Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #21
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Farmer
The salesman at the FW dealership checked with their maintenance dept and they said it would be fine.

Just remember---most everyone of those sales people will tell anything you want to hear just make that sale.
Have fun, be excited, just don't believe everything you are told. Keep a little common sense.

x2 also Ford specs state height of tail gate from ground is 57" so double check but that sounds like you are looking at a stock height that xtra 1/2" could be tires.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:59 PM   #22
Seasonal Camper

Just in case you were not figuring this into the cost.............you will need a fifth wheel hitch in the bed of the truck. There are adjustments that can be made to the hitch and the king pin of the camper for clearance between the bottom of the camper and the top of the truck bed. IF the truck is to tall and you can't get the camper level or you do not have enough clearance after making adjustments you may need to raise the camper. They sell lift kits for the suspension. This is extra cost you may not be thinking about that can be $1,000 or more. For a pull behind camper you buy a drop receiver to achieve a level ride and with a load distributing type of hitch you can also get into extra $$$. Not trying to add to the confusion or influence you one way or another ( i prefer the fifth wheel myself) but just wanting to throw out all possibilities. Good Luck and enjoy whichever way you decide to go.
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:43 AM   #23
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradswife
I really appreciate all of your help.Â* I went by and measured the F250 today.Â* It is 44" from the ground to the top of the wheel well and 57 1/2" from the ground to the top of the truck bed.Â* I think maybe it is leveled and not lifted.Â*Â* We need to take it to our mechanic to have him look at it and see if it is indeed lifted.Â* Can you tell from these measurements?Â* The salesman at the FW dealership checked with their maintenance dept and they said it would be fine.Â*

Also found out that the 2013 FW has been reduced another $2500 so now the FW and the TT are within $1500 of each other.Â* Seems to make sense to get the FW, right?Â* It seems like a good time to buy 2013's.Â* The FW is a Cruiser Patriot 305sk.Â* It weighs 9090 dry and 12,305 GVWR.Â*

We are feeling overwhelmed but excited if this all works out ok!Â* I really appreciate your help, we don't want to make a mistake!
You aren't lifted at that height. The 6.7 is an incredible engine for towing. I tow the 345RF in my sig with a heavily modified 2011 F350 - same weight loaded (12,300lbs) as the 305sk and you won't know it is there with a stock F250. That being said, it will handle differently than a travel trailer due to its height, but it is overall a better towing experience once you get used to the differences.

It is likely the previous owner put the 4" blocks in the rear because the F250 came standard with 2" blocks. The 4" blocks keep the truck more level when you put the weight in the box and in your case the fifth wheel pin weight. The truck will sit down enough that it will be more level once connected and you may even need air bags in the rear to level it further but that should be optional. In the future if you choose air bags can reduce the bounce and chucking that can occur while towing by stiffening the rear suspension to assist with the added weight - and obviously to level the truck if the rear end sags. If you have stock 2" blocks in the rear, the cheap alternative to air bags is installing 4" blocks, that is what the F350 comes with stock and won't affect the ride.

If you have the 5th wheel Prep on the F250, go with the Reese Elite 18k (slider if a short box), it is adjustable height and 4 motion head - very happy with mine and love the clean box when hitch is out (no rails). B&W also makes a great hitch now with a slider that can use the same mounts.

Edited by: WildWildWest
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:46 AM   #24
Full Time Camper

I have also owned both and I don't think I will ever go back to a TT. The ease of hook up and the 5ver tows much better. Even though you loose your bed you have a lot storage in the 5ver to make up for the loss of using your bed. Good luck in your decision.

Chris & Karen- Heyworth, Illinois
2009 CF32BL pulled by a 2011 RAM 2500 CTD 4x4
PullRite Superglide 18K hitch
2015stats:
Nights: 28
Miles: 3245
longhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:54 AM   #25
Weekend Camper

We have towed both regular travel trailers (two of 'em) and a fifth wheel (2011 Crossroads Patriot 325CK). No comparison when it comes to towing. Even with all the stabilizing stuff you can put on a regular frame (equalizing) hitch, the trailer still sways in a stiff breeze. And when you are passed in either direction by a bus or a semi, it feels as though you are about to be blown off the road. With the fifth wheel, you don't really even know it's there in the strongest of crosswinds or when you are passed by a semi. They tow wonderfully. Friends of ours bought a regular travel trailer a few years ago, were scared to death by how it behaved on the road and traded it in on a fifth wheel the next year. They love the fifth wheel.

and Aggie the Gordon setter

Twin Cities

2011 Cruiser Patriot 325CK

2011 Ram 2500 diesel
dbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #26
Pnr
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuster
We have towed both regular travel trailers (two of 'em) and a fifth wheel (2011 Crossroads Patriot 325CK). No comparison when it comes to towing. Even with all the stabilizing stuff you can put on a regular frame (equalizing) hitch, the trailer still sways in a stiff breeze. And when you are passed in either direction by a bus or a semi, it feels as though you are about to be blown off the road. With the fifth wheel, you don't really even know it's there in the strongest of crosswinds or when you are passed by a semi. They tow wonderfully. Friends of ours bought a regular travel trailer a few years ago, were scared to death by how it behaved on the road and traded it in on a fifth wheel the next year. They love the fifth wheel.
A Hensley or pro pride would have solved all the problems. You never know trucks or cross winds exist.Edited by: Pnr

Pnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:02 AM   #27
Weekend Camper

Great discussionon TT vs 5ers. After a 27 ft TT My wife and I decided on a 5er for one overall reason: Extended stays ( more than one week) made the TT too cramped for my Wife and myself and one dog. This was mainly due to the lack of storage. A 5er has so much more room. I love all the other benefits as well, quicker setup / take down time, better towing. Overall a better experience.

2012 335SS

2009 Chev 2500HD 6.0 L gas
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote