Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

We've been looking at the Sunset Trail 32rl TT and like it a lot. Then, we saw the Fifth Wheel Cruiser 305sk. We had not been thinking of a Fifth Wheel but he asking price is only $4500 more than the TT. We are going to buy a F250 Diesel. Do you think we should go for the 5th wheel and if so, why? We like the outdoor kitchen and long sofa in the TT but others have suggested that the 5th wheel is so much easier to tow.

bradswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Janet
I own a 305SKP and can tell you we love the wide open floorplan. Our Patriot is a 2013, before it we owned a 2007 30SK, yes the same floorplan. I have never owned a TT so can not tell you how they tow, but I can say the 5er tows like a dream. You can see what I'm towing with by my signature

PS....Much more storage in a 5er.Edited by: sleepyT
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:45 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

We have had our 2013 305SK for two seasons and love it. Lots of counter space, and big windows. We had a TT for 17 years prior to this and wanted something with more living space. As much as we enjoyed travelling with the TT I don't think we'd ever go back to a TT after having the 5th wheel.
Retired02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:39 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

We like the openness of a fifth wheel. Like they way they tow. I have had tow behinds and fifth wheel. You may find that a fifth wheel is easier to hitch and unhitch.

I opted for a 3500HD - long box (8 foot). Higher GVWR and more room in the box for stuff. Plus I put 12' kayaks on the top of the truck when towing.

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:41 PM   #5
Site Team

I have owned both. The 5th wheel has been by far the easiest to tow. If you want to spend the money for a Hensley hitch for the tt you will be in the same towing comfort zone as with a 5er. The 5er will have more storage space, it also will be higher, requiring more fuel to pull it. If you store your rig inside it will also require a higher building to get it into.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:50 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyT
Janet
I own a 305SKP and can tell you we love the wide open floorplan. Our Patriot is a 2013, before it we owned a 2007 30SK, yes the same floorplan. I have never owned a TT so can not tell you how they tow, but I can say the 5er tows like a dream. You can see what I'm towing with by my signature

PS....Much more storage in a 5er.

WE also own the 30SK and both enjoy cooking, great kitchen area. We travel with two Portuguese water dogs and really like the openess. Great unit for a couple. Best of luck in your decision
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:18 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

The openness is great. Labor Day weekend 2 of the kids came out where we were camping. We had 6 adults and 6 grand-kids (under 10) in the trailer, noisy, but everyone had a place to sit and not really feeling crowded. Ladies talking and the guys watching TV and talking.

FWIW this is my second 5er after using TT's for years. I will never go back to a TT.Edited by: avvidclif
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:43 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Just our take on this...
We started out in a small motor home(26') with two adults, our two children and two dogs. Only "weekended" back then and a week's vacation each year. Our children are grown and on their ownnow. I retired seven years ago to join my husband as we travel for his employment, not yet full time, but for extended time. In between we had a 30' travel trailer with one slide(and no storage), a 37' 5th wheel with four slides(and lots of storage)which we used for the pastsix yearsand loved it; and wejust traded it in on our new 41' 5er. Wecouldn't be happier with the front living roomfloor plan, the amount of space and storage.Our two Dobermanstravel with us also. We would not go back to towing a trailer across all the miles we put on. Hitching up the fifth wheel makes the truck and 5er one unit. So easy! You hardly know it's even back there!
2016 High Country SILVERADO 2500HD DURAMAX/Allison
RJHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:16 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

We've had our 5th wheel 4 yrs now, and don't regret moving up from a TT. With the hitch point over the rear axles, it tows extremely well on the highway. No sway from passing semi's, very steady and solid. You will have more storage room, and the overall length with a 5th wheel will be less. It does take getting used to the different way the trailer tracks behind the truck, but once you master that, you won't regret it. I also think it is much more maneuverable when backing into a campsite.

2008 GMC 2500HD Duramax

2009 Cruiser 30SK Patriot

jererp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Having owned both, I think a lot depends on how you are going to use the rig. If storage is a high priority, then definitely a 5er. If better fuel economy and lower cost is a big concern, then maybe a TT is better. For fulltiming and long stays away from home base, I think the 5er is the way to go.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Traded my Cruiser TT for a 335ss Cruiser Provincial. The floor plan in the 5ver is excellent. WRT ease of towing - they both have their peculiarities - my TT was an easier tow - but it was also smaller and 1000lbs lighter. The 5ver has more "sail area" to catch wind!!! The F-250 is a good choice (diesel?). Although the outside kitchen was a desired option, i simply use a small coleman stove, small bbq. The 5ver has great outside storage. Lots of good info above... I still like the 5ver over over the TT based on floor plan and headroom....

