done when we were in the area last fall and were very pleased with what Randy and his crew did. But the PP is almost 10 years old and while not a maintenance problem yet, the operative word is "yet." So we will reluctantly say farewell to the best rig we have ever owned with confidence that our new KS30SB -- will be just as good, maybe better. I hope you enjoy yours as much.

Bill
Old 04-12-2010, 04:04 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Hey Bill,

Thanks for your information. With the help of your input and a few other peoplewe are totally convinced that a Crossroadsis the trailer we want. Thank you for taking your valueable time to send information to us.

Greg
klr650goldwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:32 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Hey RSCREES,

the photo brings back memories of my Navy days.

When did Crossroads put conning towers on campers?

How deep will it dive?
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:01 AM   #14
New Camper

FOR THE PRICE POINT YOU'LL NEVER BUY A BETTER 5TH WHEEL THAN A KINGSTON. THEY ARE THE LITTLE BROTHER OF THE SEVILLE, WHICH IS AN INCREDIBLE 5TH WHEEL. THE KINGSTON CAN BE ORDERED WITH THE SAME SUPER R-FACTOR INSULATION PACKAGE, AS THE SEVILLE. THEY HAVE A 2 YR. BUMPER TO BUMPER WARANTY, AND 5 YRS ON THE THE ENTIRE STRUCTURE,FULL GEL COAT,RADIUSED ROOF, AND MANY STANDARDS THAT ARE OPTIONS ON OTHER BRANDS. SORRY IF I SOUND LIKE A KINGSTON SALESMAN, BUT I AM. AND GUESS WHAT, I OWN ONE . I SELL 7 BRANDS OF 5TH'S AND WOULD NOTHING BUT CROSSROADS. IF I CAN ANSWER ANY OTHER QUESTIONS FOR YOU, FEEL FREE TO CALL JOHN LEWIS AT 712 242 5592
Old 05-19-2010, 10:12 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

We have a 2006 Cruiser and my brother had a Montana FW. He was impressed by our Cruiser, but the Montana didn't impress us at all. Too dark inside due to smaller windows, too expensive and a lot more weight than I care to pull. He bought it from a dealer 300 miles from his home and ended up doing all of the labor on warranty problems himself (glideout leaking hydraulic oil into the carpet, faulty inverter, and water system problems). My Cruiser dealer is six miles from my house.

Aaron (grandson who lives with us)

Tawny (Yellow Lab)

2006 CF29RK

2010 F250 V10 CC SB

Pullrite Superglide Slider
DUNWRKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:45 AM   #16
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee
Hey RSCREES,

the photo brings back memories of my Navy days.

When did Crossroads put conning towers on campers?

How deep will it dive?
Hey Seabee

Deep!!!! Actually taken in St.Catherines Ontario, it is one of the oldest lighthouses....

Were you actually in the Navy? I have been for 23 years, soon to retire.

Rob

Rob,Sue&Cyndi

2008 Dodge 3500 6.7
RSCREES is offline   Reply With Quote