Roselyn and Darrell
2007.5 Silverado LT/EFI Live Tuned Duramax/6Spd Allison/Banks Ram Air with Super Scoop/Edge CTS Gauges/Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate Air Springs
2014 335ss Cruiser Provincial
Retired Navy
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:48 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Thank you all SO much for your help. There is so much to learn! Now I have another question and maybe I need to ask it on a different thread, but...we found a 2012 F250, 6.7L Power Stroke 4V Diesel V8, 3.55 electronic axle, FX4. It has been lifted, I'm not sure how many inches but I can get in by stepping on the sidestep. Is this a good thing or a bad thing for a FW or TT?
Old 09-09-2013, 11:30 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Could be not the best for clearance betwen truck bed rails and trailer. a minimum of six inches is recommended. I have basically the same truck stock no lift kit (I am assuming yours is a short bed) and have almost 8 inches with my hitch in the topmost height setting. Truck and trailer are level.
I did add air bags as I had about an 1 1/2 inch of squat they provide a nice ride while towing.
It would be best if you could actually hitch the truck to the trailer to see. Lastly if you are getting a good deal you could go back to stock. I am extremly happy with my Ford. Good luck I am sure others will have input and opinions.
Edited by: socoguy
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:33 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradswife
Thank you all SO much for your help. There is so much to learn! Now I have another question and maybe I need to ask it on a different thread, but...we found a 2012 F250, 6.7L Power Stroke 4V Diesel V8, 3.55 electronic axle, FX4. It has been lifted, I'm not sure how many inches but I can get in by stepping on the sidestep. Is this a good thing or a bad thing for a FW or TT?
Myself, I would NEVER want a truck for towing that had a lift kit. The newer trucks are high enough starting out that can create a problem trying to get everything set level.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:49 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

I have a question for the 5er owners: Do you find the extra steps up into the trailer and the 3-4 steps up to the bathroom bothersome? I've never had a fifth wheel and I'm just curious about that.
mbutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:56 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

We have the 305 skp and no trouble with steps.We had a TT with rear entry previous to this trailer and I made another step we carried with us because the entry was so high.Our entry door now being close to centre makes for a much better entry.

2011 250 super duty

2012 Cruiser 305

https://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/...h_89f92fae.jpg
Livewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:12 AM   #17
Family Vacation Member

Trucks are generally lifted for two reasons - show or off-roading. They affect steering, and mileage - simply because they typically come with larger tires. The last thing you want when towing is something else reducing your mileage - if that is a concern for you. The newer Powerstrokes are good engines - but a few questions on its history would help, like what was it used for? This may prevent you from buying especially if it was used in off-roading or pulling competitions....Check injector history - were there any replaced, were any engine or transmission mods done, key things to know.....

Roselyn and Darrell
2007.5 Silverado LT/EFI Live Tuned Duramax/6Spd Allison/Banks Ram Air with Super Scoop/Edge CTS Gauges/Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate Air Springs
2014 335ss Cruiser Provincial
Retired Navy
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:39 AM   #18
Seasonal Camper

the new trucks are tall enough that i have seen a few fifth wheels that had to be lifted a couple inches to set level and allow enough clearance between the bed and the bottom of the trailer. A local RV shop actually lifted one to fit a very lifted truck (the owner had more $$$ than brains). After the lift the 5ver was to tall to get out the door (not much on brains at this shop either). If you have a truck that is lifted I would think about either changing trucks for a 5ver or getting a TT. You can use a drop receiver with a TT real easy.
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #19
Weekend Camper

<table ="tableBorder" align="center" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><t><tr ="msgOddTableRow" style="height:200px;min-height:200px;"><td ="msgLineDevider" valign="top">I really appreciate all of your help. I went by and measured the F250 today. It is 44" from the ground to the top of the wheel well and 57 1/2" from the ground to the top of the truck bed. I think maybe it is leveled and not lifted. We need to take it to our mechanic to have him look at it and see if it is indeed lifted. Can you tell from these measurements? The salesman at the FW dealership checked with their maintenance dept and they said it would be fine.

Also found out that the 2013 FW has been reduced another $2500 so now the FW and the TT are within $1500 of each other. Seems to make sense to get the FW, right? It seems like a good time to buy 2013's. The FW is a Cruiser Patriot 305sk. It weighs 9090 dry and 12,305 GVWR.

We are feeling overwhelmed but excited if this all works out ok! I really appreciate your help, we don't want to make a mistake!
</td></tr></t></table>

Old 09-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #20
Site Team

The salesman at the FW dealership checked with their maintenance dept and they said it would be fine.

Just remember---most everyone of those sales people will tell anything you want to hear just make that sale.
Have fun, be excited, just don't believe everything you are told. Keep a little common sense.